• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small poops always stasis?

Thank you for the help. MightyMax Will look at the video’s as soon as I get home as can’t use YouTube when I’m out.

Graciee. Will try the bunnie burrito with the towel. Do I keep her right way up?

She was shaking when she came out so iv warped my coat around the carrier hoping it will calm her and keep the heat in. Will let you know how it goes when have done the first feed.

Thanks again

I think it's very important to try not to stress this little one more than you need atm. So I really would try to get her to lap the food up if she'll take it, rather than syringe-feed.

I think you said she is still eating and drinking normally earlier today. Is that still the case? If so, then I would leave her for an hour or so to recover from the vet visit. My rabbits are always stressed after the vets and will not eat for at least an hour. I think it's more important to settle her rather than try to get food into her immediately.

If she's eating normally still, then personally I would not be giving any additional foods other than the recovery food.

First feed over oh boy am I glad but not looking forwards to the next one. Wanted to scream laugh cry and clean up all at the same time.

I managed to get about 3mls into her I think of the science critical care. It’s hard to judge tho.

One bunny burrito which she didn’t like at all and in the end I held her on my chest put the feeding syringe in the front as I couldn’t see for fur then guided it round to the gap in the side. Surprisingly she didn’t mind it. It was me mainly trying to get it in the right place.

I also did 0.5ml of water. Is this enough?
Vet didn’t tell me how much fluids.

She’s really active now though so I’m taking that as a good sign. I’m sitting with her but she won’t come near me so I’m going to have to be sneaky picking her up next time.

Still feeling sad but grateful she eats some thing.

Should I keep them separate so I can monitor if she is pooping?

Thank you every one for your support and advice. It made a big difference I would have found it so hard otherwise.

I think it's very important to try not to stress this little one more than you need atm. So I really would try to get her to lap the food up if she'll take it, rather than syringe-feed.

I think you said she is still eating and drinking normally earlier today. Is that still the case? If so, then I would leave her for an hour or so to recover from the vet visit. My rabbits are always stressed after the vets and will not eat for at least an hour. I think it's more important to settle her rather than try to get food into her immediately.

If she's eating normally still, then personally I would not be giving any additional foods other than the recovery food.

In the end she wasn’t eating any thing. Usherly she would eat hay from my hands but she wouldn’t even do that

Well done :thumb:

Is she eating and drinking for herself at all?

I would not separate them. I think that she will be less stressed if they are together. I also think you should be able to tell which poop belongs to which rabbit, as Beauty's poop will not immediately return to normal.

Yes, exercise is very good :thumb:

First feed over oh boy am I glad but not looking forwards to the next one. Wanted to scream laugh cry and clean up all at the same time.

I managed to get about 3mls into her I think of the science critical care. It’s hard to judge tho.

One bunny burrito which she didn’t like at all and in the end I held her on my chest put the feeding syringe in the front as I couldn’t see for fur then guided it round to the gap in the side. Surprisingly she didn’t mind it. It was me mainly trying to get it in the right place.

I also did 0.5ml of water. Is this enough?
Vet didn’t tell me how much fluids.

She’s really active now though so I’m taking that as a good sign. I’m sitting with her but she won’t come near me so I’m going to have to be sneaky picking her up next time.

Still feeling sad but grateful she eats some thing.

Should I keep them separate so I can monitor if she is pooping?

Thank you every one for your support and advice. It made a big difference I would have found it so hard otherwise.

I would try and keep them together if possible, though I know it's not always easy to see who's been pooping.

You did well on the feeding! Is she eating or drinking anything for herself yet? If not, and if she hasn't eaten for a few hours, then perhaps try a little more food and water in the next hour or two, to keep the gut moving.

I was just thinking if she wasn’t pooping then I wouldn’t nesserceraly know but I get your point about it not returning to normal straight away.

No not any thing at all which was why I took her to the vet and there was some bloating as well.

Am going to get the oxbow critical care tomorrow if any one thinks it’s any good. Want to be prepared just in case it happens again. Then at least I have some thing.

