• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A friend for Dillon - sad update post 811.

Thank you, I am quite nervous. Dillion lives in the lounge and we have built a 6x8 foot pen next to him for the five days before they go to the bonders. I went into Home Bargain during my refs today and bought two storage boxes as litter trays, £3.49 compared to the small litter trays in P@H which were £6.
Two of the sides are open so they will be able to see one another the short sides are wood, slated wood so not a clear view. I am going to leave the carry box thingy in there too so she can hide if she wants to.
I have not put any toys in yet as they will all smell of Dilly. I was just going to make loo roll hay bundles and string sprouts on a string for her. She will have a water bottle as well as a bowl, Dilly just has a bowl.
Have I missed anything do you think?

oh and I am so not keen on her name (sorry does that make me miserable) but love the names Harriet or Susan for her, what do you think?

I think it's perfectly normal to be nervous and in my view it's not a bad feeling to have :) Tui wasn't given any choice with the water and was given a bowl like my other rabbits, but maybe if she has been used to a bottle. I can't think of anything that you have missed. Leaving the carry box in there is a good idea - we gave Tui a little cardboard box, which she used. As well as being interesting to observe her, it will also be interesting to see Dillon's reaction.

Why would disliking the name make you miserable :lol: Personally I like both the names Harriet and Susan. Harriet because I just like the name and Susan because that name has good connotations for me atm. I think either would suit her very well.

I sort of think I shouldnt change her name either but.................. we will just have to see how it all goes.
Maybe you could shorten it or change it slighty for Example Boodie.

I also like your new names too though. Wait till you get to know her I think

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

you'll get to be OK of Boudica maybe ???? :D

i can't explain it, but the 'feeling' of a name changes when you meet someone with that name (?)

edit: sorry, i should stay out of it! it's entirely a personal decision.

I'm really excited for you and will be keeping everything crossed here for a sucessful bond. Lillian sends her love :love: and says if things don't work out she'll come and keep Dillan company. As for the name change - this is a personal choice for you - she will be your rabbit and you her keeper so really it is only up to you. For what my own opinion is - which doesn't make any difference, I'm a fan of keeping names because, well, that's what the rabbit is familiar with. They may or may not respond to it. I've not changed any names of rabbits I've had but have named one rabbit from a rescue (Ben) only because the rescue centre didn't have a name for him. So it's entirely up to you. I like Boudica though.

Exciting stuff. i've always changed my bunnies names - I don't reckon it matters. Let me know if you need a hand with bonding - not that I'm any good bonding ut y'know

I think that all sounds good :thumb: Name is a personal choice, and more often than not the name would have been given to them by the rescue, not what they arrived with. Also, they don’t usually seem to respond to their names, I find :lol: of all of the rescue rabbits I’ve had, I’ve kept the name of 3 of them, as they suited them and I liked them, but Frosty and Fern were both given other names by the rescues, but they were a bit of a mouthful (Bruce Lee and Macadamia)

Boo was called Pippa. Pippa. i've never seen a less Pippa looking rabbit in my life

:lol: it must be so hard to come up with names for everybun. I know BARC have themes to help. Macadamia did kind of suit Fern, she is definitely nuts :lol::love:

you'll get to be OK of Boudica maybe ???? :D

i can't explain it, but the 'feeling' of a name changes when you meet someone with that name (?)

edit: sorry, i should stay out of it!
it's entirely a personal decision.

No I asked for people's thoughts and thank you for your input.

Maybe you could shorten it or change it slighty for Example Boodie.

I also like your new names too though. Wait till you get to know her I think

Boudie - maybe but not Boo, as we already have a Boo on here.
Pippa - no Boo is so much nicer, thank you with the bonding help - I do need help.
Lillian - what a lovely offer but Dilly would swoon in complete fan boy style.
Bruce Lee and Macadamia - and do these names not reflect bunny personalities :D I do love the name Fern and Frosty

I hope everything goes well and new bunny settles in well. I am sure you will give her lots of hay, but you didn't mention it. I try to keep the rabbit's original name, like Hatter and Oreo etc, but Wiggles got a new name as did Mrs Tickle :D Go with your gut feeling and yes it's a good idea to get to know her a bit before you decide. At least you are bringing a female home to a male, not the other way around! So she can't feel territorial for now.

Maple was named Lost Bunny then renamed Caramac by the rescue. She used to ask for lovings and have cuddles where she would melt like syrup. Now she doesn't require my services and no longer begs for cuddles since Dennis came along.

I hope everything goes well and new bunny settles in well. I am sure you will give her lots of hay, but you didn't mention it. I try to keep the rabbit's original name, like Hatter and Oreo etc, but Wiggles got a new name as did Mrs Tickle :D Go with your gut feeling and yes it's a good idea to get to know her a bit before you decide. At least you are bringing a female home to a male, not the other way around! So she can't feel territorial for now.

The hay is in there, :D she has been through so many changes recently, taken from the breeder to the RSPCA, spayed, given space, and eye proceedure, then today a 2 hour drive to yet another new place, 5 days here then off to the bonders for a week, then back here - I feel so sorry for her. Hopefully soon she can start to settle.
When I last saw her, she thumped her feet at me and was cross - I cant imagine that she will feel any kinder towards me for doing this to her.

Does she have a story? Where did she come from? Why was she in rescue?

Maple was named Lost Bunny then renamed Caramac by the rescue. She used to ask for lovings and have cuddles where she would melt like syrup. Now she doesn't require my services and no longer begs for cuddles since Dennis came along.

Well, who would! Hehe, I've lost my Smilies!

Does she have a story? Where did she come from? Why was she in rescue?

She is a breeder bunny, given up with a few others to the RSPCA. Sadly the vet didnt take her ring off whilst spaying her. Oh and she is Welsh, now in Lancashire.

She does not seem to impressed with Dilly and he ran away back into his house when she thumped in her house. They can see each other but are not really looking. She is mega thumpy but I think interested to see what is going on.

Oh Lost Bunny is not a happy name.

We have been home since 2.30pm and they are living side by side, with an 8 inch gap between. They have studiously ignored one another! Dillon is a bit fed up as he can not lozack on the hearth as he usually does as her run is butted up to the heath.

She has eaten, drunk and left plenty of poops but has not wee'd (that I have seen) nor is she using her tray - it is bed time now so we will see what tomorrow brings.

I dont suppose without anaesthetic there is a way to un-ring her leg, and might it cause injury or soreness please?

Back