• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing cables

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
I see this is an old thread but I'll post here first.
What do people use to rabbit proof their wires?
I am currently looking at the split tube cable tidys but this will get really expensive with well over 100m of wires to cover.
Originally I was going to keep the two new buns ( were bringing home the middle of next week) out of the living room and give them the large hallway with a tunnel leading from there hutch and a baby gate but I've changed my mind and would like them to have the space of the living room to but with so many wires I'm extreamilly nervous about this.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I see this is an old thread but I'll post here first.
What do people use to rabbit proof their wires?
I am currently looking at the split tube cable tidys but this will get really expensive with well over 100m of wires to cover.
Originally I was going to keep the two new buns ( were bringing home the middle of next week) out of the living room and give them the large hallway with a tunnel leading from there hutch and a baby gate but I've changed my mind and would like them to have the space of the living room to but with so many wires I'm extreamilly nervous about this.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I’ve moved your post to it’s own thread in housing, I think you’ll get more replies that way :thumb: my rabbit has access to a room that is rabbit proof, and he free ranges when we can supervise him. Some people use puppy pens to enclose their bunnies, or keep their bunnies from the cables. There’s a few ideas in the housing sticky here too http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...door-Housing&p=4899625&viewfull=1#post4899625

Thanks for the move and the sugestions.
Harlequin and Beauty will have their 6ft by 3ft hutch and the hallway about atotal 55 square foot. I just want them to have as much room as possible so the living room would be great to. The hall way has 1 cable to the million in the living room ( or so it seems ). A puppy pen seems not enough and would block off a portion of the living room to me and my daughter although I may consider as a last option.
I will have a look at the housing sticky shortly.

Lisa it warms my heart that you want to offer free roam to your rabbits. I've had bunnies running free in my home for many decades. I know on occassion OH has put plastic trunking over wires but mainly we organise our furniture & stuff so no wires are exposed. I've now been doing it so long its second nature. Remember to get in to really good habits by keeping any food items securely away (some bunnies can get to very high places, others like to stay with their paws on the ground) as well as house plants & phone chargers - nothing so tasty as a phone charger

Cant wait to hear how you get on

Thanks for the confidence boost. There are wires I can hide behind some furniture ( I think maybe replacing the tv unit would be a good idea ) but there are wires along every inch of the walls. I have to also find some thing to cover 8m of wires from one phone connection box to another. Any one have any ideas for that?

google plastic trunking - that should be good for a lot of it. Ours was just secured with little pin tacks

The stuff along the wall has the tacks with the little plastic bits keeping it in place but I thought they may chew it.

The stuff along the wall has the tacks with the little plastic bits keeping it in place but I thought they may chew it.

they might but prob not. Bunnies are very vatiable in their chewing habits. You'll probably have to adapt as you go to some extent as with the best will in the world its impossible to predict what the little rotters will get up to. My current three are ridiculosly good but I've experienced the other extreme too

I thought that might be the case. Just want to make sure I’m protecting them as much as possible and doing every thing I can to make them happy.
We have a hamster that is spoilt rotten with all the right things and a hand made ( painstakingly made by me as I’m no good with wood lol ) double layered cage who has just turned 4.

Is it just the cable clips keeping it in place or plastic trunking completely obscuring the cable? If it’s just cable clips then I think you will need protection for the cable. The plastic trunking might deter them for a bit but if they are determined I’m not sure if they could get through it.

It’s just the cable clips holding it in place. I think I’ll get the trunking just to be safe. I can always replace it down the line if it gets chewed on but at least it won’t be the wires.

It’s just the cable clips holding it in place. I think I’ll get the trunking just to be safe. I can always replace it down the line if it gets chewed on but at least it won’t be the wires.

Good idea :thumb:

Iv decided to put a board behind the tv for now with holes in it for the wires and all eletrcals right up against it so they can’t get to it then I will nail it in place.

google plastic trunking - that should be good for a lot of it. Ours was just secured with little pin tacks

yes :)

the self adhesive is best. it can be incredibly neat.

the best installation method is cut to size, peel a small amount of backing off, put in position with the small bit of backing strip exposed & pull the rest of the backing off while it is in position.

corners can be done by either mitre cutting the trunking or by using corner pieces.

the trunking is in various sizes:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Trunking_Pvc_Index/index.html

the adhesive is very strong. if you don't want a permanant fix, you can use screws.

Ooooooppppppps didn't get any corner bits I thought maybe I could slide down th cover part to go over the bit running in the other direction as its going up around a doorway but not any where else.
Can you tell I'm blond lol
Ooo it just cured to me I could cut a small amount of the end off on one side to allow the space for the cable to go through.
Will give the method you said mikes a go. Am generally awful at diy any thing but I'm willing to try.

Back