• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Appalling Vet Exam

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
I can't believe I'm writing this. My local vet practice has been exemplary and we had fantastic rabbit-savvy vets there. Sadly they have left for pastures new.

Saw a locum vet who scruffed and tranced Yuki as it was the 'only way' to examine his underside.

Have complained, but still shaken up. Currently talking to the vet who I've grown fond of and left.

Oh no, that’s awful. Have you complained to the practice manager?

I burst into tears on L, the receptionist. I made the complaint to her, and she said she'll pass it on. I'll check on Friday.

We've made the decision to move the rabbits to another practice. We're following our vet now! A vet you trust is worth their weight in gold.

That's awful handing of a rabbit, I'm sorry :(

I hope that so called vet gets a harsh telling off from the manager! How some become vets is beyond me.

I burst into tears on L, the receptionist. I made the complaint to her, and she said she'll pass it on. I'll check on Friday.

We've made the decision to move the rabbits to another practice. We're following our vet now! A vet you trust is worth their weight in gold.

It’s good you complained, hopefully will stop it happening to someone else’s rabbit.

I think it’s a wise decision to follow the vet. I did the same thing when the rabbit savvy vet moved from one branch of the local vets to another branch. You should definitely be able to trust your vet.

Oh no I'm so sorry, what a horrible experience, hope you get an apology !

From the vet himself I suspect no chance. He came across as incredibly arrogant. :( He claimed to be very experienced and a breeder of rabbits too. And that scruffing/trancing is the only way to examine a rabbit. (I know that is nonsense; it's the first time I've ever seen a vet do that.)

I'm still very upset over it, and keep approaching the verge of tears. Yuki is such an outgoing lad, and was shaking like crazy to/from the vet. Poor boy is a little subdued (normal post-vaccs, I know) but I feel awful that somebody I exposed him to did that to him. In a way, it's like I let him down.

It’s good you complained, hopefully will stop it happening to someone else’s rabbit.

I think it’s a wise decision to follow the vet. I did the same thing when the rabbit savvy vet moved from one branch of the local vets to another branch. You should definitely be able to trust your vet.

I've been speaking to Z (the good vet) on Facebook about it. Apparently I'm not even the first complaint for him. :( The journey is a good 40mins but knowing they will never be exposed to such a vet is worth so much. It's better for all of us. (plus the vet care plan at the new practice actually includes RHD2 *and* is cheaper! Only downside is distance.)

I've been speaking to Z (the good vet) on Facebook about it. Apparently I'm not even the first complaint for him. :( The journey is a good 40mins but knowing they will never be exposed to such a vet is worth so much. It's better for all of us. (plus the vet care plan at the new practice actually includes RHD2 *and* is cheaper! Only downside is distance.)

vets are are like human doctors, they won't speak badly about each other, they tend to be up each others backsides unfortunately. One of my dogs has a skin issue and is on meds and I had one vet tell me to save money, to put him down :( I complained, she was told off severely but never got a apology from her.

vets are are like human doctors, they won't speak badly about each other, they tend to be up each others backsides unfortunately. One of my dogs has a skin issue and is on meds and I had one vet tell me to save money, to put him down :( I complained, she was told off severely but never got a apology from her.

I'm feeling better now I know we've made the decision to follow Z. She's a great vet and offered fantastic support for my Elphie during her last few months. I just wish I'd known that the locum was this awful as we'd never have booked in with him otherwise. I think Z is relieved he is not a colleague now!

How horrible! Athena had an abscess post-spay and I was told the same. Nearly 4 years on she's still going... Some vets are really good at wanting to learn and listen to the owners. Others are like this... individual.

I'm so pleased that you are feeling a bit better now, you do wonder why some of them become vets ! Good for you for changing, better a longer journey to a vet that you trust. Hope Yuki is feeling better now, bless him xxx

I'm so pleased that you are feeling a bit better now, you do wonder why some of them become vets ! Good for you for changing, better a longer journey to a vet that you trust. Hope Yuki is feeling better now, bless him xxx

He seems to be more-or-less back to his normal self, thankfully. :)

Glad Yuki is ok and unless rabbit is completely out of control and in danger of injuring itself no reason to trance..and I've not yet met a rabbit that needed it. I will put buns on backs in my arms to examine but not trance the difference is huge and dangerous.
Glad you are able to get to your trusted vet xx

Update:

Got a letter from the head VN today.

