• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inside or outside

Alicia

Mama Doe
I’m (hopefully!) buying a ground floor flat soon. It already has two sheds in the garden, and I thought one of them could be the rabbits home. They’ve always been inside and I love the company but they’ve got quite naughty at jumping out of their pen and causing mayhem, but I love the ease of having them inside and as I’ll be living alone the company would be nice. They’d have more space outside. I don’t know

Outside. Better for the flat, better for you, more space for them. Make the shed cosy so you can sit with them.
Sounds like you're doing well, Alicia. x

I’m (hopefully!) buying a ground floor flat soon. It already has two sheds in the garden, and I thought one of them could be the rabbits home. They’ve always been inside and I love the company but they’ve got quite naughty at jumping out of their pen and causing mayhem, but I love the ease of having them inside and as I’ll be living alone the company would be nice. They’d have more space outside. I don’t know
Either :D

Although I'm faced with this too, I could potentially do either too... I'm actually thinking of giving all 4 the master bedroom [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] but we'll see :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

Either would be good. But personally having had indoor rabbits I wouldn’t want to have them outdoor, unless their personalities meant they would be happiest outdoors. I feel you can get to know them better and have a closer relationship with them when they are indoors. If they are jumping out of their pen maybe it would be easier to bunny proof a room so they can free range?

Or as HB said, if you choose outside, insulate the shed and have a place where you can sit with them in there :love:

I’m glad things are looking good for you :love:

Bunny proofing wouldn’t be a problem but they refuse to use a litter tray, which is quite frustrating! I’ll think about it some more

its really just comes down to your preference. there is no right or wrong or better answer imho. its just what you prefer and what is easiest for you.

for me - I'll never have an outdoor rabbit again. I often found myself unmotivated to take care of them, having to go out in all sorts of weather. cleaning, refilling bottles, hay, giving pellet and veggies. being soaked as its been pouring all day, or freezing as its snowing or that cold. feeling utterly soaked and being unable to feel my feet & fingers as I cleaned out his hutch and litter trays every other day. it became a chore. sitting outside to watch over him as he played due to the fact that I had seen foxes trying to get to him. I didn't really feel bonded to him, more he was his own "thing" outside. for me my pets are like my babies, so I want them inside & by me at all times. so I can easily access them and see them whenever, without having to put on 5 layers and still feel cold lol.

I was also constantly stressed as we have many foxes, and cats, who would have loved to get at the rabbit. I couldn't protect them as I do indoors, I just had to hope for the best that I had proofed the hutch enough. that and fireworks / thunderstorms, Snoopy would lose his marbles when those happened. so I couldn't be with him as quickly or at all say as he's in my room thumping to wake me up.

but for others, its totally different. others find them a nuisance indoors and under their feet too much. they prefer them outside so they can see the rabbits on their terms. they're not sharing a space with the rabbit. for other people it works much better & easier.

its really your preference. do you want them inside? do you find them frustrating inside? would you miss them outside?

as for jumping the top, get some veil curtains. I use that on the top of mine pegged down tightly, as long as its tight enough so there are no loose gaps, they won't be able to jump through. works a treat for me. they have escaped but only when I haven't pegged a corner down hard enough.

I would imagine you'll have plenty of time to decide anyway :D sometimes it can take a while when it comes to buying, and unless they're in an unheated room it would be too cold to put them outside now. so you'll at least have until spring/summer time to decide what you want to do.

I’ve got lots of time to think about it, but at the moment I think they’ll probably stay inside, but perhaps with different housing. I love the company of having them inside, still lots of time to think though

I have an outdoor group of 4 and an indoor pair.

The 4 all love being outside and are in heated and insulated shed.

I have a lot more interaction with the indoor pair. It is just so much easier to see them.

I always slightly stress about the safety of the outdoor rabbits ...

Back