• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forige for young rabbits

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
I wanted to treat them to some forige Christmas Day for the first time. Harliquin and Beauty are 8 and 9 weeks.

Is there any thing I can get that is easy on baby buns tums?

The only things I'm confident in foraging is long grass and dandelions!

You could give them a very small amount of each :D

That sounds good. I know what each of those are to :)
Making a trip to pets at home for a few last play bits for hall that will be their Christmas presant tomrow. Is there any thing I can get from their at all or would people stay away from the forige there?

That sounds good. I know what each of those are to :)
Making a trip to pets at home for a few last play bits for hall that will be their Christmas presant tomrow. Is there any thing I can get from their at all or would people stay away from the forige there?

They sell dried forage which you could get a bag of, they have a whole like natural forage section, it's not amazing, but there's decent stuff there :D I often buy the odd bag of stuff, if you're buying treats check the ingredients though for some reason (I think it's rosewood? Other companies too though) say things are suitable for buns then put egg in them... [emoji38]

But the forage should just be forage, aslong as what's in it is safe, it's fine :)

Woodlands is a brand they sell in there too that sells forage :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

Thanks graciee.
I have a very deep frown about the rabbits and eggs thing. Why?

Will make sure to look at the ingredients. Wanted to put it in a big box with lots of torn and scrunched paper and cardboard so they can dig for it

Thanks graciee.
I have a very deep frown about the rabbits and eggs thing. Why?

Will make sure to look at the ingredients. Wanted to put it in a big box with lots of torn and scrunched paper and cardboard so they can dig for it
Yea Idk! It's often things that are "suitable" for Idk hammies, gerbils, and rabbits then you look and there's egg.. [emoji38] For hammies that's fine but not buns, really don't know why they do it. I've seen honey too in some. I really like these for bun treats, they sell them in pets at home :)
fdf6ad59fd37820079e76569c4fe54ac.jpg

Sent via carrier pigeon

That’s just weird and if rabbits shouldn’t have it then it shouldn’t be sold as for rabbits.

I got so overwhelmed by all the **** in there and wanted natural things or one/two ingredient treats.

Got hay cookies, rose pettles with Timothy hay and some fenugreek cookies. Much more then I went in for lol but will last for ever.

Will go else where next time it’s just I left it till last minute as have been so busy lately.

Bramble leaves should be fine.
Whatever you feed the, only give small quantities at first of anything new. With such young rabbits, I would not be changing their diet at all for a week or two.

That’s just weird and if rabbits shouldn’t have it then it shouldn’t be sold as for rabbits.

I got so overwhelmed by all the **** in there and wanted natural things or one/two ingredient treats.

Got hay cookies, rose pettles with Timothy hay and some fenugreek cookies. Much more then I went in for lol but will last for ever.

Will go else where next time it’s just I left it till last minute as have been so busy lately.

That sounds like a lovely combination:love: I buy forage from natures own https://www.naturesownpets.co.uk/shop/page/2/?customer=animal it’s free delivery over £19.95 Frosty and Fern like the sweet green herb mixes, the dried 5 a day mix, the dried flowers mix and the dried marigolds. And the sweet green hay cookies too :thumb: I sprinkle it in with their hay :thumb:

Last edited:
Bramble leaves should be fine.
Whatever you feed the, only give small quantities at first of anything new. With such young rabbits, I would not be changing their diet at all for a week or two.

They will only be getting a few of the rose pettles Christmas Day and that’s the only thing i would have given different. I’m going to wait a few days after and change there pellets to better quality ones. But I just feel such a meanie not giving them any thing for there first Xmas.
The rest is for much later.

That sounds like a lovely combination:love: I buy forage from natures own https://www.naturesownpets.co.uk/shop/page/2/?customer=animal it’s free delivery over £19.95 Frosty and Fern like the sweet green herb mixes, the dried 5 a day mix, the dried flowers mix and the dried marigolds. And the sweet green hay cookies too :thumb: I sprinkle it in with their hay :thumb:

This sounds brilliant will definantly be taking a look

They will only be getting a few of the rose pettles Christmas Day and that’s the only thing i would have given different. I’m going to wait a few days after and change there pellets to better quality ones. But I just feel such a meanie not giving them any thing for there first Xmas.
The rest is for much later.

