• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

any spare vibes for Luna // update #32

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
I don’t know very much not being home right now but Luna showed signs of stasis this morning. she was just seen by our vet and they said she had a bladder infection :( she’s terribly bloated.

she’s had an injection but if she doesn’t perk up she may need to be put on a drip, so I presume they’d keep her in.

them getting sick while i’m gone was my biggest concern. nobody else knows nor can syringe feed them. the only thing I wanted was for them to be healthy with no issues :(

I’m worried sick but I know there’s nothing I can do and worrying won’t change anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know very much not being home right now but Luna showed signs of stasis this morning. she was just seen by our vet and they said she had a bladder infection :( she’s terribly bloated.

she’s had an injection but if she doesn’t perk up she may need to be put on a drip, so I presume they’d keep her in.

them getting sick while i’m gone was my biggest concern. nobody else knows nor can syringe feed them. the only thing I wanted was for them to be healthy with no issues :(

I’m worried sick but I know there’s nothing I can do and worrying won’t change anything

Sending millions of vibes for Luna. I hope she'll soon be feeling much better xx

My best and finest vibes for Luna xx

thank you all x

she’s home now. she’s perked up a little bit but not much. she had a run around and a tiny nibble. she won’t take my recovery food and my parents can’t manage to do it :( the one neighbour I would have called on for this is on holiday. I think there’s some baby fruit purée so i asked to give her that, but I don’t think she’ll take that either.

if she doesn’t improve overnight they want her in tomorrow for fluid therapy and around the clock monitoring

BC I'm so sorry to hear this. Maybe Luna and orion are better at the vets where Luna can be syringed properly. Is there anyone local who can help from RU, or is there anything I can help with? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

thank you guys x

thank you for your offer Loobers but I don't think so :( if it was me I wouldn't mind if somebody came to help but its just my parents currently taking care of them and I don't think they would appreciate that. in fact I feel like I know they wouldn't as they don't like strangers in their house which is understandable.

somebody suggested putting critical care on her paws so she licks it off. not ideal but might work. sometimes if they were being stubborn I'd smoosh it around their mouth so they'd lick it off.

she's home right now but if she doesn't improve then they want her in tomorrow with Ori for fluids and around the clock care.

thank god for insurance tbh.

its just the last of the stresses I need :( things haven't been plain sailing (although I didn't expect them to be). my mind is in 100 different places with so many things I need to do and sort out yet. one of them being unwell is the worst as I'm the one who takes care of them, knows what to do & so fourth. nobody else is able to syringe feed them as they don't know how to do it despite me showing many times, I guess theres an art for it. its just really the least I could do with right now. I mean, its sods law of course.

thank you guys x

thank you for your offer Loobers but I don't think so :( if it was me I wouldn't mind if somebody came to help but its just my parents currently taking care of them and I don't think they would appreciate that. in fact I feel like I know they wouldn't as they don't like strangers in their house which is understandable.

somebody suggested putting critical care on her paws so she licks it off. not ideal but might work. sometimes if they were being stubborn I'd smoosh it around their mouth so they'd lick it off.

she's home right now but if she doesn't improve then they want her in tomorrow with Ori for fluids and around the clock care.

thank god for insurance tbh.

its just the last of the stresses I need :( things haven't been plain sailing (although I didn't expect them to be). my mind is in 100 different places with so many things I need to do and sort out yet. one of them being unwell is the worst as I'm the one who takes care of them, knows what to do & so fourth. nobody else is able to syringe feed them as they don't know how to do it despite me showing many times, I guess theres an art for it. its just really the least I could do with right now. I mean, its sods law of course.

Maybe suggest that your parents ask for Luna to be admitted for the full nursing care she needs, if she is no better today. Even if the Vet does not suggest it this time.Then you wont have to worry about her not getting the syringe feeds and as Luna is insured the cost of Hospitalisation for however long it is needed should be covered. Having her admitted would take that bit of stress off you and I expect your Parents will feel better about the situation too.

Sending lots more vibes xx

Maybe suggest that your parents ask for Luna to be admitted for the full nursing care she needs, if she is no better today. Even if the Vet does not suggest it this time.Then you wont have to worry about her not getting the syringe feeds and as Luna is insured the cost of Hospitalisation for however long it is needed should be covered. Having her admitted would take that bit of stress off you and I expect your Parents will feel better about the situation too.

Sending lots more vibes xx

yes, they said if she isn't better today they'll be keeping her in until she improves. I'm not sure what is happening as I sent a text this morning but I haven't had one back. a bit worrying but I'm just presuming they're busy. they probably are. perhaps Luna is back to her usual self and she's causing utter mayhem. wouldn't surprise me. after sickness they always have to make up for lost time of being naughty :lol: they keep jumping on the windowsill, I gave up a long time ago on that war. it was lost to begin with haha.

just had a text, moms phone had no signal.

Luna’s at the vets and has been since 8am this morning. she has a sore spot on her left hand side (not quite sure what she means) and her tummy is very soft. she’s on a drip and if she shows no signs of improvement she’ll have to have x-rays.

poor little thing :(

at least the vets for larger bills do direct claims.

just had a half an hour phone call with mom, probably the longest in my life :lol:

Mom called at 2pm as requested and shes shown no signs of improvement. she's still on a drip and still being syringe fed. she refuses to eat for herself, and refuses to move. she's in among a load of warm hands at the moment. she thought she may have pooped but given they were large and golden, they were Orion's more than likely.

since she's had no improvement they're probably going to do bloods and x-rays now.

mom's to call back at 5pm to see how she is but the likely chance is that if she doesn't show significant improvement, she'll be kept in overnight at their sister vets, who deal with emergency and out of hours vets.

I said I could go home but the reality is is that I can't do much. yes I can syringe feed her but if she's cold, not moving, not eating, not pooping.. she's much better at the vets. for all I know I might turn my back for 10 minutes and I come back and find she's on deaths door, and by the time we get to any vets its far too late. they have knowledge, equipment and around the clock care for her. something I don't have.

if the prognosis is bad I will go home. but at the moment theres nothing I can really do.

she's shown a tiny bit of improvement but not very much at all. her blood pressure was even so low this morning that she couldn't be on a drip, so lots of syringes :( she's perked up a tiny bit but not much and isn't really too enthusiastic about life apparently. she's staying in overnight.

on a brighter note - Orion is doing fine ��he's apparently chewed through the drip 2 times, and dug Luna's warm hands away from her. he's also tried many of times to get some of the critical care and is begging for attention from everybody.

unfortunately though they can't trust him not to chew through the drip overnight, which could be fatal for her in her current position. so they're going to have to separate them for the night. they really don't want too, as do I, but it could be risky. they're side by side and in dog cages. they can remove the barriers between the bars so they can still smell one another, and Orion can see her.

workers are staying overnight to take care of the stay in patients.

but its just a case of how she is tomorrow. saturdays are only a half day and sundays they don't work at all. if she's not improved then mom will need to collect them and take them over to their sister location who is an OOH vets, on the other side of the thames. which is a loooong drive :( if she isn't stable enough to be taken they'll have to see if somebody else can come over to collect her, or be in the back of the car as my mom drives to drop them off.

no x-rays yet but bloods were done. they weren't really conclusive and where those normal for a bun in stasis with some slightly higher glucose - what exactly I don't know. but they said it wasn't dangerously high.

she's been syringe fed every two hours and will continue to be given her state at the moment.

poor little one :(

Back