I would try and keep them together if possible, though I know it's not always easy to see who's been pooping.

You did well on the feeding! Is she eating or drinking anything for herself yet? If not, and if she hasn't eaten for a few hours, then perhaps try a little more food and water in the next hour or two, to keep the gut moving.

I will try again in an hour. No nothing for the last couple of hours. There is so much hay in the hall way it looks like the farmer trecked through with his bales. I have some hay that smells super sweet and a little bit spicy. Just hay though medow and Timothy so may try and tempt her with it as I would even give it a try it smells so good lol.

I was just thinking if she wasn’t pooping then I wouldn’t nesserceraly know but I get your point about it not returning to normal straight away.

No not any thing at all which was why I took her to the vet and there was some bloating as well.

Am going to get the oxbow critical care tomorrow if any one thinks it’s any good. Want to be prepared just in case it happens again. Then at least I have some thing.

You can take the normal pellets that they eat and mash them with some baby food.
Or alternatively you can whizz them in a blender (if you have one) with baby food, carrot, apple or banana, whatever would be most palatable.

Did the vet give you enough of the Science Selective Recovery food for Beauty for a couple of days? Why would you want to change to the Oxbow? None of my rabbits have ever liked the taste of either of them and nutritionally I don't think there's a lot of difference.

You could always mix up their normal pellets with warm water and syringe that in future if you needed to. However, I've usually always been to the vets before syringe-feeding in the past though and have obtained the Recovery food there if I've needed it. It's always best to get a vet to exclude a blockage before syringe-feeding. When I've kept unused Recovery food in the cupboard, the use-by date has usually expired.

Sending her lots more vibes.

I will try again in an hour. No nothing for the last couple of hours. There is so much hay in the hall way it looks like the farmer trecked through with his bales. I have some hay that smells super sweet and a little bit spicy. Just hay though medow and Timothy so may try and tempt her with it as I would even give it a try it smells so good lol.

I'm glad you can still laugh :)

I hope she has a nibble on that hay. That would be the best thing :)

Did the vet give you enough of the Science Selective Recovery food for Beauty for a couple of days? Why would you want to change to the Oxbow? None of my rabbits have ever liked the taste of either of them and nutritionally I don't think there's a lot of difference.

You could always mix up their normal pellets with warm water and syringe that in future if you needed to. However, I've usually always been to the vets before syringe-feeding in the past though and have obtained the Recovery food there if I've needed it. It's always best to get a vet to exclude a blockage before syringe-feeding. When I've kept unused Recovery food in the cupboard, the use-by date has usually expired.

Sending her lots more vibes.

I'm glad you can still laugh :)

I hope she has a nibble on that hay. That would be the best thing :)

Omi. The vet only gave me one sachet of the critical care. I mentioned oxbow as I know I can buy that one from the shops had no clue about if I could get the one we have from the vets off the shelf. That’s why I was asking what people thought of it. If it comes across as a rant it’s not intended to iv not had much sleep at the moment and some things come across wrong the way I put them when typing a lot of the time.

MightyMax. I’ll keep the pellets mashed with baby food in mind if I run out. It’s a handy tip to know.
I laughed through relief she didn’t fight me much but also at the fact I think a hay can smell so good I would give it a try. If I don’t laugh I have a meltdown and then that affects Brandi so badly she won’t deal with any thing and shut down because of the autism.

Yay yay yay she munched on a little bit of that lovely hay. Not much but it’s a start :)

Omi. The vet only gave me one sachet of the critical care. I mentioned oxbow as I know I can buy that one from the shops had no clue about if I could get the one we have from the vets off the shelf. That’s why I was asking what people thought of it. If it comes across as a rant it’s not intended to iv not had much sleep at the moment and some things come across wrong the way I put them when typing a lot of the time.

MightyMax. I’ll keep the pellets mashed with baby food in mind if I run out. It’s a handy tip to know.
I laughed through relief she didn’t fight me much but also at the fact I think a hay can smell so good I would give it a try. If I don’t laugh I have a meltdown and then that affects Brandi so badly she won’t deal with any thing and shut down because of the autism.

