• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ideas for hutch

hello,
I've read in many places that rabbit hutches are too small for rabbits needs. I have been looking into getting a shed but don't think im able too but I have space for a run. I was wondering if something like this (attached link) would be ok if adapted. Just looking at different options so I can find the best option and cheapest way to show to my parents.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Wooden-Garden-Shed-Storage-Tool-Box-Chest-Trunk-Laundry-Basket-Bin-W-Lid/401643575327

Thinking of doing something like this if its cheaper and overall better for rabbits
13686497_10207784717028989_7904397923811398579_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but those Bike sheds are not big enough, do not have a window for light. Pets at Home do a 2-tier 5' hutch for £85. Cover is £45.

tbh though not even the PAH hutch is really big enough at 5ft. and I can say from experience that its not. once you have bowls, litter, toys the amount of space is tiny. no rabbit should ever be locked in it fully. your best bet is a hutch & run combo, so they can chose to come outside and have space to stretch and run around. a hutch by itself (or shed) will never be enough.

plus you really get what you pay for. I've had a PAH hutch but the reality was was that it was very cheap wood and cheaply made. it had started to rot after 2 years. putting it together was a nightmare too, as the holes didn't always align. the mesh on it was also only chicken wire, to which I can assure you any determined fox or cat could rip through with ease, or any human as there are some sickos out there. the bolts aren't very secure on there either, a fox could easily open them. or, I had the issue of that some of the bolts didn't align to opening the door (or closing it) was a real issue. you're really going to get what you pay for, go cheap and you're going to get a cheap poor quality hutch that will last a few years if that. go more expensive and you'll get something that will last longer and be better quality.

so sure the PAH bluebell hutch costs like £85 but you're not factoring in costs for the fact that you'll probably need and want to upgrade the chicken wire for peace of mind, and redo the bolts. which could easily be another £50-100 when I looked at doing it.

either way, a hutch will never be enough by itself. nor would a shed likely. its much better to offer a hutch/run combo or shed/run combo. it allows them to come out if they want too, eat some grass if its on grass, get some fresh air, stretch their legs - on their terms. rabbits don't like having bedtimes or being told what to do lol.

you could also consider an aviary, many people use these and find them cheaper and good quality.

for any shed or aviary you're going to need to consider roofing and guttering, for the rain. you'll also want to consider insulation for the cold months either for a hutch, shed or aviary. likewise for a hutch you'll probably want to consider a hutch cover.

the RWAF recommends a minimum space of 10ft x 6ft x 3ft high (3m x 2m x 1m) for a pair of rabbits. even so, it wouldn't be much smaller if you had only a single. you'd still be looking at that size for one rabbit as when you add a second the space usually doesn't double.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/outdoor-rabbit-housing/

if you're in the UK, some of these might be good ideas
https://www.runaround.co.uk
https://www.manorpethousing.co.uk - I believe they do monthly payment plans. expensive yes, but built to last for years upon years.

so tbh with you I would suggest searching for a 6ft hutch, and then getting a 4ft x 10ft run or so. that would cover the space recommended.

Chartwell do a 6ft hutch that is said to be good quality, along with being large. the plus thing is too is that they also do their own runs, which are meant to be connected to the hutch. so no worry about how to connect them.
https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/hutch-6ft-chartwell-double/
https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/hutch-6ft-chartwell-single/

you could probably find it cheaper elsewhere so its good to shop around.

generally though I wouldn't put a rabbit in a hutch any smaller in a 5ft hutch, and I wouldn't keep them in just a hutch alone without 24/7 access to a run. 6ft is better, and offers a lot more room. having onced used a 5ft hutch, it really wasn't big enough for anything leaving little room for the rabbit to hop around.

tbh though not even the PAH hutch is really big enough at 5ft. and I can say from experience that its not. once you have bowls, litter, toys the amount of space is tiny. no rabbit should ever be locked in it fully. your best bet is a hutch & run combo, so they can chose to come outside and have space to stretch and run around. a hutch by itself (or shed) will never be enough.

