• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex-Rex (Syrian hamster)

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Rex-Rex hamster was humanely euthanised on the 19th of December, 2018 after being diagnosed with an abdominal tumour.

Rex-Rex was a gorgeous bundle of fun. Insanely tame, right from the word go, he was a bright and cheerful chap. He never bit, never screeched, and was always happy to receive attention. His favourite treats were chicken and broccoli; neither were ever pouched - both were eaten straight away. He loved climbing things, loved chewing, escaped once and survived the gauntlet of cat, thank goodness.

He was still only a youngster, really. We had him for just 10 months or so; his alleged age. Beautiful boy was white with speckled ginger, and had beautiful red eyes. Apparently I was unusual in the fact of finding his beady red eyes so attractive, but I will never get the idea that they are creepy because of the colour.

Although his sister had two dwarf hammies as a child, OH had never particularly had any experience with hamsters. Rex-Rex was a delight to him; he never realised just entertaining, industrious, and clever they were. He didn't know just what big characters hid in their tiny bodies. In many ways, Rex-Rex was a perfect first hamster for someone to have..

Rex-Rex didn't show many signs of slowing down, not until the last couple of days. When we took him to the vet, I more or less knew for certain that this would be goodbye. The hamster that never bit managed to bite four times in his last handling session; twice to me, and twice to the poor vet.

He has bequeathed his nearly-new Alaska cage to Uraya the dwarf hamster, who is having a ball with it. She has not inherited his 28cm Trixie wheel as she finds it far too big.

Rex-Rex, you are dearly missed, sweet boy. Scurry free at the Rainbow Bridge. The few months we shared were far too short. xxx

NMeLJwf.jpg

Gag6I0q.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words. I've only just managed to write a proper dedication, but that doesn't make him any less missed. xxx

Thank you for your kind words. I've only just managed to write a proper dedication, but that doesn't make him any less missed. xxx
I still haven't managed to write anything for one of my buns, it's been nearly a year, I certainly don't think it means they aren't missed. Sometimes it's just too damn hard.

What you've written is beautiful btw and he was so gorgeous xxx

So sorry that you have lost Rex Rex, he sounded quite a character. Scurry free little one xxxx

Sorry I didn't see this before. What a very sweet boy, am sorry you lost him. These tiny ones can break your heart. :cry:. Until I start fostering hamsters I didn't know what wonderful personalities they had. Hugs xxx

Back