• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver's Teeth - U/Date

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I am a bit worried about Fiver. He is eating pellets and hay but he struggles with veg. Do you think it might be malocclusion? We have an appointment tomorrow morning. He is only just over 6 months old.

Last edited:
Does he seem to want to eat his veg or is he entirely disinterested? I hope he's ok Tonibun & the vet app goes well

He tries to eat them but doesn't seem able to grip them like to bite through them. He used to love his veg so this has just started.

It seems odd that it's the veg that he's struggling with, isn't it. I hope that the vet examination goes well and that Fiver's mouth is OK.

He is going in tomorrow to have his Incisors burred then we will see how he goes. They will try to do it conscious as he is so good at the Vets.

He is going in tomorrow to have his Incisors burred then we will see how he goes. They will try to do it conscious as he is so good at the Vets.

Good luck! You have a good vet to do conscious dentals. Would he do the molars consciously too?

Fiver had his Incisors burred yesterday and a few of the Molars needed a little bit of attention. I am surprised as he has always eaten plenty of hay. I asked the Vet if his jaw was out of line but she said No and couldn't understand why this has happened. They want him on 99% roughage and they want to see him in 2 weeks. Poor boy! This is a lot to expect and I think he'll hate me! If his Incisor have grown abnormally in 2 weeks they want to take them out, Now the first Vet I saw said thy wouldn't take them out before him being a year old. tbc

Fiver has to have his Incisors out so a couple of questions. Why did one Vet say they would wait until he was a year old before taking them out but another Vet wants to take them out now and does it make any difference? The Vet I saw today thought he would only need his lower teeth out but surely the upper ones would keep on growing? He was neutered at the end of October and this has only happened since then.

Aww poor lad :( I've no experience of this, but know other forum members have, so hopefully you'll get some repsonses to your valid questions.

Sending him lots of vibes.

Fiver has to have his Incisors out so a couple of questions. Why did one Vet say they would wait until he was a year old before taking them out but another Vet wants to take them out now and does it make any difference? The Vet I saw today thought he would only need his lower teeth out but surely the upper ones would keep on growing? He was neutered at the end of October and this has only happened since then.

He would have to be a good weight and in good health to undergo any procedure, and this is the only reason I can think of for a vet waiting at all to take the incisors out. If he's been neutered then he's not too young. I should think in the New Year he could have them out, as it's been long enough since his last operation.

The vet will need to take both top and bottom incisors out, for sure :D

He would have to be a good weight and in good health to undergo any procedure, and this is the only reason I can think of for a vet waiting at all to take the incisors out. If he's been neutered then he's not too young. I should think in the New Year he could have them out, as it's been long enough since his last operation.

The vet will need to take both top and bottom incisors out, for sure :D

Thanks MM. He seems to have stopped eating his hay and he is begging for food all the time so the sooner the better.

Thanks MM. He seems to have stopped eating his hay and he is begging for food all the time so the sooner the better.

Poor boy!

You need a confident and expert vet, as you don't want any tooth root left behind or the front teeth will simply grow back.
And in my experience even worse than before, if that's possible!

Back