• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small poops always stasis?

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
I’m pretty sure it’s Beauty. She has been producing small poops for the last 24 hours. She’s eating and drinking as normal and is active as always. Is it always stasis? Or could it be some thing else

I’m pretty sure it’s Beauty. She has been producing small poops for the last 24 hours. She’s eating and drinking as normal and is active as always. Is it always stasis? Or could it be some thing else

Small poops are a sign that the gut is slowing down. This is possibly just because of the change in her home situation.

If I were you I would keep all of her food exactly the same as it was at the breeder's for a little while longer and not attempt to change her over yet, so same pellets and just hay. Also make sure that she is drinking a lot. Try to keep things as settled as you can and hopefully the poops will improve very soon.

Small poops are a sign that the gut is slowing down. This is possibly just because of the change in her home situation.

If I were you I would keep all of her food exactly the same as it was at the breeder's for a little while longer and not attempt to change her over yet, so same pellets and just hay. Also make sure that she is drinking a lot. Try to keep things as settled as you can and hopefully the poops will improve very soon.

Yes I agree with Omi. Also make sure she isn’t nibbling and eating cardboard instead of eating hay. Is she moulting at all?

Thanks Omi. So it could be stress then?
They have just been given the hallway ( on Christmas Day) to give them more space so this could make sense stress wise. I have seen her drinking and there is water in the hutch ( 2 bottles and 2 blows) and in the hallway ( large bowl as they don’t really use the bottles much).
I will keep them on the pellets breeder gave but it won’t last much longer. Was going to start the pellet change today but it can wait.

How long should a pellet change take if giving 25g a day? I think I have enough of what the breeder gave for another 10 days. I can order more but it only comes in 20kg bags and isn’t the best of quality. Was going to change over in 3g increments is that to fast?

Just want to get it right and work out if I need another bag.

Yes I agree with Omi. Also make sure she isn’t nibbling and eating cardboard instead of eating hay. Is she moulting at all?

Thanks zoobec. They tend to rip the cardboard rather then chew it. I have seen small amounts of fur but not much at all.

stress can def cause small poops :)

Luna (being blind) always gets very very upset when I clean her pen out. it has to be done and I keep things the same, but I need to disinfect so it doesn't smell of her anymore. she gets rather stressed about it, so every time her poops go a bit smaller. it usually clears in a day or two however.

it might be worth getting a pet remedy plug in.. pets at home sell them. its a natural herbal remedy that a lot of people report helping dogs, cats but also rabbits. I can say that its helped my two a lot with stress. we've had building work going on next door, so lots of drilling and noise. since having it they've both been a bit more chilled and not "death is coming for me" in a sense :lol:

I would aim to achieve the changeover of pellets over about a week, but you'd need to be flexible with this depending on how they are.

A lot of the advice is going to be depending on how they are I'm afraid. If you can get the poops back to looking like they should for a couple of days then I would start to introduce a very small amount of the new food. 3g would seem reasonable each day and as the time goes on without any problems you will feel more confident.

I have always given my rabbits water in a bowl.

Don't be despondent about this by the way :) You have been very quick to notice the small poops and I'm sure that it will quickly be resolved. I wouldn't really say that it's stress as such, just a massive change in their lives. And of course they are very young :)

Thanks binkycodie I will definantly look into the pet remidy plug in in a few minutes. Any thing that helps would be good.
I don’t think they have a problem with cleaning out the hutch. We do it twice a day as trying to litter train and they don’t seem to phased by it. They come and snif and lick me most of the time. Ocashnally I get a nose bump but not many.
I hope they can put up with the building work till it finishes. We have loud nabours but it’s only in the communal hallway when they are leaving and coming in but this some times make them jump.

Thanks Omi. I will get another bag as soon as I can so I’m prepared. Not sure I’ll be able to carry it n no clue where I can store it lol I might just keep a couple of kilos and throw the rest though as I know it won’t get used.

I’m glad I wasn’t thinking of taking it to quick. I’m a very nervous person at the best of times and things like this make me more so. I have to ring another vet in a bit to check it out any way so I may well get an apointment just to be on the safe side.

I was achilly thinking of taking the water bottles away as they have not drunk from them for a good while.

