• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone used an automatic feeder?

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Hi guys. I need some advice please!

Last year I had an awful situation where I was away and it snowed really heavily so the bunny sitter couldn't get to my house for 48 hours. I was also snowed in abroad and couldn't get back as flights were all cancelled.... so I was wondering about getting some automatic feeders that open at set times, as a back up for when I go away. Has anyone used them and can recommend?

No, I’ve never used one, although I do use a gravity waterer normally. I think although it’s not ideal, and you wouldn’t plan to do that, in that situation you were in they would have been ok so long as they had more than enough water, hay and branches etc to eat, they could go without pellets without issue. The issue that would worry me more would be any unforeseen stasis issues.

I haven't and I'm not sure if it would be worth it? I could see some very devious bunnies knocking them over or trying to get into them..perhaps even damaged. to me (at least) the main issue if something like that happened wouldn't be getting their pellet, but making sure they had enough hay. that's the most important thing for them with fibre and making sure they're constantly eating. I'm not really sure if you could stuff one full of hay?? going pellet for a few days isn't the issue, it would be water and hay mostly. plus any health issues such as stasis.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. Yes, you're all right, it isn't the pellets that would be the problem. It's actually that three of them are on twice daily medication that would be the biggest issue and I can't see a way round that at all. The only thing I can think of would be to use a housesitter, I might do another post asking about that!

Back