• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small poops always stasis?

I’m finding this a really hard call to make she’s eating pellets frequently and a bit more hay. She does get quiet stressed after about 2ml and is really flighty with me all the time at the min which is making it even harder to pick her up and more stressful each time I have to. I’ve so far left it 3 hours as she’s eaten a good quintity of pellets. I’ll go to bed about 1am and be up for about 6 and am thinking if I give her a feed befor bed then one as soon as I wake that maybe it would be good also to see how her poops are in the morning but also worrying it won’t be enough.

She seems more her self now though which is good and I swear Harlequin is making up for it. I turn my back for 2 mins in the hallway and there is poop every where which isn’t quiet her normal thing lol

I’m finding this a really hard call to make she’s eating pellets frequently and a bit more hay. She does get quiet stressed after about 2ml and is really flighty with me all the time at the min which is making it even harder to pick her up and more stressful each time I have to. I’ve so far left it 3 hours as she’s eaten a good quintity of pellets. I’ll go to bed about 1am and be up for about 6 and am thinking if I give her a feed befor bed then one as soon as I wake that maybe it would be good also to see how her poops are in the morning but also worrying it won’t be enough.

She seems more her self now though which is good and I swear Harlequin is making up for it. I turn my back for 2 mins in the hallway and there is poop every where which isn’t quiet her normal thing lol

I would do as you've suggested, and leave it from 1am to when you get up.

If she's eating a good number of pellets, it really may not be necessary - is she enthusiastic about eating them?

I had to give up the last feed. Each tiny bit took either about ten mins to swallow or she spat it out then after trying to get 2ml into her she started chattering which I know can be a sign of destress :( so I stoped.
Iv added extra pellets and fresh hay into the hutch so I’m hoping that will carry her through the night. She is livley and inquisitive and Iv seen her drink and eat pellets with gusto and small amounts of hay but I’m still worried. I’ll ring the vet in the morning if there’s no change by then

It does sound to me like she’s doing well at the moment. I think abandoning the syringe feed was a good call. As she’s eating more for herself there isn’t the urgency to get food in her tummy with syringe feeds. Funnily enough as they start to feel better they often get a lot feistier, which makes the syringe feeds even harder!

The fact that she’s behaving more like her usual self is also a very encouraging sign.

Sending lots of overnight vibes for Beauty xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to give up the last feed. Each tiny bit took either about ten mins to swallow or she spat it out then after trying to get 2ml into her she started chattering which I know can be a sign of destress :( so I stoped.
Iv added extra pellets and fresh hay into the hutch so I’m hoping that will carry her through the night. She is livley and inquisitive and Iv seen her drink and eat pellets with gusto and small amounts of hay but I’m still worried. I’ll ring the vet in the morning if there’s no change by then

I've replied to your PM :)

I wouldn't worry about the syringe feeding. If she's bright and eating and drinking, and also importantly pooping (though that's harder to tell with two) then she should be OK overnight.

After a morning check you can ring the vet for advice if needs be.

Did you say whether you came away with any gut motility meds? Sorry I can't remember :)

Thanks zoobec much appreciated.

Scrappy’s little helper- just couldn’t keep going it was breaking my heart and she was squeezing which is not some thing she’s done before.
I’m glad you think she’s doing ok. Her gut is definantly moving it’s the size that worry’s me.

Maybe I’m projecting but both my girls seem to be nose bumping me and trying to get my attention much more then usual. I don’t move tho as when I do they just race off.

Good morning every one. An update on bueauty after yesterday’s vet visit and stasis episode.
I let both Beauty and Harlequin out in the hall way which I had added lots of fresh hay to. There has been lots of zoomies in the last half hour from both so I went out to check and found lots of small poops. In half an hour she has managed to create such a mess it’s rediculas :) Beauty definantly seems perky and happy this morning which is a big improvement on yesterday afternoon. I will see how she does through the day and keep you all updated.
Thank you for all the information vibes and kind words it really made a difference to how I felt and gave me the confidence I needed to get on and do it rather then completely freaking out over the situation.

