• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Ulcer update p11 18.12.18

Den

Mama Doe
Nancy has developed an ulcer in her left eye following surgery to remove 2 teeth and an upper jaw abscess.

Vet diagnosed an ulcer in her eye at her post op check on Monday - I mentioned I was concerned about her eye so he put a fluorescent drop in and the ulcer showed up green.

She was prescribed chloramphenical eye drops 3 times a day. She had another check up this afternoon and sadly the ulcer has got slightly bigger. Her tear duct isn't blocked but vet says she has conjunctivitis as well. He seems to think she's been rubbing and scratching at that area following the surgery. I haven't noticed her doing this - indeed she isn't grooming that side properly.

So she's got another drop called Remend and he also fitted a soft buster collar on her so she couldn't get at the eye - he doesn't like them on rabbits but said I could take it off when I was there and could supervise her - but I've had to take it off as she couldn't eat or drink and was going crazy with it. I tried folding the bit under her chin but she then got her feet caught. I can't leave it on all night otherwise she won't eat or drink.

I wondered if she's reacting badly to the chloramphenical drop as her eye looks worse now than it did monday.

Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
Nancy has developed an ulcer in her left eye following surgery to remove 2 teeth and an upper jaw abscess.

Vet diagnosed an ulcer in her eye at her post op check on Monday - I mentioned I was concerned about her eye so he put a fluorescent drop in and the ulcer showed up green.

She was prescribed chloramphenical eye drops 3 times a day. She had another check up this afternoon and sadly the ulcer has got slightly bigger. Her tear duct isn't blocked but vet says she has conjunctivitis as well. He seems to think she's been rubbing and scratching at that area following the surgery. I haven't noticed her doing this - indeed she isn't grooming that side properly.

So she's got another drop called Remend and he also fitted a soft buster collar on her so she couldn't get at the eye - he doesn't like them on rabbits but said I could take it off when I was there and could supervise her - but I've had to take it off as she couldn't eat or drink and was going crazy with it. I tried folding the bit under her chin but she then got her feet caught. I can't leave it on all night otherwise she won't eat or drink.

I wondered if she's reacting badly to the chloramphenical drop as her eye looks worse now than it did monday.

I went through this just recently and I also found that the chloramphenicol made the eye look more sore. I was also using the remend - expensive but very good stuff for healing eye ulcers.

We changed the antibiotic to Fucithalmic (now called Isathal) and everything looked much better. The ulcer cleared up and the eye was less sore overall.

I am kinda wondering what the real cause of her ulcer is. Has the vet checked the pressures for glaucoma? Unlikely but just to be sure. Also, is it the eye on the same side as the surgery? Could have been a hay poke or something, but should be starting to get better rather than worse. Hence me wondering about glaucoma, as if the eye is enlarged for any reason, then it doesn't shut properly and an ulcer can form.

You can tell by the shape of the ulcer oftentimes what has caused it - ie if it's a 'line' across the centre of the eye then it could be due to not closing the eye properly for some reason or another (during surgery maybe?) Or if it's round it's possibly trauma.

Hugs - you don't need extra worries.

Is everything else looking OK? Was Baytril the antibiotic of choice? (sorry if you've said that elsewhere) xx

Just another thought .... Tiacil is also another good eye antibiotic.
I found Isathal better, but worth a try xx

Some Rabbits may react badly to a particular eye treatment, I have never had any problem using CMP for eye ulcers though.

There are various other preparations which can be prescribed, but the Vet also needs to ascertain the primary cause of the ulcer, if possible. Santa on here (well, on extended leave from here now as she's at Uni Studying Vet Med !) had a Bunny (called Santa!) with a very stubborn corneal ulcer. This is one of Santa's posts from 2016 in reply to another question about corneal ulceration ;

Hi Moosic, do you know what the cause of the ulcer was in the first place? I've had good success with a couple of off-label antibiotic eye drops, called ciloxan and exocin (not at the same time - used for different bunnies) for persistent eye ulcers. The remend is a good idea too, but it must be given at least half an hour after the antibiotic eye drops otherwise it coats the surface of the eye and stops the other drops from getting to where they need to go. I can't remember what it's called because it's some time since I've had it done, but your vet can also put some local anaesthetic drops in the eye and gently wipe away the dead cells around the ulcer to stimulate new growth and get new cells to 'stick'. If this doesn't work there are other more advanced procedures to encourage healing. I would also recommend some pain relief for your little one if he hasn't already got it - ulcers are very painful!

But it's important to know why it happened in the first place, as if there is something wrong with the eye (for instance not producing enough tears) then no amount of drops and interventions will make the ulcer heal without tackling the underlying cause.

I hope you manage to make some progress in getting his eye sorted x

I believe the procedure Santa refers to is called 'Debridement and Grid Keratotomy'. This explains the procedure, although the article is about dogs the procedure is the same for Rabbits

https://wagwalking.com/treatment/grid-keratotomy

These links contain some further information

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Ulcer/Ulc_en.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CornealUlcerationRabbit.htm

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=3860707&pid=11242&

Thank you both for the advice.

MM The eye with the ulcer is the same side as her surgery. The vet didn't check for glaucoma as far as I know but did say she has cataracts forming. She is on another antibiotic in addition to the Baytril. This one's called Metronidazole. Thankfully she likes this one.

JJ Thank you for this information- very interesting reading. I'know' Santa on Facebook through her RVHD2 page.

