• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A friend for Dillon - sad update post 811.

Thank you Craig_1965 and Zoobec. My poor boy has been through so much in his one year. Do you think that when they are both at a level of wellness they might bond with each other - I dont know whether eto research another bonder or just leave well alone and let them live side by side for ever. Susan's house was only temporary but she has been in it since December and if this is her permanent home then she deserves something better............... so difficult to predict, a crystal ball or the ability to talk to Dilly would be great!

Thank you Craig_1965 and Zoobec. My poor boy has been through so much in his one year. Do you think that when they are both at a level of wellness they might bond with each other - I dont know whether eto research another bonder or just leave well alone and let them live side by side for ever. Susan's house was only temporary but she has been in it since December and if this is her permanent home then she deserves something better............... so difficult to predict, a crystal ball or the ability to talk to Dilly would be great!

I think if they are both well then there is every chance they could bond, it’s not like they’ve fought or anything as far as I remember? Illness does affect bonds and bonding. Side by side is better imo than being single but if they will bond that would be even better.

A crystal ball would be great :lol: it sounds like you can read them pretty well :love:

Just my two cents... I wouldn't give up on the pairing so soon and I really don't think you need a bonder. That's actually something I had never heard of before reading about it on this forum and I still find the idea kinda weird - what can a 'bonder' do that you can't do yourself at home? I'm not sure putting the rabbits with a stranger in a strange home, not even speaking of the trip, helps any and I would be really wary of stasis or health issues considering how badly most rabbits react to stress...
Neutered male / spayed female pairing seldom fails, and bonding is really no rocket science. If it fails with you, it means the rabbits really have incompatible personnalities and a bonder won't be able to overcome that anymore than you could.
If I were you, I would just wait until I'm finished with the meds and just try to introduce the two rabbits normally in my bathroom with veggies and as little stress as possible. You could end up with a bonded pair. And if it doesn't work out, you won't be worse off than you are now but at least you will know you tried.
Good luck!

Sorry your still feeling down about it all, but after what I went through with Truffle (albeit a much shorter time span than you are going through), I totally understand how you feel. Despite everyone I knew including all vet staff saying I did everything I could I just couldn’t believe it because “I let it happen” which I know is ridiculous because whatever took him hit hard and fast but I couldn’t help it, I’m his mum, and I know so many vet professionals from my job, how could I not see it. But you will eventually forgive yourself even though people might not think you need to.
But focusing on Dillon will see you through.

With bonding, and I claim to be no expert, but I’d say from what I’ve seen when both are well then I’d try it again because they seemed pretty keen to be friends. You always have the option of a bonder as a last resort up your sleeve. Bonders are really useful if you aren’t confident at reading signs etc like me, so as you know I’ve used them each time just to start the bond off then I continue. But you I feel are much more experienced in bunny language so I think having a go when the times right would be good :) x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad bad day, last night at approx 03.30hrs we could hear a massive noise downstairs. I was stuck upstairs with a teething baby and so OH went down. He shouted back upstairs. He came back upstairs to take the baby and I shot downstairs - Dilly was in the middle of a huge fit. He had knocked his water bowl over so i had to pick him up and move him.
He felt really cold to touch and was unresponsive with all legs "galloping", I turned off the lights and got him on the rug and covered him over and approx 2 mins later stopped fitting. I sat him against my legs with a cover over and spoke to him gently.
We have new meds now from the vets including valium supoositories and to go back on the baytril. He seems well enough in himself and he and Susan have had a little time outside and in the sunshine. Both Oh and I have been up most of the night - with Dilly and the baby - hopefully the baytril will help. Luckily Thomas has gone home - the joy of grandchildren!

Thank you Zoobec I agree that friends side by side is better than no friend at all. Today when they were playing outside they were both trying to eat the same grass!

Maya - a bonder has more confidence than I - but actually I would be so much more worried about them being away from home.

Truffpuff - your comments mean a lot and thank you

Bad bad day, last night at approx 03.30hrs we could hear a massive noise downstairs. I was stuck upstairs with a teething baby and so OH went down. He shouted back upstairs. He came back upstairs to take the baby and I shot downstairs - Dilly was in the middle of a huge fit. He had knocked his water bowl over so i had to pick him up and move him.
He felt really cold to touch and was unresponsive with all legs "galloping", I turned off the lights and got him on the rug and covered him over and approx 2 mins later stopped fitting. I sat him against my legs with a cover over and spoke to him gently.
We have new meds now from the vets including valium supoositories and to go back on the baytril. He seems well enough in himself and he and Susan have had a little time outside and in the sunshine. Both Oh and I have been up most of the night - with Dilly and the baby - hopefully the baytril will help. Luckily Thomas has gone home - the joy of grandchildren!

