• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

any hays or grasses to avoid feeding young rabbits?

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
I will be getting 2 does next week one 8 weeks and one at 9 weeks.
I see almost everyone offering different types of hays and grasses to there adult rabbits :)
I was just wondering if there are any hays or grasses I should avoid feeding young rabbits?
I currently have large quantitys of Timothy hay and alfalfa as well as pellets but wondering if I can offer other hays and grasses or just stick to these for now.

This is a helpful link

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp

As you will see any type of hay can be fed, although Alfalfa should only be fed in moderation.

Really the best types of hay for your rabbits are the ones that they eat lots of :) It should have a nice fresh smell and not be too dusty.

You will find that people will feed different types of hay, usually influenced by (a) what's available to them locally and (b) their rabbit's preferences.

Thanks for the link. I have previously read this page and many others and found it helpfull however I generally don’t find much relating to younger rabbits.
I just want to get it right from the start.

As Omi said, the best hay is the one they eat lots of.

Alfalfa is not the same as standard hays and is higher in protein. Find something they like and just encourage them to eat more of it. Some pellets are useful while they are growing, but you should be aiming for the bulk of the diet to be long, tough fibres such as grass or hay. Starting good hay eating habits early is a real bonus for good health later in life.

I get bales of hay from a local equestrian supplier at about £6 a bale. They vary quite a bit in terms of grass type and other plants that are harvested with the grass, but that's part of the novelty, and to me makes for a diet closer to what a rabbit was designed to eat. Introducing foraged greens is also good - the booklet by Twigs Way is really useful to keep handy.

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

For young rabbits in particular, it is important to introduce any new foodstuff gradually - hay is probably the only exception.

I read both links. And form what I'm seeing then there's nothing I should avoid just introduce it slowly if not had before then. I will be asking the person I'm getting them from what they been fed on so that I don't upset there stomachs with a change all of a sudden and give them time to settle in before I introduce any thing new.

Back