• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Playhouse

perhaps I am to cynical but..

the RWAF (whether you take their advice with a grain of salt) recommends that rabbits have access to a 10ft x 6ft area all the time.

even with a run it would be super hard to meet the minimum guidelines from the RWAF. the sizes of them are 3'3ft x 3'0, which in reality is super small. once you added in the bare necessities of litter trays, hay rack and a water bowl the space for moving around would become rather small. I actually bonded in a similar size pen for Luna & Orion, and it was great for bonding for a few days, but not for long term. there just wasn't enough space to move around, and that was without any toys.

so I think these play houses would really be far too small to really house a rabbit in, even with a run attached as it leaves very little room for toys etc and to move about.

I also don't know much about playhouses - but I would guess that the more you spend the better quality wood it would be? similar in hutches.. sure you can get a £90 hutch from PAH but the wood is flimsy, the chicken wire is poor and the locks aren't great either. so all in all, it would be better to spend more. but I don't have much experience in play houses so maybe I'm incorrect :)

Playhouses are normally 4ft x 4ft (120cmx120cm) which imo is too small, I’d prefer 6ftx4ft shed or 6ft x 2ft hutch for longer hopping distance, but a playhouse is probably ok if you have an extra large run attached . Normally the recommendations for run size is 8ftx6ft, but the bigger the better.

The ones you have linked are smaller still so wouldn’t be suitable I’m afraid.

Have a look in your local free-ads. Some people have got very good S/H reasonable size playhouses or sheds.

I have a "4x4" playhouse (which was very cheap off Gumtree), and the internal dimensions are only about 3.5x3.5' after insulating, giving a total floor space of 12', meaning you'd need something in the region of 6x8 to meet the requirements. We have lots of smaller areas to do this rather than one big one, but that requires a lot of manhandling of pipes (which aren't cheap if you need to buy them) and accoutrements around the garden. We've also added levels in the playhouse which was my main reason for getting one!

Back