They've apologised profusely for the vet's actions. They have also credited the value of the vaccination to my account and offered Yuki a free healthcheck with an appropriate vet.

In addition, they have informed me that the vet in question will no longer be working at the practice after 21st of December.

I'm very grateful for the response. The most important part is the vet leaving. However, I'm also still likely to move the 'exotics' to see our trusted vet again. The practice still has good cat vets for Zara. :)

That's a really good response, so pleased that they have taken this seriously. Wonder what else the vet has done :shock: maybe others have complained too !

Update:

Got a letter from the head VN today.

They've apologised profusely for the vet's actions. They have also credited the value of the vaccination to my account and offered Yuki a free healthcheck with an appropriate vet.

In addition, they have informed me that the vet in question will no longer be working at the practice after 21st of December.

I'm very grateful for the response. The most important part is the vet leaving. However, I'm also still likely to move the 'exotics' to see our trusted vet again. The practice still has good cat vets for Zara. :)

Wow that's a really good result!

I won't write here what I thought of the vet you mentioned :censored:

Yuki is back to his fuss-demanding treat-begging, rest-of-group-annoying, dead-bunny-flopping ways. So after still being a little out of sorts but mostly ok yesterday, to his 100% normal self.

Thank goodness for no lasting damage. And thank goodness we were there for routine purposes, and not for an emergency matter.

Wow that's a really good result!

I won't write here what I thought of the vet you mentioned :censored:
"I have him nice and secure, he's comfortable and fine. How do you think he looks?"
"He looks scared to death!"
"Well then, we have a difference of opinion and I cannot examine him. Shall I just vaccinate him and you can leave?"

All this while he still held poor Yuki in trance!

OH was staring daggers at him. He said to me afterwards, 'I don't know as much as you about rabbits, so I didn't say anything, but even I know how wrong that is!'

Thank goodness he's leaving. I know I wasn't the first to complain (I don't know the manner of other complaints) but considering he has a week left, I may not end up being the last. I feel really sorry for the rest of the staff. They've had their best vets (from my perspective) leave and are scrambling for locums. And in the meantime, they have to work with him. Thankfully they still have a good cat vet, but she has very little interest in exotics. But the exotics vets leave because they aren't getting enough exposure to exotics. At times, my rabbits were pretty much every other patient. :(

Last edited:
Read this with a lump in my throat:( What a horrible experience for Yuki and you.I travel quite a distance to my vet.I think if you find one you like and trust they are worth their weight in gold.

Oh - gosh. Firstly, I am so pleased Yuki is back to himself and what a horrible traumatic experience.
Secondly, for what my input is worth, in my opinion, your heart leads you because you know what is best for your rabbit. And you know your vet so I would say that you go with you rold vet. YOu have to go with who you trust, regatrdless of (no pun intended) the carrots dangled by the new vet. It's all good and well them acknowledging the errors now, but don't forget they were the ones who employed the new vet. Their procedures lapsed and they should have been able to see what this vet was like prior to the appointment.
I'm sorry - it really does grind my cogs. And it's not the first time I've heard this. I am right with you.
Hugs to you and a nose rub to poor Yuki. x

Oh - gosh. Firstly, I am so pleased Yuki is back to himself and what a horrible traumatic experience.
Secondly, for what my input is worth, in my opinion, your heart leads you because you know what is best for your rabbit. And you know your vet so I would say that you go with you rold vet. YOu have to go with who you trust, regatrdless of (no pun intended) the carrots dangled by the new vet. It's all good and well them acknowledging the errors now, but don't forget they were the ones who employed the new vet. Their procedures lapsed and they should have been able to see what this vet was like prior to the appointment.
I'm sorry - it really does grind my cogs. And it's not the first time I've heard this. I am right with you.
Hugs to you and a nose rub to poor Yuki. x

We moved and followed the 2 vets we trust. Well, the cats are staying there (there are good cat vets there) but everyone else has moved. The peace of mind has been worth it. Especially so as Fabala has been ill recently. The vet who tranced Yuki is long gone (since before Christmas) but it was a case of 'once bitten, twice shy.'

I do still wonder about the psychological trauma on Yuki. Previously, he travelled just fine and was okay at the vets. Now he's much more nervous, and he's been there and back a load of times because of Fabala. Last time, Bala had a conscious eye duct flush and had to be taken out back for attention. She was lovely, friendly, cheerful and curious with the staff. He was a quivering wreck. It's nothing like how he used to be when travelling.

Last edited:
Back