This sounds brilliant will definantly be taking a look

You’ve given them the best gift any rabbit could wish for, a lovely home for Christmas:love: yes, best to go slow with diet changes rather than risk upsetting their tummies, especially with babies.

They are very good, and most deliveries are next day too!

You’ve given them the best gift any rabbit could wish for, a lovely home for Christmas:love: yes, best to go slow with diet changes rather than risk upsetting their tummies, especially with babies.

They are very good, and most deliveries are next day too!

It’s just me I’m a giver and unless every one in the house gets some thing I’m not happy.
I know Zoobec iv had so much fun getting every thing and finding out new things and watching them ect I feel it’s more been for me and my daughter. Finishing off the hutch modifications later so they can have freedom in the hallway and then we can just sit with them so they can get to know us a bit better which will be nice and is the other part to Harliquin and Beauty’s presant.
I plan all new foods to be tiny amounts and gradually.
Although what I brought probably sounds a lot I don’t always have the money so I get treats and things when I can but the things like insurance food ect are all in the monthly budget :)

Something here might help?

http://www.kanin.org/?q=node/193

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/Plants toxic to rabbits.pdf

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/Toxic & Safe Plants v2.pdf

And a very good book written by Twigs Way called 'Foraging for Rabbits' which can be purchased from the RWAF bookshop

A good all round Rabbit Diet from Medirabbit:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

Thanks MightyMax. These will be useful in spring and summer when we visit the woods a lot. The pictures will enable us to gather fresh forige as I had no idea where to start.
Can I dry the things I collect and give them in the winter to or is that not a good idea.

The digging box is a great idea and a few pellets and rose petals will go a long way to adding to their fun. Merry first bunny Christmas [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks jemima. I just want to see them happy. Never thought of putting the pellets in there. Good idea :)

Merry Christmas to you and your buns to.

Last edited:
It’s just me I’m a giver and unless every one in the house gets some thing I’m not happy.
I know Zoobec iv had so much fun getting every thing and finding out new things and watching them ect I feel it’s more been for me and my daughter. Finishing off the hutch modifications later so they can have freedom in the hallway and then we can just sit with them so they can get to know us a bit better which will be nice and is the other part to Harliquin and Beauty’s presant.
I plan all new foods to be tiny amounts and gradually.
Although what I brought probably sounds a lot I don’t always have the money so I get treats and things when I can but the things like insurance food ect are all in the monthly budget :)

Thanks MightyMax. These will be useful in spring and summer when we visit the woods a lot. The pictures will enable us to gather fresh forige as I had no idea where to start.
Can I dry the things I collect and give them in the winter to or is that not a good idea.

Drying is a great idea, and lots of us here do that very thing :)

You might still find some of those things growing now (depending on where you are).

There's cow parsley (but must be distinguished from hemlock) and brambles which you should still be able to get.

I’m glad it works. Would save money as iv brought two bags of forage ( just got delivery which I thought would turn up after Christmas which has a really nice smelling mini bale of hay and some mulberry leaves).
I live in London although there are a few places brambles grow.
I will stay away from things that look similar as I don’t want any chance of picking the wrong thing. Iv been studying horses and a lot of the poisonous plants for them are the same for rabbits so I have an idea of some of it.
Will also be a great learning topic for Brandi as she will be able to identify lots of different plants and get to know what to look out for.

I would just stick to a few Bramble leaves and a few Rose petals. Also when you have a bit of spare time you could look through this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?455755-my-foraging-diary
And also use it yourself next Spring if you need help with ID or whether a plant is OK for rabbits.

I was thinking of the future Omi. So much to change in their diet and it will take quiet a while to do it properly so was just thinking ahead:)
We go to the woods for learning time some times so even just looking at them and seeing if we can figure them out will help as we’re doing other activity’s.
I have some rose pettles so will try them tomorrow.

I have seen the thread but got a bit scared at how many pages there were lol iv bookmarked it now and will look through it :)

Back