• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help

nap91

Mama Doe
So Phillip and Snowy have been being bonded for the past month in our lounge. The small, neutral space stressed them both out so we decided to try a bigger but still enclosed area.

For the first few weeks Phillip continually mounted Snowy, usually on her face, and she literally didn't get a minute's peace. She tolerated it sometimes and ran away other times, but other than that they seemed pretty happy. The mounting from Phillip had started to ease off slightly, but today, Snowy has started mounting him! Now I know that this is her asserting her dominance finally, which is probably a good thing, but the problem is as soon as she mounts him, he tries to do it back and they then end up circling each other very fast.

What do I do from this point?!

Are they together all the time? Fern only tried to mount Frosty once, after he’d been mounting her fairly frequently! That escalated to circling and fur pulling and very nearly a fight, at which point I slid a dustpan in between them to part them! Have you seen mischief and tinkers mums bonding videos? They are of trio bonding but I think they are a good indication of when to intervene. They’re in the bonding sticky http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462494-Old-Useful-Topics-Bonding :thumb:

Are they together all the time? Fern only tried to mount Frosty once, after he’d been mounting her fairly frequently! That escalated to circling and fur pulling and very nearly a fight, at which point I slid a dustpan in between them to part them! Have you seen mischief and tinkers mums bonding videos? They are of trio bonding but I think they are a good indication of when to intervene. They’re in the bonding sticky http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462494-Old-Useful-Topics-Bonding :thumb:

They're not together full time, they're in enclosures right next to each other then at the moment while I'm off work they're out most of the day together. Thanks you that's helpful, I shall take a look at that :)

They're not together full time, they're in enclosures right next to each other then at the moment while I'm off work they're out most of the day together. Thanks you that's helpful, I shall take a look at that :)

I know it’s tricky juggling bonding with life, but I personally think it’s better if you can set aside a few days for them to be together 24 hours a day and it cements the bond quicker, otherwise it can be a bit stop/start for them. This time bonding I slept by the bonding pen for the first night, and after that kept checking the bunnycam frequently once I thought I could trust them.

I'm off work for another week so will try my best to set aside some days as I know that will hopefully help :)

I'm off work for another week so will try my best to set aside some days as I know that will hopefully help :)
I think if you can set aside 3 or 4 days to watch them together it should help to progress things for you. I used a pet remedy plug in from amazon, no idea if it helped or not but I slept well :lol:

If Phillip is/was off colour that might affect how they are together too.
Sending lots of bonding vibes xx

So Phillip and Snowy have been being bonded for the past month in our lounge. The small, neutral space stressed them both out so we decided to try a bigger but still enclosed area.

For the first few weeks Phillip continually mounted Snowy, usually on her face, and she literally didn't get a minute's peace. She tolerated it sometimes and ran away other times, but other than that they seemed pretty happy. The mounting from Phillip had started to ease off slightly, but today, Snowy has started mounting him! Now I know that this is her asserting her dominance finally, which is probably a good thing, but the problem is as soon as she mounts him, he tries to do it back and they then end up circling each other very fast.

What do I do from this point?!

Sorry I don't have time to write an in-depth reply, but I wonder whether you've seen these links, and if there's anything helpful there? Perhaps some light reading during the buns' quiet times? :)

http://rabbit.org/the-most-important-word-in-bonding-is-patience/

http://actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/ (good for pair bonding)

http://www.fatfluffs.com/info/bonding/

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...How-I-do-rabbit-bonding&p=6934868#post6934868

Book in RWAF shop:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/bonding-rabbits-by-fiona-campbell/

Also, Mairwen Guard has put some brilliant bonding videos on YouTube which are well worth watching - do search for them as there are quite a few.

It could be because they are not permanently together the female is becoming territorial making it harder to bond them.

So after all the advice on here I am pleased to report that I would say they are now 90% bonded with minimal mounting! We are yet to have an overnight stay in their enclosure as I am waiting til both my husband and I have a night off together but it’s all very positive anyway. Most of their time together is spent grooming one another, cuddling, binkying and just getting into general mischief together :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after all the advice on here I am pleased to report that I would say they are now 90% bonded with minimal mounting! We are yet to have an overnight stay in their enclosure as I am waiting til both my husband and I have a night off together but it’s all very positive anyway. Most of their time together is spent grooming one another, cuddling, binkying and just getting into general mischief together :love:

This is great news :love:

What a great update! I feel it's time for a bunny sleepover Phillip

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Great news! I’m glad Phillip finally managed to keep his pants zipped up! [emoji38]

:lol: that did make me laugh!

Here are some photos of the snuggle bunnies this evening

dde581f8e22d575069fe15f4eb9d02da.jpg

efc30b352c39f9a82581166135e54385.jpg

1024ec8fe894c1fa379091c5180d0a24.jpg

Last edited:
[emoji38] that did make me laugh!

Here are some photos of the snuggle bunnies this evening

dde581f8e22d575069fe15f4eb9d02da.jpg

efc30b352c39f9a82581166135e54385.jpg

1024ec8fe894c1fa379091c5180d0a24.jpg

Awww this makes me feel all gooey. I'm so happy for you! Well done everybun xx

So in need of a little advice.

Phillip and Snowy are pretty much bonded. When we are at work, they spend their days together in their enclosure, which is a decent size with more than enough room for them to run and binky etc. They spend most of the daytime sleeping anyway :lol:

If we are at home, or after work, they have free reign of the house and they’re fine together then. They spend most of this time snuggling or causing mischief together.

Then at night time, they’re back in the enclosure, which is where my problem is. At night time, and only at night time, they are randomly chasing each other around (not in a playful way, as one of them always seems to end up thumping.) I don’t understand why as the rest of the time they are smitten with each other! Does anyone have any advice?

So in need of a little advice.

Phillip and Snowy are pretty much bonded. When we are at work, they spend their days together in their enclosure, which is a decent size with more than enough room for them to run and binky etc. They spend most of the daytime sleeping anyway [emoji38]

If we are at home, or after work, they have free reign of the house and they’re fine together then. They spend most of this time snuggling or causing mischief together.

Then at night time, they’re back in the enclosure, which is where my problem is. At night time, and only at night time, they are randomly chasing each other around (not in a playful way, as one of them always seems to end up thumping.) I don’t understand why as the rest of the time they are smitten with each other! Does anyone have any advice?

Are you sure they are chasing each other? The reason being Syrup alerts the warrens of flappy blinds and cars etc by thumping. This then makes them both go super skititsh and zoom off together into the train. Or if she's frightened she will zoom over to Dennis and that spooks Dennis and it makes him zoom off. I don't know about every bun else but my bunnies are most active between 8pm and 3am.

Back