I’m glad that Beauty is feeling a lot better :thumb: I’m glad RU helped you get through it, that’s what we are here for :love:

Glad to have a more positive update from you this morning :)

I think you made exactly the right call to stop the syringe feeding last night. As I've said to you, you will naturally get different views from forum members on what to do in this sort of situation. Your task then is to look at what is being advised and make a judgement depending on what you see with your rabbit. This is what you did and well done for that :)

It seems to me that she is improving and I think that you should continue as you are by keeping her stress free and not introducing any foods she hasn't had before.

If you are still concerned when the vets are open, you could ask for advice if her poops are still small. They will maybe provide you with some more gut meds to give at home.

I hope your daughter is coping well with all of this.

Good morning every one. An update on bueauty after yesterday’s vet visit and stasis episode.
I let both Beauty and Harlequin out in the hall way which I had added lots of fresh hay to. There has been lots of zoomies in the last half hour from both so I went out to check and found lots of small poops. In half an hour she has managed to create such a mess it’s rediculas :) Beauty definantly seems perky and happy this morning which is a big improvement on yesterday afternoon. I will see how she does through the day and keep you all updated.
Thank you for all the information vibes and kind words it really made a difference to how I felt and gave me the confidence I needed to get on and do it rather then completely freaking out over the situation.

So good to hear this :D

As your confidence grows it will become hopefully a bit less worrying. Most stasis episodes resolve themselves, and although we don't always find the cause, they don't seem to cause ongoing problems.

I hope she continues well today :)

How's your little girl doing? Does she help you to clean up your barnyard hallway? ;)

She’s still not eating what she should be so I have rung the vets. Got to speak to the nurse and she’s still concerned about the size. Iv asked if there is any thing I can be given to get her gut moving better at home so I will be getting a call back from the vet shortly.

Brandi is struggling with seeing me feeding her and knowing beauty is not well but fingers crossed she won’t go into shutdown with it.

And yes MM she has been helping cleaning up the hallway they are her rabbits after all :) she also helps clean the hutch and feed and water them. I Havant allowed her to syringe feed Beauty though ( even though she’s asked) as Brandi presents with many physical problems including tremors which would then be dangerous to Beauty in this situation.

You're doing all the right things :thumb: Hopefully, the vet will call back with some suggestions.

You're both getting a "crash course" in rabbit care :) It will give you more confidence to deal with any health issues in the future.

yeah and it’s a whole load of stress and emotions but I wouldn’t change it. Better to learn now so I know for future but then I’d rather no one had to go through it at all.

Being a first time rabbit carer I’m wondering about all sorts of things that may have caused it or contributed towards it. They don’t get the chance to get at most things unless I think or thought it was rabbit safe. The reason I say thought is because being on here quiet a bit I have some doubts about things I bought in the beginning but they have access to.

The main 3 things are:

One of those carrot patch hidy toys.
Beauty especilly goes for this quiet often and has almost devoured 2 of the carrots already but Harlequin hardly ever goes for it.

The rose pettles I gave on Christmas Day.
I gave them to both but like people I understand animals react diffrently to different things.

The cleaning stuff I use in the hutch and on the floor sold in pets at home that is meant to be safe for animals. Iv heard of white vinegar and want to try it but is that the distilled vinegar or white wine vinagar?

Whilst it can be good to try to establish the cause of this episode, it is likely that you will never know for sure. If I had to guess, it would be the fact that Beauty was removed from her Mum and litter-mates and put in a strange place with another rabbit, who was "probably" unknown to her. This is not something that could have been anticipated or prevented and indeed Harlequin is unaffected by the same events.

Going through the things you have listed as possible causes, is it possible that you could post a link to the carroty things? It's always wise to look at ingredients on anything like this that you buy. Top of the list of ingredients to avoid would be sugar, but in my view that would be unlikely to cause a gut slow down. If Beauty is eating a lot of it though, I would remove it, certainly until she is completely better.

I doubt whether the rose petals would have done any harm and I can't imagine you gave them very many.

Personally I do not dis-infect their space every time I clean their accommodation. However, I doubt whether doing so would cause any issues. I think white vinegar is distilled and some people consider this a purer vinegar than others.

