• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Buttons ud 14/12 she has gone to rainbow bridge

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
She has gone from being a chubby, slightly overweight bunny to being very very skinny. I am so terrified of what the vet is going to say. I haven’t been back to the vet since jasper died :( and I don’t want to lose another of my beloved bunnies. We are going to try and get her booked in ASAP.

Please tell me weight loss can be something simple? She seems to be eating normally and I have had no concerns up til now. Her poop is the same as always. We had swapped to 4+ pellets but I have now swapped back in case that was contributing.

Last edited:
She has gone from being a chubby, slightly overweight bunny to being very very skinny. I am so terrified of what the vet is going to say. I haven’t been back to the vet since jasper died :( and I don’t want to lose another of my beloved bunnies. We are going to try and get her booked in ASAP.

Please tell me weight loss can be something simple? She seems to be eating normally and I have had no concerns up til now. Her poop is the same as always. We had swapped to 4+ pellets but I have now swapped back in case that was contributing.
:(

How long has she been on the 4+ pellets? I think they might make senior pellets so they help with buns not becoming overweight... I could be wrong though. Do you know how much weight she's lost?

Vibes for her and you xxx

Sent via carrier pigeon

:(

How long has she been on the 4+ pellets? I think they might make senior pellets so they help with buns not becoming overweight... I could be wrong though. Do you know how much weight she's lost?

Vibes for her and you xxx

Sent via carrier pigeon

Since October. I’ve only noticed this weight loss the past week or so. I couldn’t guess but she was always over 3kg (should be 2.5kg mark) and to be honest I can feel her spine etc now. I feel awful that I haven’t noticed sooner, but she’s been eating and drinking whenever I’ve been in to check on them so wasn’t giving me any cause for concern. :( her partner is fine though, he is not any smaller or bigger than usual.

Do you know if she is definitely eating her usual amount of hay etc? Frosty lost a lot of weight in a short time before his first dental, once he’d had the dental he put the weight back on really quickly.

I hope it goes well at the vets xx

Do you know if she is definitely eating her usual amount of hay etc? Frosty lost a lot of weight in a short time before his first dental, once he’d had the dental he put the weight back on really quickly.

I hope it goes well at the vets xx

She was always nibbling when I popped in! However this morning she is obviously not happy about something so we are definitely trying to get her into the vet today. Has no other obvious signs of needing a dental (well not ones that Jasper displayed anyway). Will keep you updated ...

I hope you manage to get an appointment with a good vet today.

Weight loss can be anything from severe moulting/dental problems to other more serious issues, but it's impossible to say without a good vet exam.

Vibes for you xx

They have no appointments til the 27th and said I’d have to pay an emergency fee and just sit and wait until there’s a gap! So I’m doing that today as no improvement.

They have no appointments til the 27th and said I’d have to pay an emergency fee and just sit and wait until there’s a gap! So I’m doing that today as no improvement.

That seems ridiculous:shock: are there any other rabbit savvy vets you could take Buttons to? Sending more vibes xx

That seems ridiculous:shock: are there any other rabbit savvy vets you could take Buttons to? Sending more vibes xx
Yes we called again to see if they can squeeze her in and the receptionist was very rude! So we are taking her to another vet at 11.30, we were with them previously but I didn’t like them much ... but needs must,

Yes we called again to see if they can squeeze her in and the receptionist was very rude! So we are taking her to another vet at 11.30, we were with them previously but I didn’t like them much ... but needs must,

That’s awful. I hope you get on ok at the other vets. If you aren’t happy with the other vets maybe post on here to see if anyone can recommend any other in your area? Or there might be one on the rwaf list https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Oh gosh, sending her loads of vibes. I hope the x-rays indicate no cause for concern.

Adding my vibes. Not being able to see you until 27 when your animal is losing weight for no apparent reason is appalling. It sounds like my GP surgery:(

Am glad you have found a vet to see her and hope the mass is treatable xxx

Back