plus you really get what you pay for. I've had a PAH hutch but the reality was was that it was very cheap wood and cheaply made. it had started to rot after 2 years. putting it together was a nightmare too, as the holes didn't always align. the mesh on it was also only chicken wire, to which I can assure you any determined fox or cat could rip through with ease, or any human as there are some sickos out there. the bolts aren't very secure on there either, a fox could easily open them. or, I had the issue of that some of the bolts didn't align to opening the door (or closing it) was a real issue. you're really going to get what you pay for, go cheap and you're going to get a cheap poor quality hutch that will last a few years if that. go more expensive and you'll get something that will last longer and be better quality.

so sure the PAH bluebell hutch costs like £85 but you're not factoring in costs for the fact that you'll probably need and want to upgrade the chicken wire for peace of mind, and redo the bolts. which could easily be another £50-100 when I looked at doing it.

either way, a hutch will never be enough by itself. nor would a shed likely. its much better to offer a hutch/run combo or shed/run combo. it allows them to come out if they want too, eat some grass if its on grass, get some fresh air, stretch their legs - on their terms. rabbits don't like having bedtimes or being told what to do lol.

you could also consider an aviary, many people use these and find them cheaper and good quality.

for any shed or aviary you're going to need to consider roofing and guttering, for the rain. you'll also want to consider insulation for the cold months either for a hutch, shed or aviary. likewise for a hutch you'll probably want to consider a hutch cover.

the RWAF recommends a minimum space of 10ft x 6ft x 3ft high (3m x 2m x 1m) for a pair of rabbits. even so, it wouldn't be much smaller if you had only a single. you'd still be looking at that size for one rabbit as when you add a second the space usually doesn't double.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/outdoor-rabbit-housing/

if you're in the UK, some of these might be good ideas
https://www.runaround.co.uk
https://www.manorpethousing.co.uk - I believe they do monthly payment plans. expensive yes, but built to last for years upon years.

so tbh with you I would suggest searching for a 6ft hutch, and then getting a 4ft x 10ft run or so. that would cover the space recommended.

Chartwell do a 6ft hutch that is said to be good quality, along with being large. the plus thing is too is that they also do their own runs, which are meant to be connected to the hutch. so no worry about how to connect them.
https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/hutch-6ft-chartwell-double/
https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/hutch-6ft-chartwell-single/

you could probably find it cheaper elsewhere so its good to shop around.

generally though I wouldn't put a rabbit in a hutch any smaller in a 5ft hutch, and I wouldn't keep them in just a hutch alone without 24/7 access to a run. 6ft is better, and offers a lot more room. having onced used a 5ft hutch, it really wasn't big enough for anything leaving little room for the rabbit to hop around.

That you so much this is very helpful I’ll have to look around again 😊

Basically keeping rabbits cost money. If you are struggling with the cost of the shed how will you pay all the vet costs?
The reason I say this is we bought a rabbit for my daughter. Foolishly. Once I read up we realised a hutch was inadequate since then we have spent a fortune on making suitable accommodation plus the vets bills. I think it’s probably nearer £1k altogether when you add up all the individual things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically keeping rabbits cost money. If you are struggling with the cost of the shed how will you pay all the vet costs?
The reason I say this is we bought a rabbit for my daughter. Foolishly. Once I read up we realised a hutch was inadequate since then we have spent a fortune on making suitable accommodation plus the vets bills. I think it’s probably nearer £1k altogether when you add up all the individual things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not necessary the cost that’s the issue it’s more the the space, it’s a big enough space for a rabbit as I’ve checked but it is awkwardly shaped so getting a shed in there just wouldn’t work I don’t think, thanks for your help though

That's quite a big leap in assumption. I'm also considering converting bike sheds but spend £1,000s on vet bills.

For me, it's not the space that's the problem but I want several set ups for pairs and aesthetically several sheds doesn't do it for me.

Sorry but those Bike sheds are not big enough, do not have a window for light. Pets at Home do a 2-tier 5' hutch for £85. Cover is £45.

