• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver's Teeth - U/Date

Fiver has to have his Incisors out so a couple of questions. Why did one Vet say they would wait until he was a year old before taking them out but another Vet wants to take them out now and does it make any difference? The Vet I saw today thought he would only need his lower teeth out but surely the upper ones would keep on growing? He was neutered at the end of October and this has only happened since then.

Some info' on the procedure here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00..._TechniquesRabbit/IncisorExtractionRabbit.htm

Poor boy!

You need a confident and expert vet, as you don't want any tooth root left behind or the front teeth will simply grow back.
And in my experience even worse than before, if that's possible!

I have had a couple of rabbits which had to have their Incisors out but not as young as Fiver. They both did well so the Vets have experience. Fiver came through his neuter excellently but he is only 1.4 kg. He must be unlucky to have teeth problems.

I have had a couple of rabbits which had to have their Incisors out but not as young as Fiver. They both did well so the Vets have experience. Fiver came through his neuter excellently but he is only 1.4 kg. He must be unlucky to have teeth problems.

Is he a brachycephalic ('flat faced') breed type eg a Nethie or a Mini Lop ? As he's so young his Incisor malocclusion is probably genetic in origin

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CongenIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

One of my rabbits was tiny (less weight than Fiver) and had to have teeth removed before 9 months old. Possibly bad genes there?
Yes he's unlucky, but taking the incisors out should help and hopefully the back teeth will be OK and remain in good condition :)

One of my rabbits was tiny (less weight than Fiver) and had to have teeth removed before 9 months old. Possibly bad genes there?
Yes he's unlucky, but taking the incisors out should help and hopefully the back teeth will be OK and remain in good condition :)

Yes fingers crossed he won't have to have regular dentals. He's booked in for Wednesday. Yes perhaps bad genes or in-breeding.

Yes he's a Nethie bred on the Island, not by me. He's booked in on Wednesday. Thanks for the link. Having his Incisors out does not guarantee his molars will stay good. Fingers crossed they do.

No it doesn't. By the very fact that the front teeth are wonky there's most likely going to be *some* issues with the molars.

With lots of hay, hopefully you can keep molar problems at bay for as long as possible

No it doesn't. By the very fact that the front teeth are wonky there's most likely going to be *some* issues with the molars.

With lots of hay, hopefully you can keep molar problems at bay for as long as possible

Yes, hopefully! xx

Sending lots of vibes for Fiver’s OP, I hope his molars don’t cause any issues, fingers crossed xx

We're home! The operation went well and he's eaten some pellets since arriving back. He is now sleeping here in the Lounge with his friend. The Vets think he might need 2 nights indoors. He has a 2-day check on Friday.

We're home! The operation went well and he's eaten some pellets since arriving back. He is now sleeping here in the Lounge with his friend. The Vets think he might need 2 nights indoors. He has a 2-day check on Friday.

Wonderful news! :D

Brilliant news :D What a brave lad and he must feel OK to have eaten pellets :) I hope he continues to recover well and enjoys his holiday inside with you.

Fiver is much brighter this morning. I've chopped some hay up into small pieces in case he can't manage it normally. He had some greens last night which I cut up small so at least he hasn't been put off eating!

Fiver is much brighter this morning. I've chopped some hay up into small pieces in case he can't manage it normally. He had some greens last night which I cut up small so at least he hasn't been put off eating!

Oh bless him, brave bunny :love: So pleased to hear that's he's eating ok, long may that continue !

Wonderful news :love: I'm so pleased, and think that your vet will also be tomorrow when you go for his check-up. Isn't it amazing that some rabbits, I guess like some people, just take these events in their stride.

I saw him eating hay earlier on from his normal hay, not the cut-up pieces, so I am very pleased. The Vets said to keep him indoors for 2 nights so I am now worrying about putting them back out tomorrow. They can't stay indoors really as my friend's rabbits are coming for a week soon.

Back