I’m glad I managed to spot it and keep an eye on it. Wasn’t sure if I was quick or not sor your comment puts me a bit more at ease. I spend a lot of time in the hallway with them and clean them twice a day so a tribute it to this.

Beauty was given to me to young if I go by the earliest date from the breeder advertised on a different web site I’m seeing them advertised on again :( it’s only a few days but it’s got to have some affect.

I have to say I think it's a terrible shame if you have to buy a 20kg bag :shock: If I were you I would contact the manufacturer and ask if they could let you have a much smaller amount.

Obviously not wording it in such as way as to suggest you are changing over from their food to a better quality one :lol:

Off to the vets as iv just noticed bloating starting :(
Maybe I should word it some thing along the lines of wanting to try it to see if my buns get on with it as I’m wanting to change. They don’t have to know I’m changing it to some thing else other then theirs lol

Maybe I should word it some thing along the lines of wanting to try it to see if my buns get on with it as I’m wanting to change. They don’t have to know I’m changing it to some thing else other then theirs lol

Oh gosh, I hope that you get on OK at the vets :(

Hopefully the vet will be able to establish what the problem is. Let us know how it goes.

Lisa, sending you all my hugs and I hope the vet can resolve this quickly for you.

Don't worry about anything you may or may not have done. I know how much you love these two.

Hugs xxx

Thanks every one. Vet was very good. Tried getting hold of the exotics vet but because of the holidays they not been able to. He thinks it’s stasis. She’s been given a gut stimulant, subutanious fluids and being sent home with recovery food and syringes which I need to give every 2hrs. :(
Just so sad at the moment she’s so young.

Any tips on syringe feeding a small young bun would be much appreciated

Thanks every one. Vet was very good. Tried getting hold of the exotics vet but because of the holidays they not been able to. He thinks it’s stasis. She’s been given a gut stimulant, subutanious fluids and being sent home with recovery food and syringes which I need to give every 2hrs. :(

Something here might help you Lisa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfROVhKTMxI

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/pdfs/SyringeFeeding2014.pdf

Ah I'm sorry :(

Get a clean hand towel and wrap her in it, and make a bunny burrito, she won't be able to wriggle away.

Put the syringe in to the side of her mouth avoiding the front four teeth, it's the sneaky route in.

Do small amounts at a time and let her swallow.

Hope it goes okay xx

Sent via carrier pigeon

Thank you for the help. MightyMax Will look at the video’s as soon as I get home as can’t use YouTube when I’m out.

Graciee. Will try the bunnie burrito with the towel. Do I keep her right way up?

She was shaking when she came out so iv warped my coat around the carrier hoping it will calm her and keep the heat in. Will let you know how it goes when have done the first feed.

Thanks again

I'm glad the vet was good. It certainly sounds as though he's given you good advice.

I can imagine that she will try to wriggle when you give her the recovery food. I would attempt the towel method to start with, that Grace has described and see how you get on. Don't be surprised if you get a lot of the food over yourself :lol: Some rabbits are easier to syringe feed than others.

Actually, as she hasn't stopped eating, you might find that if you split them up she might lap it up out of a dish. It might be worth trying that first ;)

Don't worry, you've caught it early and have got speedy attention from the vet. Sending her lots of vibes. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for the help. MightyMax Will look at the video’s as soon as I get home as can’t use YouTube when I’m out.

Graciee. Will try the bunnie burrito with the towel. Do I keep her right way up?

She was shaking when she came out so iv warped my coat around the carrier hoping it will calm her and keep the heat in. Will let you know how it goes when have done the first feed.

Thanks again
Oh yes keep all four paws on the ground, just wrapping her up will mean she can't wriggle away. I tend to kneel behind the bun and make sure my ankles are crossed or together, because some buns will try to reverse into you and escape that way [emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

Thanks again

Also, you may want to try mixing the recovery food (if that's what the vet gave you?) with some organic baby food such as Ella's kitchen. I usually have a small stock in, carrots - apples - parsnip is popular here, or apples and blueberries.

Lots of rabbits don't particularly like the taste of recovery food.

You could also try tempting her to eat with some fresh herbs - crushing them and wafting them under her nose to release the aroma. Fresh picked grass (if you can find any) might work too.

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

Good luck xx

Back