• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Heroes, My World.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
13 years ago today, my soul mate died, and it nearly killed me. I made decisions back then, that I wouldn’t make now, but, when he died, I had the absolute pleasure, and savior, of having his son and daughter, and then his grandchildren, with me, until 5th November this year, when the very last grandchild died. This will be the first anniversary of his death, that I have no parts of him with me. I know I have made bad choices, and I wouldn’t ever, these days, advocate someone do what I’ve done, but the last time I made those poor choices was way back in 2007. I’ve learnt a lot since then, and my bunnies lives have improved over and over and over (and it feels sad that I have to explain this here, on a thread that is filled with grief, loss and pain).

I need to honour all these guys.

Flash (12th March 2005, to 27th December 2005) came into my life when my life had fallen apart. He was a sweet, quirky, comedic little fellow, who was alongside me through some of the most torrid times of my life. He showed me unconditional acceptance- something I’ve been we had before.

BV2XbHk.jpg

He fathered Sky and Moon, and, when he died, they became everything to me.

BuziYcF.jpg

Moon (6th October 2005 to 15th March 2007) was an independent, feisty, incredibly intelligent companion, who would sleep on my best, groom me, and yet was very independent. With hindsight, her life was not what it could and should have been, and I feel so, so guilty about that, although I know I can’t now change it. I just hope that she knows how loved she was, even though we got it so very wrong.

DltUnrx.jpg

Sky (6th October 2005 to 28th August 2013) became my absolute world, and my everything- the very best friend I ever had. We were inseparable, and he would get ill if I wasn’t around. He was the one who forced me to confront my demons, and to start fighting. I promised him I would fight for as long as he lived. He was quirky, and moody, but loving and loyal. He was mine, and I was his.

1HTodKE.jpg

He fathered several children, the oldest of whom was Cloud.

kXoJCv1.jpg

Cloud (17th July 2006 to 10th April 2010) was the only surviving bunny from his litter. He was aggressive and feisty, but confident and outgoing- but he was a bit of a nightmare. But he was mine, and I loved him, no matter what.

vITWwMA.jpg

Moon, Sky and Cloud all came to visit me on the psych ward, when I was in many pieces nine months after Flash died. The staff there recognised the clear importance of my bunny friends.

After losing Moon, I then made my final bad choice and Sky fathered seven incredible little bunnies- all of whom lived long, long lives. All seven of them, lived to seven years old, but then we started to lose them.

tXQuZIO.jpg

Hope (3rd June 2007 to 14th November 2014) was the oddball. He was the one who would be sleeping, whilst everyone else was eating. Or drinking whilst everyone else was sleeping. He was a tad simple, but such a gentle soul. Nothing remotely feisty in him. He was the smallest of the litter, which is how he ended up with his name.

zGTi98t.jpg

Sunny (3rd June 2007 to 22nd June 2015) was the only girl of the litter. She was very like her mum, Sandy, but she had all the intelligence of Moon because she was smart. And she was so smart, that she would put other bunnies into the firing line to investigate whatever ideas she had. She was independent though, and not a fan of strokes, but did like company, and did like to lick.

eOCUTpk.jpg

Dusk (3rd June 2007 to 4th July 2015) was a nice little bunny, and the only one who never spent time living in my room- something I wish wasn’t the case. He was so nice natured, but also quirky, but managed to earn the trust of the most volatile rabbit we ever owned- Candyfloss. I have so much respect for him for how he befriended her and how they lived together.

eAQHmk8.jpg

Star (3rd June 2007 to 13th October 2015) was my single feisty bunny, who had no chance of being bonded. He was very much like Sky in nature, but more highly strung. He was so beautiful, but needed careful handling. I never had a problem, but he scared everyone else. For me, he just loved strokes, he was perky and bright, and always greeted me in the door way.