Yay yay yay she munched on a little bit of that lovely hay. Not much but it’s a start :)

No, not at all :) It didn't come across that way :) I was just wondering why you would want to change from one to the other. Yes, I'm sure you would be able to get more from the vets. Equally, I don't think it would matter, from the perspective of keeping things simple in her tummy, if you swopped to Oxbow as they are similar in their ingredients.

Fantastic that she is munching on hay :D That really is the absolute best for her at the moment.

I’m really sorry your little bun is poorly [emoji17]

You’re doing an amazing job. You picked up very quickly that something wasn’t right and got her to the vet very quickly. Well done also on the syringe feeds. Took me a long time to master it!

Really pleased she has started to have a nibble for herself. Sending loads of vibes that it continues!

With regards to the recovery food, I personally much prefer the Oxbow brand over the Supreme one. I find it mixes better and doesn’t clog up in the syringe. That’s just my experience though. Others may have found the complete opposite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being new to rabbits is a difficult thing, and a fast learning curve. You didn't say anything the wrong way - and I know all too well the sleep deprived condition and trying to get things done/understand stuff!

Your hay sounds so good, and I hope you and Brandi are going to be having it as a side dish with your tea if you haven't already ;)

I'm always around if you need anything :)

Thank you every one. The support on this forum is amazing.
I think we have turned a corner. She almost took my hand off when I tried hand feeding her some pellets. She had this really cross expression on her face and kept looking at me almost as if to say look I’m eating now you can stop putting that nasty stuff in my mouth now.

I’m not seeing her eat much hay still though.

At what point would people stop feeding the critical care? I’m not sure if I should continue untill the poops are back to normal or untill I see her eating much more hay.

The instructions are almost non existent

I think we have turned a corner. She almost took my hand off when I tried hand feeding her some pellets. She had this really cross expression on her face and kept looking at me almost as if to say look I’m eating now you can stop putting that nasty stuff in my mouth now.

At what point would people stop feeding the critical care? I’m not sure if I should continue untill the poops are back to normal or untill I see her eating much more hay.

I think your main aim should be to get her poops looking more normal again. I think I would continue with the critical care until you are happy that they are looking better, as then you can be confident that her digestion is functioning properly again. I would also offer her more pellets and maybe scatter a few in the hay for her to forage through.

I doubt she will choose to eat much hay whilst she is having critical care and pellets. She'll fill herself up on those. But once her poops are back to normal, you can concentrate on encouraging more hay consumption.

I'm glad it sounds like she is improving.

So glad you feel things are getting better :)

I would taper off the syringe feeding when she seems back to eating normal amounts. I wouldn't worry about the hay for a wee while, and just make sure she's eating lots of what you usually give her. You could mingle the hay in with the food, and also try and hand feed a bit for her to nibble on.

Her poops may take a while to get back to normal, but when she's eating 'normally' then discontinue syringe feeding and let her top up on hay.

I’m really pleased she seems to have turned a corner [emoji3] A renewed enthusiasm for food is always a good sign.

It’s always a bit tricky with the syringe feeding at this stage. Usually when my buns have a stasis episode and get to the stage where they’re starting to eat for themselves I’ll carry on with the syringe feeds until input and output is normal but I’ll taper it off. So I’d go from a feed every two to three hours to one every four, then every six etc.

One of the key aspects of the recovery food is that it’s high in fibre and you really want to get as much fibre in their tummies as possible, especially when dealing with stasis. Usually when their appetites start to return hay consumption returns to normal levels fairly quickly.

The only caveat to all of the above is that it’s also dependent on how stressed she gets with the syringe feeds. If she gets massively stressed out there is a risk that stress may cause her to slide back into full on stasis. As I said at the top of my post, it’s a tricky judgement call at times!

So in summary I would continue with the syringe feeds for now, albeit at a reduced frequency if you feel she’ll tolerate it ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back