The Bluebell hutch is cheap and flimsy. I own a couple of them as I wanted something quickly for rabbits I needed to quarantine. They are made so they can be transported easily flat packed. They are excellent for what they are but not really good for a long-term secure home for rabbits. When I've bought them I've replaced the floors and back boards with 9mm plywood, replaced the bolts and added hasps and staples, so they've ended up costing a lot more than the £99 that they originally were (though I think I paid £75 with vouchers/special offer or some such). .. And as Binky Cody also pointed out - the mesh isn't adequate. It's not stapled on well enough. These hutches would be no match for a fox.

This is what I'm toying with the idea of converting:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x6-Tong...h=item52038b42e0:g:jjAAAOSwPpZaTdyZ:rk:4:pf:0

I would put windows in, put mesh in the doors/ make mesh doors as inner doors, create some ventilation. I'd also make various shelves and a 'bunker' in a corner for a snug hidey hole. I would also plan to put a run in front of it with the same roof shape and a solid roof for the whole run ... it's a big project and I'm probably dreaming but the idea is churning round....

That's quite a big leap in assumption. I'm also considering converting bike sheds but spend £1,000s on vet bills.

For me, it's not the space that's the problem but I want several set ups for pairs and aesthetically several sheds doesn't do it for me.

The Bluebell hutch is cheap and flimsy. I own a couple of them as I wanted something quickly for rabbits I needed to quarantine. They are made so they can be transported easily flat packed. They are excellent for what they are but not really good for a long-term secure home for rabbits. When I've bought them I've replaced the floors and back boards with 9mm plywood, replaced the bolts and added hasps and staples, so they've ended up costing a lot more than the £99 that they originally were (though I think I paid £75 with vouchers/special offer or some such). .. And as Binky Cody also pointed out - the mesh isn't adequate. It's not stapled on well enough. These hutches would be no match for a fox.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x6-Tong...h=item52038b42e0:g:jjAAAOSwPpZaTdyZ:rk:4:pf:0

I would put windows in, put mesh in the doors/ make mesh doors as inner doors, create some ventilation. I'd also make various shelves and a 'bunker' in a corner for a snug hidey hole. I would also plan to put a run in front of it with the same roof shape and a solid roof for the whole run ... it's a big project and I'm probably dreaming but the idea is churning round....

Ah ok thank you I was actually looking into a bluebell hutch but if it’s as bad as you say maybe I’ll give it a pass
Your idea is lovely hope you get to do it at some point 😊

Ah ok thank you I was actually looking into a bluebell hutch but if it’s as bad as you say maybe I’ll give it a pass
Your idea is lovely hope you get to do it at some point ��

Thanks. The Clover hutch is better, but I wouldn't use a p@h hutch without serious modifications. There are quality hutches out there though, sadly a lot of the manufacturers of such have closed down in the last couple of years.

Your idea is lovely hope you get to do it at some point [emoji4]
Yea I wouldn't get it, they're great for what they are in a way, and I'm glad they're making a 6ft one now, but I reckon after two years you'll need to buy a new one.. If I was you I spend more once then not have to replace it :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

Your bike shed project sounds great :love: liv.loveloz, there’s some great ideas in the outdoor housing sticky, including some bike shed conversions http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing-Tips-amp-Examples

that storage shed looks a good starting point for conversion - especially with the run you are planning.

liv.loveloz - there is a slight problem with outdoor bunnies & hutches.
my ex started off with bunnies (for the kids) pretty much thinking of a similar set-up to yours & I built a hutch. The idea was for them to be running around the garden in the day then put in the hutch at night.
They were a nightmare to get in the hutch. You can't catch them & you can't chase them in. If they don't want to go in by themselves it is very very difficult to get them in & the more you try, the harder it gets & the more the bunnies get stressed.

I suppose that is why hutches have runs, but then it has to be pretty big to allow the buns to have enough space.

imo if you are looking for a tame rabbit, don't go the outdoors route. sorry to say this, but in my experience of 5 outdoor bunnies, they are less cuddly than cats.
My latest one was handleable when i got him but i let them roam free in the garden in the day. by day 4, with no handling, he was unhandleable.
they do go in their shed at night - usually - because this is when i feed them & i then lock them in until the morning. once in a while they refuse to go in. it can take literally hours to chase them in when this happens.