HRf9vdG.jpg

Lightning (3rd June 2007 to 22nd April 2018) was the most photogenic of the group (but not really in this photo), and a really nice soul, he was more like a puppy and spent many years very happily bonded. He was a character and enjoyed his nose rubs, but he also had a really comedic side, and gave us all many laughs.

srrIhHc.jpg

Angel (3rd June 2007 to 18th September 2018) lived in our living room for most of his life, and our life revolved around him. He was keen for food, and loved to be adored. He was cheeky and loved to escape, and was boss of everyone but me.

xc35qeb.jpg

Dawn (3rd June 2007 to 5th November 2018), the last remaining bunny, who had a very sweet nature, but was the quietest of all of them. He was playful and curious, but much more a rabbit, preferring other rabbits, to some of his brothers.

3To0c5h.jpg

These guys and girls are all the result of choices that I would not make now, but I cannot regret them, because my beautiful, wonderful bunnies have been my constant companions through the toughest years of my lives. I learned to live because of them, especially Sky. I felt the greatest love at them all being around. I also felt the greatest pain as they have, one by one, left.

I am now without any of them, without any part of Flash, without any part of Sky. My heart feels empty and broken, but I feel so blessed to have had these guys in my life, and to have had them all for so long.

It’s a very sad time for me to realise that my constant companions have now all left. These have been my friends, and in the absence of human friends, they have been all I’ve had. I would not change that for the world. It feels important, now that they have all left, to really acknowledge the full picture, and everything they gave.

I got involved in rabbit rescue because of these guys. I ended up with a sanctuary for sick and disabled bunnies, because of these guys. I live, because of these guys- especially Sky- I survived things I shouldn’t have survived, because of him. Everything I do and am, is because of these guys.

But today, I just need to remember them all, as a collective, for all they have given me, and all they have given the other bunnies who benefitted from my presence in the rescue community.

Life has a huge hole and will always have that hole, but life was so rich when these friends were in this world with me. I don’t think I’ll ever know friendship like this again. And life will never be the same again.

Thank you guys. For being there when no one else was. For being my friends. I love you, and miss you. Always.

Such a special tribute for your special friends :love: I am sure all of us on here have made choices for our pets that we wouldn’t make now, or again, but you shouldn’t blame yourself for those, you do the best you can with the knowledge that you had at that time. I am glad that they were all there in your life for you, and with you. They leave a lasting legacy behind, and I believe a part of them will always be there with you.

Thinking of you as you remember them, and sending hugs xx

I am sure all of us on here have made choices for our pets that we wouldn’t make now, or again, but you shouldn’t blame yourself for those, you do the best you can with the knowledge that you had at that time. I am glad that they were all there in your life for you, and with you. They leave a lasting legacy behind, and I believe a part of them will always be there with you.

I cannot find words better than those expressed by Zoobec.

((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))) xx

All your tributes to your rabbits have been genuine and expressed from the heart :love:

This one is in some ways so much more than that and I am left wanting to re-read it several times. I hope that it has been a positive experience for you to write it, as I feel very strongly that you had no need to justify your actions to anyone, if that was at least in part the intention. There are so many things I would like to say, but won't as they might be mis-understood, but I can well imagine that I would have made the same decisions as you back then.

Just remember that all of your rabbits have experienced lives full of love :love:

Thank you guys :love:

No, this isn't to justify what I did- this thread is to remember them all. I did the best I could, with what I had, at that time. However, I know how RU used to be (and how I fear it could still be), and I just didn't want this thread to become about tearing me apart, so I felt I needed to pre-empt that.

This is a beautiful tribute to a very special bunny family. All those bunnies thrived in thr love that you gave. Your life was enriched by their presence, as their lives were equally enriched by you and the love and care you gave freely for them. Sadly they take a part of us with them when they leave and we have to deal with the hole in our lives. We all share that pain with you.
Thinking of you as you remember a special family of rabbits. xx

You have such a special way with your tributes that I always well up reading them. They may all have left now but there is a huge part of them in your heart which will never leave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bless you and your bridge bunnies.My own pair went to the bridge nine and seven years ago,still miss them .I won't have any more buns until I can once again afford good private insurance for them .Probably three years time .Due to Tory ******** cuts .

Back