• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gabriel. 11th December 2008 - 23rd October 2017

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe

It has taken a long time to get these words down on paper, they have been in my head, and in my heart but too painful to write. But on what would have been my precious Gabriel’s 11th Rescue Day maybe now I can.

On this date eleven years ago Jill and Donna from Honeybunny’s Rescue managed to save eight rabbits and ten guinea pigs at an auction, an incredibly distressing experience for Jill and Donna. So little value was placed on these animals lives that they were bought for less than £23. Gabriel was the last to be bought. He was also the last to be re-homed. But in June 2008 Jill bonded Gabe with little Nia Noo who I had adopted from another rescue. I met Jill at a service station to bring them home and my first words on seeing Gabe were on what beautiful eyes he had. Brimming with intelligence and fringed with perfect eyelashes. Jill hoped that Noo would show Gabe how to enjoy life, but Jill was so very wrong.

Gabe didn’t need showing – it was there waiting to burst out of him. Oh, how he binkied and ran, and ran and binkied. He loved to play chase Noo and everything stopped whilst we stood and watched. There was no malice, just play, he would chase her round and head her off as she ducked in and out of tunnels and boxes. Noo would join in the game with a few binkies too.

And then his incredible intelligence started to show through and his desire not to be limited by barriers. His escape bids were the stuff of legends but there was no desire to truly be free. It was all part of the game, chasing him round and round the perimeter of our house, him binkying as he ran away. He removed a trap door from his hutch, lifted up run panels and jumped over and onto barriers. For two winters he lived indoors in the conservatory, but even twenty feet of space was not enough, he just wanted to explore. Hugger mugger my husband would call him. After thinking I had shut him in, I went upstairs to find that he had beaten me there after dashing through my legs unnoticed. His love of life and exuberance was a joy to see.

Then sadly we lost little Noo in May of 2012 and it took four attempts to find Gabe a new partner as he was a bit of a hump monster when bonding. Eventually in the September along came Spring who must have seen something she liked in Gabe to put up with his behaviour. Gabe introduced her to his chasing games and in return she introduced him to digging the lawn up. He let her do the hard work, starting off, then he would enthusiastically take over. It was not long before the lawn boasted several excavations. It was during his time with Spring that in one of his escape sessions he managed to see off a young wildie that had taken up residence in the garden, maybe looking for a warren to join.

I thought Spring and Gabe would have more time together but in July of 2015, the most dreadful year of my life, we tragically lost Spring. Gabe went to temporarily live with my daughter in the hope that we could bond him with her lone bunny Hollie. But Hollie rejected him, and Gabriel was not happy living indoors alongside her so he came back home partnerless. In the October when things had improved for me, North West Rabbit Rescue kindly bonded him with Mabel. Mabel gave him his spark back, and even though I had always thought he had no great affection for his partners – the grooming was always one way – he obviously needed a ladybun in his life. Mabel however refused to play chase with him, initially running away and then sitting and refusing to move. Gabe would run backwards and forwards to encourage her, to no avail.

During 2017 Gabe who would have been ten at some point during the year was starting to slow down with arthritis but would happily take metacam from a syringe and was still enjoying life. I was already thinking about writing his Happy 10th Rescue Day in the December but it wasn’t to be. On 23rd October I let him go, laying in my arms. I was heartbroken. I adored him, I am sure he never saw me than much more than a provider of his creature comforts, but I adored him. He was the most charismatic, intelligent little rabbit who made me smile, brightened my day and of whom I have so many wonderful memories.

I miss him every single day – I think I thought he would always be around. I truly hope to meet him again.

:cry: I’m so sorry you lost him :cry: he had a lovely life with you, what a lovely tribute to him :love: binky free Gabriel xx

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I'm sorry he's gone. He sounds like such a wonderful rabbit. I'm sure you'll meet again some day. Binky free Gabriel xx

That is one of the most beautiful tributes I ever read. I'm so sorry he left. Sleep tight gorgeous Gabriel xxx

It has taken a long time to get these words down on paper, they have been in my head, and in my heart but too painful to write. But on what would have been my precious Gabriel’s 11th Rescue Day maybe now I can.