P.S. really great of you for checking things out before jumping in & getting a bunny.

Last edited:
Hi Liv, I think it's great that you are trying to 'think outside the box' for bunny housing. This thread is a little judgy in places :?

If converted well, I think those bike sheds can make a good base to attach a run to etc. I think someones mentioned the 'sticky' which contains just such an idea.

I do find that playhouses work well though and if you can pick one up second hand then they don't have to cost the earth. We have 3 and the most we paid was £40 x

(Eta: maybe they didn't, its here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...door-Housing&p=5208479&viewfull=1#post5208479) x

Last edited:
Hi Liv, I think it's great that you are trying to 'think outside the box' for bunny housing. This thread is a little judgy in places :?

If converted well, I think those bike sheds can make a good base to attach a run to etc. I think someones mentioned the 'sticky' which contains just such an idea.

I do find that playhouses work well though and if you can pick one up second hand then they don't have to cost the earth. We have 3 and the most we paid was £40 x

(Eta: maybe they didn't, its here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...door-Housing&p=5208479&viewfull=1#post5208479) x

Thank you for your help ❤️

I feel it would be totally feasible to use the bike shed with a permanently attached run. The lack of windows wouldn't be an issue as there would be plenty of light in the run area :)

I feel it would be totally feasible to use the bike shed with a permanently attached run. The lack of windows wouldn't be an issue as there would be plenty of light in the run area

I'm inclined to agree with this. Mine are always in their run, the rare occassions I see them in the playhouse it in really extreme weather or have been startled and are retreating somewhere safe. With that in mind, the facts its so enclosed would possibly be a positive.

The main thing for me would be ventilator which is easily cured with a couple of those plastic vents fitted, and possibly in summer you might want an internal mesh door to allow full ventilation on really hot days.

I actually really loved the fact that the RWAF hutch they show at pet shows had full shutters, and this is very similar in that respect.

I feel it would be totally feasible to use the bike shed with a permanently attached run. The lack of windows wouldn't be an issue as there would be plenty of light in the run area :)

yea tbh if you had a run attached 24/7 and they were never locked in, the bike shed could work pretty well. just not to be ever locked in for a period of time due to the light and the fact that they'll never be big enough. I'd also imagine they'd be quite cozy if insulated and a hole cut for the door.

for me if I was to use a bikeshed, I'd have the doors shut and then cut a hole, or use a catflap or runaround opening for them to go in and out of. the bikeshed if then insulated and stuffed with hay could be quite a cozy hideaway. and they'll then have a large area to hide away from predators, as rabbits like to have the safety of hidey holes. in the winter it willbe nice and toasty too.

and tbh, I always find those hidey holes or houses marketed at rabbits have never seen a rabbit before :roll: almost every one I've brought has been too far small, and my rabbits are average. perhaps a nethie might fit but most rabbits won't. so a super large hidey hole of a bikeshed thats nice and toasty too would be great.

a lot of people tend to have large sheds anyway, or aviaries, then get a cheap small hutch and use that as their rabbits hidey hole. stuffed with straw and insulated to make it nice and warm too for the winter.

although I'd probably add windows to my bikeshed so I could spy on them :lol: every hidey hole I always try and face towards me so I can spy on them snoozing in their cat beds or houses.

my only concern with a bike shed is that it might be a bit cramped. you'd probably want to have your litter trays and hay in there, to stop it getting soggy, and I've noticed some rabbits don't like to poop where they feel exposed. in a run they would. plus might also attract predators more. even with the best will in the world some rain will probably get in, which would make it a bit gross. once you add hay, litter trays and perhaps toys (as if they get wet in the run they'll probably end up turning gross) there probably won't be much room left for the actual buns. so getting a large hutch might just be best??

most people often cover their runs to stop it getting too wet inside. most people seem to use corrugated sheets with bricks under one side creating a slope so the rain runs off. then people tend to use clear tarpaulin down the sides as they're breathable and allows light through. you could do the same for the bike shed too to prodect the wood and so the rain doesn't pool on top. same for a hutch too, adds a bit more protection.

Back