• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A friend for Dillon - sad update post 811.

So glad you finally have some answers! Must be such a relief to eventually know what it is and he can start to get better [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilst I'm sorry that Dilly has EC, it is a relief to have a diagnosis and a cause for his symptoms. I really hope that the medication is successful and that he starts to feel a lot better very soon.

So pleased you know what you're working with. Some bunnies manage really well on & after treatment, I wish that for Dilly xx

With the meds he is on, he is managing okay, he is mobile around the house and leaping on and off the sofa's. The area of his rear that was scalded has been shaved (whilst he was under) and has been reasonably easy to keep clean. The only thing is the incontinence. I am trying him with different sizes of litter trays with different items in to see which holds the liquid away from him without attaching to his fur.
Apart from that as I say he seems okay. He is eating and drinking okay, he has always been a bad hay eater but i have some posh timothy oat hay, redigrass and bring him grass from outside. His treats are all hay based and he has fresh veg - he still mugs up each morning for his quarter of toast and cherry tomato's

Sheryl the vet was quite confident he could be turned around with meds - is there something I am missing here? J&B you said "some bunnies" ?

With the meds he is on, he is managing okay, he is mobile around the house and leaping on and off the sofa's. The area of his rear that was scalded has been shaved (whilst he was under) and has been reasonably easy to keep clean. The only thing is the incontinence. I am trying him with different sizes of litter trays with different items in to see which holds the liquid away from him without attaching to his fur.
Apart from that as I say he seems okay. He is eating and drinking okay, he has always been a bad hay eater but i have some posh timothy oat hay, redigrass and bring him grass from outside. His treats are all hay based and he has fresh veg - he still mugs up each morning for his quarter of toast and cherry tomato's

Sheryl the vet was quite confident he could be turned around with meds - is there something I am missing here? J&B you said "some bunnies" ?

I have tried Propalin for incontinent bunnies.

Sometimes the damage done to the kidneys can't be undone, unfortunately.
However, there is always hope :)

I’m glad that you have found the cause at last, I hope he responds to treatment well.

Woodpellet cat litter is very good for absorbency I find, I buy it in the big bags as it’s cheaper. You can get it from horse supply places as people use it for horse bedding. I use it for the goats, for them I activate it with a little hot water, it fluffs it up without affecting the absorption too much so long as I don’t use too much water.

I’m glad that you have found the cause at last, I hope he responds to treatment well.

Woodpellet cat litter is very good for absorbency I find, I buy it in the big bags as it’s cheaper. You can get it from horse supply places as people use it for horse bedding. I use it for the goats, for them I activate it with a little hot water, it fluffs it up without affecting the absorption too much so long as I don’t use too much water.

I use wood pellet cat litter for the cats, so I am reticent to put it in with the bunnies in case the cat decides to share, I wait till its on offer at PAH and get 45 ltrs for £15. However I will certainly look at buying in horse suppliers - thank you

I am sorry to read that Dillon has EC, but the positive is that you now have the diagnosis and there is some good treatment available.
Lillian sends loads of hugs for Dillon and hope that he soon starts to feel better. Sending vibes from me for Dillon also and hope that he improves soon. :love:

Dillon is very happy to have hugs from Lillian - thank you. Dilly behaved beautifully at the vets on Monday including bumbling about to different nurses for nose rubs.

I put him and Susan in different carriers and whilst in the waiting room (even though there is a separate rabbit area) there were a lot of dogs in the vicinity. For comfort I faced the two carriers to each other and Dillon was so grumpy! he actually thumped his feet and turned his back on Susan!!!! - tut.

Susan is in full moult and by the time she had been seen and had a health check the vet looked like she had santa's white beard! Sheryl decided that as I had been swopping litter trays and given Susan's history as a meat rabbit then it was more than likely she has EC too. She is also on meds. I have posted on another thread asking about her and syringing meds.

Thank you again Craig_1965

I was thinking of you today and wondering how you and Dilly are? X

Thank you MM, Dilly is the same. incontinent at night only, eating and playing out fine. He is on the metacam and panacur only now. His nether regions need monitoring but the skin around the area is almost normal coloured = just a few patches of redness but nothing like it was. He doesnt use his litter trays quite as much as he did and poops around his house. I just use small dog fleeces each night and bung them in the washer in the morning, This seems to keep him drier.
Not sure what else we can do really. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. Thank you

Thank you MM, Dilly is the same. incontinent at night only, eating and playing out fine. He is on the metacam and panacur only now. His nether regions need monitoring but the skin around the area is almost normal coloured = just a few patches of redness but nothing like it was. He doesnt use his litter trays quite as much as he did and poops around his house. I just use small dog fleeces each night and bung them in the washer in the morning, This seems to keep him drier.
Not sure what else we can do really. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. Thank you

I am glad to hear he is not so sore. There are creams but I am not sure he needs them now.
And vetbed, but I am sure I have mentioned that at least a hundred times already :lol:

Are you feeling a little more upbeat about the whole Dilly situation now?

I am glad to hear he is not so sore. There are creams but I am not sure he needs them now.
And vetbed, but I am sure I have mentioned that at least a hundred times already :lol:

Are you feeling a little more upbeat about the whole Dilly situation now?

Not sure that upbeat is the word I would use, guilty, sad, reticent - not sure really but thank you for asking.

Not sure that upbeat is the word I would use, guilty, sad, reticent - not sure really but thank you for asking.

Oh I'm sorry :cry:

I am really sad that you feel guilty. You have put in so much time and effort but I know what it's like when things just don't get better despite all our best efforts.

Back