• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A friend for Dillon - sad update post 811.

We have decided to do slowly slowly, if they get even just a little time together per day without upset we shall be happy with that. Susan still is not used to household noises so hoovering means she sits on OH's knee, Dillon is free range at the same time.
They can if they want too look over into each others part of the run, there is no top on the run. I have been giving Dillon treats on the top of the run but Susan doesnt understand treats yet.

Loobers - I think you might be right with him preferring boys! My MIL says that he is too spoilt to share!

We have decided to do slowly slowly, if they get even just a little time together per day without upset we shall be happy with that. Susan still is not used to household noises so hoovering means she sits on OH's knee, Dillon is free range at the same time.
They can if they want too look over into each others part of the run, there is no top on the run. I have been giving Dillon treats on the top of the run but Susan doesnt understand treats yet.

Loobers - I think you might be right with him preferring boys! My MIL says that he is too spoilt to share!

I think sometimes slowly is the best way to lasting success.
Hope it all continues to go well :)

Sending lots of best wishes for Dillon and Susan. It all sounds very positive so far and in my view bonding rules need to be adapted to the rabbits concerned, which you are doing.

Sending lots of best wishes for Dillon and Susan. It all sounds very positive so far and in my view bonding rules need to be adapted to the rabbits concerned, which you are doing.

Thank you all for your kind encouragement, I so want this to work.

Very, very wise words. I do hope that things work out OK for Dillon + Susan x

Playdate tonight was in the lounge I blocked off the entrance to each house and lifted Susan onto the sofa. Dilly was eating coriander from OH's hand. Susan jumped down from the sofa and I panicked bunging my hands between them. We were both wearing mcycle gloves) but Dilly just wanted away.
Susan pranced around the room, leaving nuggets everywhere (honestly there must have been 30) and Dilly sat as close as he could to me. Everytime she came near I rubbed his nose. She sniffed his head and he stayed still. His ears were in fierce mode but he didnt get up.
Susan then led out full length and Dilly legged it for his house, unfortunately I had blocked it off as I was worried they might fight before I could get to them. Dillon has a bumped nose.
I opened both houses up and Susan went and led on her blanket along the length of Dillons wall and Dillon went in his and sat in his tray as far away as possible from her.

She is so gentle and just wants to love him and he is so not having any of it. I am trying to do positive interactions just for 15 minutes per day at the moment.
No photos as its really hard to use my phone with mcycle gloves on :shock:

Playdate tonight was in the lounge I blocked off the entrance to each house and lifted Susan onto the sofa. Dilly was eating coriander from OH's hand. Susan jumped down from the sofa and I panicked bunging my hands between them. We were both wearing mcycle gloves) but Dilly just wanted away.
Susan pranced around the room, leaving nuggets everywhere (honestly there must have been 30) and Dilly sat as close as he could to me. Everytime she came near I rubbed his nose. She sniffed his head and he stayed still. His ears were in fierce mode but he didnt get up.
Susan then led out full length and Dilly legged it for his house, unfortunately I had blocked it off as I was worried they might fight before I could get to them. Dillon has a bumped nose.
I opened both houses up and Susan went and led on her blanket along the length of Dillons wall and Dillon went in his and sat in his tray as far away as possible from her.

She is so gentle and just wants to love him and he is so not having any of it. I am trying to do positive interactions just for 15 minutes per day at the moment.

Aww Dilly :( I would continue as you are doing. Shame you can't sit down and have a heart to heart with him!

Awww grief, they are almost human :love:

What's Dilly afraid of?

You are doing really well. It's a patient business sometimes this bunny bonding lark!

I fully understand how stressful this process is. You are so careful and unselfish by not allowing things to get out of hand and I completely admire you for your patience and care. You are very in tune with both Dilly and Susan and I do believe that in time things will improve. Dillon is having to do a lot of emotional adjustment to his life and yes, so is Susan but Susan's life is opening up and she sounds like such a sweet and gentle rabbit. Dillon just needs the time to understand the changes and how best he adapt to them. Continuing to send positive vibes for you all. Xx

Difficult rabbits :roll:

I'd give them some food - a pile of herbs or forage well away from their houses.

Good idea :thumb: some nice tasty forage or herbs is a good way to encourage them together:thumb:

Could I make what might sound like a daft suggestion? Why not get a snuggle toy? Something like a toy rabbit or similar. Put it in with Dillon or Susan for a few days - get tehir scent on it, then put it in with the other rabbit. They can beat it up as much as they want but it will constantly have each others scent on it and perhaps it might be a mechanism to help move forward. Lillian and Henry had these and they have been integral in their relationship. When Henry goes to the vets, we take the rabbit Lillian had for companionship with him. It helps with his anxiety and at least he has a bit of home with him.
Just a thought.

Playdate was for four hours today - and no one bothered to play out. So I sat and read my book!

IMG_20190129_151519[1] by mark andra, on Flickr

I need something to encourage gentle interaction.

Not that this is my area much at all, but to me if there’s just chill time that’s a good starting point at least than a bunny war.

Maybe something like a long wide pile of hay out the front in the middle with pellets and herbs would encourage them to do an activity together but also distract them from each other a bit?
Looks encouraging to me though.

I hope you are doing ok, it’s so daunting starting from the beginning of bonding again, so remember to remember you are amazing and doing a great job <3 xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could I make what might sound like a daft suggestion? Why not get a snuggle toy? Something like a toy rabbit or similar. Put it in with Dillon or Susan for a few days - get tehir scent on it, then put it in with the other rabbit. They can beat it up as much as they want but it will constantly have each others scent on it and perhaps it might be a mechanism to help move forward. Lillian and Henry had these and they have been integral in their relationship. When Henry goes to the vets, we take the rabbit Lillian had for companionship with him. It helps with his anxiety and at least he has a bit of home with him.
Just a thought.

We have Cuthy's teddy (washed so it did not smell of Cuthy after Susan arrived) this bear moves between the two houses as do the blankets. Thank you for your suggestion I have never done a bond so need lots of help - thank you.

Cuthys teddy in with Dilly
IMG_20190121_192008 by mark andra, on Flickr

I dont seem to be having any development, they will eat next to one another, they lie together with the wire between but if Susan moves Dillon goes for her. 3

I tried putting forage etc down and that worked until she tried to hop away.
I have been sharing litter trays, soft toys and blankets
I have been constant with nose rubs and reassurance for Dilly ie if Susan is bobbing about I will rub his nose and he sinks happily into the floor. If I dont rub his nose he goes for her. Have I made a mistake of trying to make meeting Susan that positive that if the nose rub doesnt happen its somehow her fault?

I know I am being a terrible pain and very needy but any imput would be great, OH is asking if this is now fair on both and maybe Susan should go back, this makes me so sad for all of us.

Its still very early days for what is essentially a slow bond technique. Does Dilly getjealous when you pet or tend to Susan?

Back