• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dawn- 03-06-2007 - 05-11-2018

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Dear Dawnin,

I’m so deeply sorry it’s taken me so long to write. My time has been tight, but I felt it was important to do this tribute justice, rather than just randomly knock it out. You deserve the best- so I’ve waited until I had the time.

You were part of the most special litter of bunny babies I ever had. Seven, amazing, strong, curious, quirky babies, who gave me the gift of both Flash, Moon and Sky.

You were born WAY back in June 2007, and, good old Sandy, gave birth to four on one day, and three on the next, and you were on the second day (we think). Angel, Star, Sunny, Lightning, Hope, Dusk and Dawn- that was the order we had to recite you in, to remember all of you- you were first.
You were last on that list, and last alive.

We could tell you and Dusk apart by two things. 1- you seemed to have a slight difference in how your fur sat around your whiskers.

VqiN1Et.jpg

2- Dusk would dig into everything, whereas you would just sit or lick.

nu6gJGv.jpg

That kind of stayed the same. Dusk eventually ended up smaller than you, which may or may not be because you lived inside, and he lived outside.

As a tiny baby, you were super cute and chilled.

toFC5Lx.jpg

HAEQINi.jpg

Fke7tgV.jpg
(look at these teethies)

We never expected you all to survive, yet you did. Every single one of you. Including Hope.

MqLxxeo.jpg

Originally you moved into my room, with Hope and Star because, in my niaivety, I thought I may be able to keep you all together. That clearly didn’t happen- and I vividly remember one morning, waking up and finding a three-way orgy. You were separated pretty sharpish then.

Once neutered, I was able to rebond you with Hope, and also with Sunny. That bonding was so interesting. Hope found you quite curious, and you’d be doing your thing, popping about and all lively, and he would follow you around, looking at you like ‘what’s he doing now?’. There was never any aggression from any of you, but it had to be a slower bond.

VSXtzg2.jpg

You were funny old trio. Sunny had the brains, and she would get all these naughty ideas. She was so smart that she would go and collect you, and send you forth, to adventure into her naughty idea- in the early years this was normally into places you shouldn’t be going. Once you had, in your lovable, idiotic way, investigated for any danger, the pair of you would return, collect Hope, and you’d be off on your travels.

Phyws0X.jpg

a7m3xLU.jpg

FpYecVN.jpg

You lived sometimes in my room, and sometimes outside, and you liked things about both.

You lived as siblings- mostly getting a long, and having each others backs, and wanting everyone to be involved, but also bickering on a regular basis- especially around food!

You were together from December 2007, to November 2014, and, at that point, were my longest ever bonded group.

7iPwRAC.jpg

Then Hope died, leaving just you and Sunny. That worked out, and you were a cute pair. You didn’t have the full life you did as a three, but you were happy and did well.

Somewhere along the way, in April 2015, you got head tilt. That was tough. You weren’t really a ‘hands on’ bunny, but I wasn’t letting you go without a fight. Once again the vets wanted to do their own thing, but I went with antibiotics and it wasn’t long before you were ‘upright’ again. The tilt never came back, although you ended up with dental abscesses and were then on antibiotics from August 2015, to the day you died. You were a very, very tolerant bunny- thank you for letting me help you.

VSNTEWs.jpg

w1JTeaO.jpg

HoFeSyw.jpg

Then we lost Sunny in June 2015, and your world became a sad one.

I tried to bond you with Crystal, but that seemed too much for you, but you were alone and so sad. We tried really hard to enrich your life, and this worked, to a degree, and you had greater run of the house than anyone. But you were still alone, and still meant to be with somebunny. We just had no bunny for you to be with.

BXuVDQd.jpg

Dopey 1 lost her husbunny, your brother, Lightning, in April 2018, and, within a week, you and her were SO tight. You were very scared of her, but she was so sweet that she won you round.

You and her had a really lovely time together, two little old bunnies together- partners in crime.

She joined you in run of the vast area you had. You and her were so sneaky together, and you were so inseparable. You were just so, so cute.

It was just so lovely to watch you both happy again, after so many bereavements- she’d lost 3 former partners, and you’d lost two.

chxFlrV.jpg

NwcZOwG.jpg

AS32Kr1.jpg

I knew you were becoming ill, and were showing all the same signs as Lightning, but you’d be on medication for so long, that it’s not a surprise that your organs started to fail.

And we lost you. We quickly. I left for work on Monday 5th, knowing you were rough, but believing I could, once again, bring you round. When I dashed home at lunch time, I just knew, and told everyone to brace themselves. I booked a vets appointment for later, and took you down. You weren’t suffering, you were just quiet.

The vet hadn’t met me before, but I told her what I had diagnosed you with (liver failure), and she agreed. Sadly, all the things she would have done for you, I had already done over the past few days. She was amazed that I had known what to do, but had no more options for you, to bring you round, so I made that call. I knew when I booked the appointment, what the call would be. It was right. As always, I cradled you as she injected you, and you just slipped so quickly away. It was one of the best deaths I’d had the privilege to be a part of. One of the best, but one of the most distressing, because you were gone.

I took you home, and showed you to Dopey 1, but she knew anyway. I knew she knew because she had been avoiding you that day. She wasn’t bothered about seeing you, although she was quiet for a few days.

It’s taken me a long time to complete this, and it breaks my heart that you may think that’s because you don’t matter, or didn’t matter. You’re wrong.

You mattered so much that I didn’t want to rush it, and not do you the service you deserved.

You were a tiny, quiet bunny bunny, but the hole you have left has been so very large. There’s no little black face greeting me anymore. There’s no little piles of poops randomly in the spare room, or random shredded bits of whatever you have found.

I really miss my little Dawnin, and your sweet, innocent loveliness. The world is not the same without you- for me or for Dope.

NCJFPA5.jpg

I so hope that wherever you are, you found Sunny and Hope, and are creating trouble as you always did.

pfCHOuD.jpg

Very much love

XX

LqwmKni.jpg

1lBrKCd.jpg

1i7HCjd.jpg

Dawn
03-06-2007 – 05-11-2018

I’m so sorry that you lost Dawn :cry: your tributes to your bunnies are always beautiful and really give us an insight into the wonderful life they had with you, and I think it’s right that you waited until you were ready to be able to write this one for Dawn. He was obviously a big part of your life and I know you will miss him very much :cry:

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Binky free at the bridge Dawn xx

As Zoobec said, the tributes you post for a Rabbit whom you have lost are always so eloquent. They make me feel like I actually knew the Bunny.

Farewell for now Dawn xx

As always, a beautifully written tribute to what was clearly a very special rabbit, who was luckly enough to experience a wonderful life with you :love:

Back