Did you hear back from the vets?

Whilst it can be good to try to establish the cause of this episode, it is likely that you will never know for sure. If I had to guess, it would be the fact that Beauty was removed from her Mum and litter-mates and put in a strange place with another rabbit, who was "probably" unknown to her. This is not something that could have been anticipated or prevented and indeed Harlequin is unaffected by the same events.

Going through the things you have listed as possible causes, is it possible that you could post a link to the carroty things? It's always wise to look at ingredients on anything like this that you buy. Top of the list of ingredients to avoid would be sugar, but in my view that would be unlikely to cause a gut slow down. If Beauty is eating a lot of it though, I would remove it, certainly until she is completely better.

I doubt whether the rose petals would have done any harm and I can't imagine you gave them very many.

Personally I do not dis-infect their space every time I clean their accommodation. However, I doubt whether doing so would cause any issues. I think white vinegar is distilled and some people consider this a purer vinegar than others.

Did you hear back from the vets?

I agree with everything Omi has said :thumb:

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/pets/large-vegetable-play-patch?

That’s the link to the carrot toy. I have removed it. It didn’t come from pets at home though.

Could the move and every thing to do with it affect her a week after it has happened then?

I will get some white vinager and try this then and also cut down on the amount I disinfect.

I’m glad it shouldn’t have been the rose petals.

Have rung the vets and they have had Emergancy so just need to wait as only one vet on call.

There is no proper list of ingredients in the carrot toy and I can't find the exact one anywhere else to check. However, there is a very similar one on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Animal-Activity-Boredom-Breaker/dp/B004FGF5J6. If you look at the reviews for this, one person has mentioned that the toy is covered in glue, which has caused a tummy upset. It doesn't of course mean that your one is also covered in glue, or that if it is then this caused the problem for Beauty. However, it's good that you've removed it. It's possibly significant that you'd noticed that she was eating a lot of it and also of course she is very young and so has a delicate tummy. It could of course be that it wasn't the problem at all.

Yes, I think that she could have been affected by the move after a week, as the slowdown in her gut would have been very gradual. Was it Beauty also that was leaving Cecotropes?

Rabbits' tummies are much like human's. Some will be very robust, but others will be more sensitive.

The main thing is to get her better, which you are doing.

Vets rang back and asked me to pick up some metacam.
On top of that he saying to tempt with herbs and other foods. But as she’s not had any thing like this ( as the breeder didn’t give any of his veg or forage and I wanted to do a pellet change first) I’m reluctant to try it as I dont want an upset stomach as well as the stasis if that makes sense.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated although I know a vets advice should be adheared to but he him self said he doesn’t have much experience with rabbits there usherly is 2 rabbit savy vets but because of the holidays they are not there at the moment.

Vets rang back and asked me to pick up some metacam.
On top of that he saying to tempt with herbs and other foods. But as she’s not had any thing like this ( as the breeder didn’t give any of his veg or forage and I wanted to do a pellet change first) I’m reluctant to try it as I dont want an upset stomach as well as the stasis if that makes sense.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated although I know a vets advice should be adheared to but he him self said he doesn’t have much experience with rabbits there usherly is 2 rabbit savy vets but because of the holidays they are not there at the moment.

Good that you've got some Metacam. These issues are painful and a rabbit will be reluctant to eat if it's in pain. Vets would normally give Metacam and also ongoing gut meds for a few days, but it's possible that ongoing gut meds are not appropriate for a very young rabbit.

It's a difficult one regarding the herbs and other foods. Normally this would certainly be the advice and it's something that I would be trying. However, you have the added complication of her age. Is she still eating pellets and a little hay? Tempting a rabbit with herbs will usually be the advice if the rabbit has stopped eating, to ensure that something is moving through the stomach. If she is still eating something, then personally I would not risk it. It could well be that she will eat herbs and also that it would do no harm, but equally in your situation I can't see any real benefit and it could upset her stomach. I can imagine that you will get different views on this.

How is she now? Has there been any improvement in the size and quantity of her poops?

Back