• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not drinking after GI stasis but eating really well.

BlindXX

Young Bun
Hi, basically we just caught one of our buns in the very early stages of GI stasis - first three hours. She had a bout about 6 weeks ago that needed emergency vet treatment as her body temp dropped and she went into shock. However this time we got it early - popped her on a blanket with a heat pad underneath, infacol (the most amazing stuff!) a force feed of fibreplex (i think) and I took her into work to keep an eye on her. She ate some kale and readigrass and went to the toilet (small and malformed, as expected).

I got her home, she went straight for the hay, eating well. This morning she was back to her normal eating habits - faceplanting the food bowl gannet style as she attempted to stuff herself as quickly as possible. I've no worries on that front. However, I haven't seen her drink yet. We did give them wet greens, to help as I know how imprtant fluids are fter GI stasis, and I'm assuming if she is eating like that she will drink too, rather than just dehydrate? I'd rather not force liquids on her as it was stress from fireworks that I think caused it last time. I'm gonna get some pineapple juice to make the water more appealing, and see if that helps. She is behaving completely normally now, if she hadn't have been funny yesterday, I wouldn't think twice today. Any advice is much appreciated!

Hi, basically we just caught one of our buns in the very early stages of GI stasis - first three hours. She had a bout about 6 weeks ago that needed emergency vet treatment as her body temp dropped and she went into shock. However this time we got it early - popped her on a blanket with a heat pad underneath, infacol (the most amazing stuff!) a force feed of fibreplex (i think) and I took her into work to keep an eye on her. She ate some kale and readigrass and went to the toilet (small and malformed, as expected).

I got her home, she went straight for the hay, eating well. This morning she was back to her normal eating habits - faceplanting the food bowl gannet style as she attempted to stuff herself as quickly as possible. I've no worries on that front. However, I haven't seen her drink yet. We did give them wet greens, to help as I know how imprtant fluids are fter GI stasis, and I'm assuming if she is eating like that she will drink too, rather than just dehydrate? I'd rather not force liquids on her as it was stress from fireworks that I think caused it last time. I'm gonna get some pineapple juice to make the water more appealing, and see if that helps. She is behaving completely normally now, if she hadn't have been funny yesterday, I wouldn't think twice today. Any advice is much appreciated!

Does she have a sipper bottle or a bowl for her water ? Rabbits tend to drink more readily from a bowl. I am glad that she seems to be much better today :)

You're doing everything right and it sounds like she's recovering well :)

If you're giving wet greens then perhaps she's getting all her moisture there?

Does she use a bowl or a bottle? If bottle, then I would also provide a bowl at the moment - pineapple juice can sometimes help and my vet recommends it. Some people also add a probiotic Avipro to the water - probably doesn't do any good but also does no harm and can help them to drink as it's got sugar in.

Keep an eye on her poos and make sure they are getting better :)

She has a bottle - always has. We have three bunnies and they tend to tread in/spill/poo in water bowls! They have always been fine with a bottle so far (had one for 2yrs and the pair he bonded with for around 18months). The only times we've tried a bowl though is when they've been separated for some reason (after op or after one has been ill so we can monitor them). Still can't believe how quick they go down when they decide to get ill. At least we are better at seeing the signs! Only problem with keeping an eye on the poos is the shared litter tray. I'd rather not seperate them if possible, it upsets them, but its easy enough to do so if needed. She was pooing yesterday, and has been in fine form this morning being her usual cheeky self (my other half found her inside an empty pellet bag that by the back door for dispolal!)

Quick update -panic over. Saw her drinking tonight. Appetite good as ever. I just freak out when one of them gets ill. Thanks all for the advice given.

Quick update -panic over. Saw her drinking tonight. Appetite good as ever. I just freak out when one of them gets ill. Thanks all for the advice given.

Ah you're very welcome :D

Glad to hear you aren't going to have a worrisome night :D

Back