• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A question about Dennis

loobers25

Warren Veteran
So when I separate Dennis's fur I can come across white flakes of dandruff. Also loose strands of fur with a skin flake attached at the bottom.

I have never had a black bunny before so don't know how much you would see usually

Does this sound like mites? I showed John a while back and he said mites would present alot more dandruff. Also Dennis scratches his lion head fur quite a lot so I don't know if the longer fur is irritating him or he has mites.

Also if I wanted to do a treatment do I have to go to the vets and is it ok with bonded rabbits as they are very groomy. Well Dennis is anyway. Maple has these tufts too with skin attached to the bottom of the fur but I can't see any dandruff as she's a lighter colour I quess.

Also is there any side effects from mite treatment?

Also if you don't think might should I cut his hair do right back?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I've never had a rabbit with Mites or any other skin problem. Nor have I ever had a black rabbit, come to think of it, so wouldn't know what was normal and what not.

I hope you get it sorted out. Regarding cutting his hair do, I can't see that would do any harm.

It does sound like mites. I took my bun to the vet and got a treatment for him but can't remember what the treatment was. It was my bridge bun Furby who came from the Lymington breeder rescue (she had let things get out of hand and The Duchess organised to get the buns out of there) - so a very long time ago. I thought it was just dandruff - it was the vet who told me it was mites when I took Furby to register him and arrange his neuter.

So when I separate Dennis's fur I can come across white flakes of dandruff. Also loose strands of fur with a skin flake attached at the bottom.

I have never had a black bunny before so don't know how much you would see usually

Does this sound like mites? I showed John a while back and he said mites would present alot more dandruff. Also Dennis scratches his lion head fur quite a lot so I don't know if the longer fur is irritating him or he has mites.

Also if I wanted to do a treatment do I have to go to the vets and is it ok with bonded rabbits as they are very groomy. Well Dennis is anyway. Maple has these tufts too with skin attached to the bottom of the fur but I can't see any dandruff as she's a lighter colour I quess.

Teddy had this a while back, I was convinced it was mites but he wasn't itchy at all, so I asked a vet (not one I normally see) and he said it wasn't mites. I bought some Xeno 450 spot on, and within a week it was gone. I followed the full course and also treated my other bun as well although she had no symptoms.

Weirdly after the mites were gone, he had a massive moult and his coat has never looked better. It's worth a try, and you can buy online.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I do remember FHB telling me not to buy OTC mite treatment as t wasn't strong enough. This is going back 10 years though so maybe things have changed. Now I think of it Mousey sometimes has some dandruffy hair when she is moulting. It does show on black buns more. Maybe you could take a really clear photo to show us & perhaps email to Uncle John. I'd only want to treat if necessary. Don't go cutting Dennys beautiful hair back or Boobly will be down to beat you up .

I do remember FHB telling me not to buy OTC mite treatment as t wasn't strong enough. This is going back 10 years though so maybe things have changed. Now I think of it Mousey sometimes has some dandruffy hair when she is moulting. It does show on black buns more. Maybe you could take a really clear photo to show us & perhaps email to Uncle John. I'd only want to treat if necessary. Don't go cutting Dennys beautiful hair back or Boobly will be down to beat you up .
That's interesting, I would've taken some from this particular vet but he was adamant it wasn't mites, I just bought it as I was unconvinced at the time. I'd imagine something from the vet would be stronger even now.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Hi Loobers

A few specks of dandruff wouldn't necessarily mean fur mites so I agree with John.

If he's got mites, then you'd have to treat Maple as well as it's quite catching.

You can get OTC treatment which is the same as the vet would give. But if you're not sure, then probably best to get the vet to examine and then treat. It's 2 or 3 treatments (depending on what the vet thinks) given a fortnight apart:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

Frosty has had mites before, I hadn’t even noticed them, but the vet picked them up when he went in for his check up, and I could barely see them under the magnifying glass either, but the vet could, and once pointed out, my daughter could see them too, under the naked eye. The vet (rabbit savvy) prescribed xeno450 and that got rid of them.

I wouldn’t use anything without the vet saying so first, you could maybe phone and ask for advice or an appointment .I don’t know if xeno450 is ok to use in a bonded pair.

My bridge boy Rio had mites,small bald patch on back of neck,took him to vet ,he got an injection to kill them,and a repeat dose a few weeks later.His wifebun was treated too,though she presented no symptoms.Cannot remember the name of the drug,this was over ten years ago.Both total house buns,I asked how did they catch them.On the hay was most probable cause.I started to freeze it,they never had then again.

I made an appointment this Friday, the receptionist said they could look under a microscope for me. He definitely has a bald patch on the back of his neck but I wasn't sure if it was where the two different types of fur met.

If any where it's come from:
Forage
Timothy hay.co.uk
Or hay cookies

I'll come over too! :evil:

Hypothetically speaking...If I have cut all Dennis's lion hair off will it grow back?

And also feeling very nervous about car trip today :, (

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking...If I have cut all Dennis's lion hair off will it grow back?

And also feeling very nervous about car trip today :, (

Sending lots of hugs for your car trip today. I hope you get some good advice from Uncle John. I've never cut a rabbit's hair, but I imagine it would grow back. When a rabbit's hair is shaved, it grows back immediately. It might wait until his next moult though.

Thank you both. We are going to the closer practice again to see JC so fortunately only a 15 minute drive at most but I do worry about it still :(

Hopefully will put my mind at ease over Christmas. Will keep u posted

Thank you both. We are going to the closer practice again to see JC so fortunately only a 15 minute drive at most but I do worry about it still :(

Hopefully will put my mind at ease over Christmas. Will keep u posted

Good luck for today xx

Diagnosis handsome. I hope thats all he comes back with. Big brave girl vibes for today, hopefully it will get a little bit easier each time. Is Syrupy going too?xx

Diagnosis handsome. I hope thats all he comes back with. Big brave girl vibes for today, hopefully it will get a little bit easier each time. Is Syrupy going too?xx
Yes syrupiness is coming too. xx

Ok so Dennis has had an injection today. Not much dandruff present but he's very scratchy. Ears and teeth ok so we started the course of injections...If I see an improvement we will continue the course (two more injections) if makes no difference then it's just dry skin. Will do syrup if need be but John wasn't happy to start her until we see what happens with Dennis. John is leaning towards Dennis not having any mites though.

Last edited:
I might give Dennis a hair cut too, sorry everybun. It might be irritating him

Back