• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Closure

zarathustra

Warren Scout
As some of you may be aware we lost our boys Frank and Spencer suddenly towards the end of October.

Subsequently we discovered that the vets had incorrectly vaccinated them, so they were not covered for RHD2.

The initial postmortem confirmed RHD but not the strain, and after several weeks of going back and forth with the vets they have confirmed today that they ordered further tests, and that the results show that Spencer, and by extension Frank had RHD2.

This has finally brought us some closure, and while it won't bring our boys back we can at least move on now with a definitive diagnosis, and while there are some things that we will need to settle with the vets this saga is almost at an end.

Now we can look forward to giving some very deserving bunnies a new happy house in the new year.

Thanks to everyone for their support

I really sorry that it was confirmed RHD2. It's very unlucky and sad sad situation.

Is there any updates regarding the vets?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I really sorry that it was confirmed RHD2. It's very unlucky and sad sad situation.

Is there any updates regarding the vets?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

While nothing can bring the boys back we are currently working out what this has cost us, and at the moment it comes to £1300 just in emergency vet bills and post mortem costs.

We are also going to ask for money for the hutch, the cover for the run, and the tunnel that connected the run to the hutch, as we believe disinfecting these will be difficult and therefore they would need to be replaced.

Luckily the run itself is all weld mesh (one of the run-around binky boxes) so that can be pressure washed and thoroughly cleaned with Virkon.

I have the name of the vet who incorrectly administered the vaccinations, but she no longer works at the surgery, so not sure whether I can reporter her if the surgery is dealing with it

thanks for the update, zarathustra. So sad about Frank & Spencer. It touched everyone's heart here.

How very sad. As you say, you do have some sort of closure, but that doesn't take away the pain.

I’m so sorry this happened to you and your partner, and your beautiful buns, but good that you’ve now got some type of closure. The vet was clearly very negligent, and I would complain anyway even if the surgery are dealing with it.

I’m sure others on here will be able to advise.

Xx

As some of you may be aware we lost our boys Frank and Spencer suddenly towards the end of October.

Subsequently we discovered that the vets had incorrectly vaccinated them, so they were not covered for RHD2.

The initial postmortem confirmed RHD but not the strain, and after several weeks of going back and forth with the vets they have confirmed today that they ordered further tests, and that the results show that Spencer, and by extension Frank had RHD2.

This has finally brought us some closure, and while it won't bring our boys back we can at least move on now with a definitive diagnosis, and while there are some things that we will need to settle with the vets this saga is almost at an end.

Now we can look forward to giving some very deserving bunnies a new happy house in the new year.

The last few weeks must have been hellish for you. Whilst having a definitive cause of Frank and Spencer's tragic deaths cant make your grief any less raw, I do hope that in time you will be able to remember the happier moments you shared with your two Rabbit friends.

I am not sure if you have already done so, but before taking on any more Rabbits I'd suggest having a read of this information, particularly that specifically about bringing new Rabbits into an environment where a confirmed RHD outbreak has occurred :

'' Can I get another rabbit at home if I have lost one with RHD or RHDV2?

Yes, althoug the virus that causes RHD or RHDV2 is difficult to kill so it is a good idea to disinfect oor throw way anything the dead rabbit was in contact with. It is also a good idea to get a rabbit that has been vaccinated against RHD and RHDV2 i.e. to go to a rescue centre. Buying a new baby rabbit is probably not a good idea.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD#section-21

Personally I think Anigene HLD4V High Level is the best disinfectant to use

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Anigene...m-WBe8TUvU23IMAOq_JukMmWrvZH-LMcaAiGaEALw_wcB

Very best wishes for when you obtain some more Rabbits and I sincerely hope that you never have to experience your recent horrendous ordeal again x

I’m so sorry that you had to go through this :cry: I hope that you will be able to remember the good times you had with Frank and Spencer. I’m glad you are able to give a new home to another pair of rabbits.

I'm sorry that those are the results, but glad that there can now be closure. You have the information and I really hope your vets behave honourably by you and settle amicably.

I know you and I have already discussed disinfecting/bringing new rabbits home in the case of RHD2, but please feel free to PM me again any time if I can help further.

thanks all.

Pretty much the only thing we will be keeping is the run, and this will be thoroughly cleaned an disinfected, along with the patio and garden, before any new rabbits are bought in, and that wont be until March/April time at the earliest.

Back