Very down at the moment as nothing seems to be getting better with Nancy now.:cry:

Poor Nancy :( Her eye will be sore if she also has conjunctivitis. Are you due to go back to have her eye examined again?

It would appear that the eye problems have arisen since the operation as otherwise it would hopefully have been noticed during her examination before the op. If that's the case it would, in my view, be unlikely to be Glaucoma. I might be wrong of course.

Nancy is an EC rabbit isn't she? Could it be that she's had a flare-up of that due to the trauma of the op, plus as the vet suggested she has then introduced infection into it, because of the sensation of the ulcer?

I have had rabbits with eye ulcers previously and from memory they took a while to improve.

Sending loads of vibes for Nancy and lots of hugs for you.

Poor Nancy :( Her eye will be sore if she also has conjunctivitis. Are you due to go back to have her eye examined again?

It would appear that the eye problems have arisen since the operation as otherwise it would hopefully have been noticed during her examination before the op. If that's the case it would, in my view, be unlikely to be Glaucoma. I might be wrong of course.

Nancy is an EC rabbit isn't she? Could it be that she's had a flare-up of that due to the trauma of the op, plus as the vet suggested she has then introduced infection into it, because of the sensation of the ulcer?

I have had rabbits with eye ulcers previously and from memory they took a while to improve.

Sending loads of vibes for Nancy and lots of hugs for you.

This may be a very significant point. Perhaps you could discuss it with your Vet on Monday and ask if another course of Panacur may be a good idea. EC can effect the eyes leading to cataract formation and/or phacoclastic uveitis xx

Thank you both for the advice.

MM The eye with the ulcer is the same side as her surgery. The vet didn't check for glaucoma as far as I know but did say she has cataracts forming. She is on another antibiotic in addition to the Baytril. This one's called Metronidazole. Thankfully she likes this one.

JJ Thank you for this information- very interesting reading. I'know' Santa on Facebook through her RVHD2 page.

Very down at the moment as nothing seems to be getting better with Nancy now.:cry:

I'm so sorry things don't seem to be getting any better :(

I have to say though it can take a good few days for eye ulcers to clear up. The remend is going to help a lot. The antibiotic stops any infection getting in.

It's possibly connected with the surgery.

Was the C&S sensitive to Metronidozole then? Glad she likes it!

Thank you everyone.

Nancy has a check up tomorrow so I will mention EC if he doesn't.

MM Yes to your question 're the C & S.

One positive is that her appetite is back to normal.

Thank you everyone.

Nancy has a check up tomorrow so I will mention EC if he doesn't.

MM Yes to your question 're the C & S.

One positive is that her appetite is back to normal.

that is good.

Best wishes to Nancy xxx

Back at the vets last night.

Good news that the ulcer is smaller but her eyelid still Very pink and she visibly winces when the chloramphenical drops are put in. So she has been switched to isathal instead.

Jane, he did mention the procedure you gave me the link to but hopefully it won't be needed as it has got smaller. He feels it is due to the trauma from her surgery.

As she isn't displaying any of her EC flare up symptoms we are not giving Panacur as she's on so much other medication at the moment.

Further check on Thursday and appointment already booked for Xmas Eve.

Really pleased that the ulcer is smaller, I've no experience of these, but hope it continues to heal well, sending more vibes for your brave bun xxx

Back at the vets last night.

Good news that the ulcer is smaller but her eyelid still Very pink and she visibly winces when the chloramphenical drops are put in. So she has been switched to isathal instead.

Jane, he did mention the procedure you gave me the link to but hopefully it won't be needed as it has got smaller. He feels it is due to the trauma from her surgery.

As she isn't displaying any of her EC flare up symptoms we are not giving Panacur as she's on so much other medication at the moment.

Further check on Thursday and appointment already booked for Xmas Eve.

Good to hear that things are going in the right direction :)

I wouldn't be adding Panacur into the mix either. It sounds like she has enough going in at the moment!

Bern for another check up today.

Ulcer is smaller again thank goodness.

Vet again mentioned surgical treatment to aid healing but is reluctant to do so at the moment because of all she's been through with the dental and the abscess, plus the fact she's an EC rabbit.

Another check up on 3rd January.

Thanks for caring everyone. :love:

Vet again mentioned surgical treatment to aid healing but is reluctant to do so at the moment because of all she's been through with the dental and the abscess, plus the fact she's an EC rabbit.

It's going the way it should, and that's good :)

I hope her abscess is healing well?

Hopefully by the 3rd Jan the ulcer will be even smaller or maybe even healed. They can take a bit of time to fully heal, but the fact that it's reducing in size is a very good sign.

I too would be very reluctant to opt for surgery at this early stage. Sending lots more vibes for her and a nose rub for Will so he doesn't feel left out ! xx

I’m so glad her ulcer is getting smaller:thumb: fingers crossed she doesn’t end up needing surgery xx

Hopefully by the 3rd Jan the ulcer will be even smaller or maybe even healed. They can take a bit of time to fully heal, but the fact that it's reducing in size is a very good sign.

I too would be very reluctant to opt for surgery at this early stage. Sending lots more vibes for her and a nose rub for Will so he doesn't feel left out ! xx

Thank you for thinking of Will. Although he's even less of a hands on bunny than Nancy is, I do think he feels left out.

I have noticed today he is grooming Nancy again on her poorly side which I've not seen him do since her surgery, so I am taking this as a good sign.

Back