Thank you Zoobec I agree that friends side by side is better than no friend at all. Today when they were playing outside they were both trying to eat the same grass!

Maya - a bonder has more confidence than I - but actually I would be so much more worried about them being away from home.

Oh gosh I'm so sorry Dilly had a fit :'( how're you holding up? Must be so difficult, sending hugs and vibes xx

Oh goodness, how frightening for you. I have a Rabbit, Lord Herbert, who has seizures so I know how distressing they are to witness. The one thing I will say is I think we, the care givers, are more upset by the fits than the Bunny. At least for Lord H once the fit is over he acts as if nothing happened and returns to 100% 'normal'.

In the last 21 years I have had a few Bunnies who could not be fully bonded, but lived happily alongside other Rabbits. In an ideal world all Rabbits would live as bonded pairs or in groups. But 1- We dont live in an ideal world and 2- there are always individual cases where it is in a specific Rabbit's best interests not to be bonded. As long as they have interaction with Rabbits around them and/or a lot of human attention then IMO they still have a good quality of life.

Sending lots of vibes for Dilly xx

Oh gosh I'm so sorry Dilly had a fit :'( how're you holding up? Must be so difficult, sending hugs and vibes xx

Thank you, he has had them before but I am okay with dealing, its afterwards I have a wobble :( However for him if these fits increase then he will need different treatment. Sheryl (vet) is happy for us to monitor and to treat as we are but I just feel so sad for him. The fits leave him fed up and tired but we have been lucky that so far they do not affect him long term.

Oh goodness, how frightening for you. I have a Rabbit, Lord Herbert, who has seizures so I know how distressing they are to witness. The one thing I will say is I think we, the care givers, are more upset by the fits than the Bunny. At least for Lord H once the fit is over he acts as if nothing happened and returns to 100% 'normal'.

In the last 21 years I have had a few Bunnies who could not be fully bonded, but lived happily alongside other Rabbits. In an ideal world all Rabbits would live as bonded pairs or in groups. But 1- We dont live in an ideal world and 2- there are always individual cases where it is in a specific Rabbit's best interests not to be bonded. As long as they have interaction with Rabbits around them and/or a lot of human attention then IMO they still have a good quality of life.

Sending lots of vibes for Dilly xx

Thank you, please can I ask about Lord H - did he feel cold when fitting. I know dogs and humans for fitting and they have both felt hot when fitting. Cold is something I have found strange to Dilly?
I think Dilly thinks he is human! the other day we were sat having tea and he jumped up on the dining chair and put his chin on the table!!!
Thank you for the vibes x

Oh sad to read this :( though sounds like him and Susan had a lovely time in the sunshine! Sending lots of hugs xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, please can I ask about Lord H - did he feel cold when fitting. I know dogs and humans for fitting and they have both felt hot when fitting. Cold is something I have found strange to Dilly?
I think Dilly thinks he is human! the other day we were sat having tea and he jumped up on the dining chair and put his chin on the table!!!
Thank you for the vibes x

Lord H's temperature is usually normal in that he feels neither very warm or very cold to touch.
Did Dilly's temperature return to normal once the seizure stopped ?

Has the Vet suggested doing any diagnostics for any potential heart problems ? I am not intending to add to your worry by asking this, and it is probably totally irrelevant. But Giant breed Rabbits are more prone to heart problems and also EC can effect the heart. Poor thermoregulation can be associated with heart problems x

I am so sorry to read this. Poor Dilly. It must have been a terrible shock but hopefully the meds will work and make Dilly feel better quickly. Both you and he have been through so much in such a short space of time. Sending huge nose rubs for Dilly and loads of vibes and also some hugs for you. xx

I am so sorry to read that Dilly had a fit and it must have been very distressing for you. I was not aware that he has had them before. I hope that the medication helps.

I wouldn't give up on the bonding yet, but equally I would accept that maybe it's not to be. I would wait until things have settled down a bit with Dilly and then perhaps try again.

Sending you loads of hugs as well. I hope you have a better night's sleep tonight.

Lord H's temperature is usually normal in that he feels neither very warm or very cold to touch.
Did Dilly's temperature return to normal once the seizure stopped ?

Has the Vet suggested doing any diagnostics for any potential heart problems ? I am not intending to add to your worry by asking this, and it is probably totally irrelevant. But Giant breed Rabbits are more prone to heart problems and also EC can effect the heart. Poor thermoregulation can be associated with heart problems x

Jane to answer your questions, yes Dillys temp returned to normal after the fit - but hence me covering him with a blanket. Like you ordinarily he feels neither hot or cold.
Yes Sheryl has run some heart tests on him and all have come back normal. She thinks the fitting is the granulation from the EC.

Back