On this date eleven years ago Jill and Donna from Honeybunny’s Rescue managed to save eight rabbits and ten guinea pigs at an auction, an incredibly distressing experience for Jill and Donna. So little value was placed on these animals lives that they were bought for less than £23. Gabriel was the last to be bought. He was also the last to be re-homed. But in June 2008 Jill bonded Gabe with little Nia Noo who I had adopted from another rescue. I met Jill at a service station to bring them home and my first words on seeing Gabe were on what beautiful eyes he had. Brimming with intelligence and fringed with perfect eyelashes. Jill hoped that Noo would show Gabe how to enjoy life, but Jill was so very wrong.

Gabe didn’t need showing – it was there waiting to burst out of him. Oh, how he binkied and ran, and ran and binkied. He loved to play chase Noo and everything stopped whilst we stood and watched. There was no malice, just play, he would chase her round and head her off as she ducked in and out of tunnels and boxes. Noo would join in the game with a few binkies too.

And then his incredible intelligence started to show through and his desire not to be limited by barriers. His escape bids were the stuff of legends but there was no desire to truly be free. It was all part of the game, chasing him round and round the perimeter of our house, him binkying as he ran away. He removed a trap door from his hutch, lifted up run panels and jumped over and onto barriers. For two winters he lived indoors in the conservatory, but even twenty feet of space was not enough, he just wanted to explore. Hugger mugger my husband would call him. After thinking I had shut him in, I went upstairs to find that he had beaten me there after dashing through my legs unnoticed. His love of life and exuberance was a joy to see.

Then sadly we lost little Noo in May of 2012 and it took four attempts to find Gabe a new partner as he was a bit of a hump monster when bonding. Eventually in the September along came Spring who must have seen something she liked in Gabe to put up with his behaviour. Gabe introduced her to his chasing games and in return she introduced him to digging the lawn up. He let her do the hard work, starting off, then he would enthusiastically take over. It was not long before the lawn boasted several excavations. It was during his time with Spring that in one of his escape sessions he managed to see off a young wildie that had taken up residence in the garden, maybe looking for a warren to join.

I thought Spring and Gabe would have more time together but in July of 2015, the most dreadful year of my life, we tragically lost Spring. Gabe went to temporarily live with my daughter in the hope that we could bond him with her lone bunny Hollie. But Hollie rejected him, and Gabriel was not happy living indoors alongside her so he came back home partnerless. In the October when things had improved for me, North West Rabbit Rescue kindly bonded him with Mabel. Mabel gave him his spark back, and even though I had always thought he had no great affection for his partners – the grooming was always one way – he obviously needed a ladybun in his life. Mabel however refused to play chase with him, initially running away and then sitting and refusing to move. Gabe would run backwards and forwards to encourage her, to no avail.

During 2017 Gabe who would have been ten at some point during the year was starting to slow down with arthritis but would happily take metacam from a syringe and was still enjoying life. I was already thinking about writing his Happy 10th Rescue Day in the December but it wasn’t to be. On 23rd October I let him go, laying in my arms. I was heartbroken. I adored him, I am sure he never saw me than much more than a provider of his creature comforts, but I adored him. He was the most charismatic, intelligent little rabbit who made me smile, brightened my day and of whom I have so many wonderful memories.

I miss him every single day – I think I thought he would always be around. I truly hope to meet him again.

I remember Gabriel so well. He was a wonderful Rabbit. The memories he left you will remain with you forever :love:

I remember Gabriel well and I am so sorry to hear your sad news.

Run free handsome lad, I am sure you'll be meeting with Vanessa in due time :love:

What a beautiful tribute for a very special rabbit :love:
I remember the day myself and Donna rescued him along with the others. I will add we don't recommend buying from auctions as you really don't know what you're getting for example we bought 4 "sows" who all turned out to have tesicles and one doe with awful dental disease, but we had space and Donna had warned me about what happened to the unsold animals and indeed we saw 2 greyhound trainer men there :(
The handling of the rabbits was awful and one chocolate dutch in particular still stays with me as we couldn't save him
BUT the ones we did save were very lucky and Gabriel among the luckiest.
What a wonderful life you gave him when his antics may have got too much for others you saw it as character.
An extremely handsome boy who I'm sure will always have a little piece of your heart
Take care Vanessa, I'm sure Gabriel is up there with his namesake driving them all mad with his escapades! xxx

Last edited:
I am sure he is Jill. I have loved all the rabbits dearly but Gabe, with his amazing character was and still is the most beloved. Thank goodness you were there on that awful day to rescue him and the others. My life would have been a lot less colourful without Gabe in it.

Back