• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks and disability

willowflower27

Mama Doe
Things are not right in the world of missy Priscilla [emoji24] she is bright and eating and seems happy enough on the surface but I noticed she was becoming more and more reluctant to move and had the beginnings of a pretty sore hock on her one remaining leg, so I took her to the vet today and we took an x-ray of her spine and pelvis it's not fantastic news she has hip dysplasia and a bit of spinal arthritis all pointing to my lady being more advanced in years than we thought, the vet offered me the option of euthanasia or we continue with tlc and management I've gone for option 2 as she isn't ready to give up and neither am I but I now feel a little out of my depth, she has a make shift bandage where I have used some of her fur (she's moulting) and stuck it to her hock with vetwrap this was done under GA she won't let me near her conscious dies anyone know of any socks for rabbits?
She is obviously on antibiotics, painrelief and I'm going to spoil her for however long she wants to stay with me but any vibes, thoughts, opinions anything hit me with them I feel more than a little sad right now she has had such an impact on my life already and I fear for the days and weeks ahead her condition was always going to be about careful management I just thought we were doing so well, sorry for the rambling post I'm just lost I don't know what to do for the best my gut tells me it's just not her time but then another part questions if I'm making her suffer just for me

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Things are not right in the world of missy Priscilla [emoji24] she is bright and eating and seems happy enough on the surface but I noticed she was becoming more and more reluctant to move and had the beginnings of a pretty sore hock on her one remaining leg, so I took her to the vet today and we took an x-ray of her spine and pelvis it's not fantastic news she has hip dysplasia and a bit of spinal arthritis all pointing to my lady being more advanced in years than we thought, the vet offered me the option of euthanasia or we continue with tlc and management I've gone for option 2 as she isn't ready to give up and neither am I but I now feel a little out of my depth, she has a make shift bandage where I have used some of her fur (she's moulting) and stuck it to her hock with vetwrap this was done under GA she won't let me near her conscious dies anyone know of any socks for rabbits?
She is obviously on antibiotics, painrelief and I'm going to spoil her for however long she wants to stay with me but any vibes, thoughts, opinions anything hit me with them I feel more than a little sad right now she has had such an impact on my life already and I fear for the days and weeks ahead her condition was always going to be about careful management I just thought we were doing so well, sorry for the rambling post I'm just lost I don't know what to do for the best my gut tells me it's just not her time but then another part questions if I'm making her suffer just for me

Oh gosh, what a terrible shame that her other problems were not picked up on previous X-rays prior to her amputation :cry: You must be devastated :cry:

I would think that devising an anti-pressure dressing for her sore hock may be worth a try. Rather like a large corn plaster. Then cover the 'corn plaster' with a conventional dressing.

An example here :

LJ0EScc.jpg

k0WB9Fb.jpg

So the actual sore area is not in contact with the ground at any time due to the 'corn plaster'

zjqJCIk.jpg

As you probably know, great care must be taken with dressings as if they are too tight they can reduce blood flow to the limb, this will reduce healing of open wounds amongst other problems. The dressings usually need changing daily, at least the outer part if not the 'corn plaster'. It is important that the open wounds are monitored daily and kept as clean and dry as possible. But I think I am in danger of teaching granny how to suck eggs now so I'll shut up.............:oops:

What analgesia is she on ? I would imagine that she'll need more than just Metacam. Tramadol may be an option, if your Vet would agree. I have found the combination of Metacam and Tramadol to be very beneficial for severe pain in Rabbits with back/hip problems.

I have used a variety of topical treatments on sore hocks (under Veterinary supervision, not just a DIY job!!). These include Flamazine, a POM

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/skin-hair/a6737/flamazine-cream-silver-sulfadiazine/

Derbymed SCP Spray, which I buy from here : https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/

Savlon Advanced Healing Gel ( but only for very minor case of pododermatitis)

https://www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk/ind...3_1544506482_63e056cc40e30f9d879902ca128dac49

There is some additional info about sore hocks here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...is_rabbits.htm

http://www.mayowvets.co.uk/pet-facts...4_295077.shtml

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_di...l/Pod/Podo.htm

http://www.cunivetservice.com/docs/SoreHocks.2013.pdf

Finally, acupuncture and cold laser therapy may be an additional complimentary treatment, if Priscilla could tolerate them

https://barton-vets.co.uk/referrals/acupuncture/

https://www.manorvets.co.uk/k-laser-therapy/

My Vet offers both of these treatments and she rates them both highly. But not all Vets are open to the idea, particularly regarding acupuncture.

Finally, not sure if you have seen this website ?

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/

Sending millions of vibes for Priscilla :love:

Thank you Jane for replying she actually has her first acupuncture session on Thursday I had already arranged for that to help with her mobility post op so here's hoping she tolerates it, she is currently only on meloxicam and seems relatively happy but I'll definitely look in to tramadol for her, I'm going to keep going for as long as she's happy

I don’t have any experience of this but I’m sorry that she is struggling, I’m sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

So sorry to hear this.

My vet offers laser therapy, which she rates very highly:

https://www.twickenhamvets.co.uk/about-us/facilities

She unfortunately no longer offers acupuncture, as that was very useful too and I would recommend it (I have since found another reputable vet who does offer this service).

You might find the information here useful - I know I have:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com

So sorry to hear this.

My vet offers laser therapy, which she rates very highly:

https://www.twickenhamvets.co.uk/about-us/facilities

She unfortunately no longer offers acupuncture,
as that was very useful too and I would recommend it (I have since found another reputable vet who does offer this service).

You might find the information here useful - I know I have:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com

Twickenham Veterinary Surgery does still offer Acupuncture. It needs to be discussed on an individual client basis with the Clinical Director at the Practice , Christabel Moseley :)

Twickenham Veterinary Surgery does still offer Acupuncture. It needs to be discussed on an individual client basis with the Clinical Director at the Practice , Christabel Moseley :)

I was told by one of the Moderators that Twickenham Vets no longer offer this service :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told this was the case by the surgery, so was surprised :D
Pretty sure that was all my fault! [emoji38] I assumed they didn't offer as they took off website!

Good to know they offer it still though :D just don't have a link for it, so thanks both.

(good for me too tbh, as it's not that far for me to get to if I needed, and I don't know anywhere else that does it)

Sent via carrier pigeon

Last edited:
Willowflower27, sincere apologies for hijacking your thread, which is extremely rude. Priscilla is who is important here and in your care she will get the best of everything x

Willowflower27, sincere apologies for hijacking your thread, which is extremely rude. Priscilla is who is important here and in your care she will get the best of everything x

Yes, I hope you find some info of use to Priscilla here Willowflower27 :)

Pretty sure that was all my fault! [emoji38] I assumed they didn't offer as they took off website!

Good to know they offer it still though :D just don't have a link for it, so thanks both.

(good for me too tbh, as it's not that far for me to get to if I needed, and I don't know anywhere else that does it)

Sent via carrier pigeon

No it wasn't you Grace!

I was told the service was no longer offered by Twickenham Vets, which I found rather odd given what I had been told by the surgery :D

BTW, I know of other places closer to you that offer acupuncture - Twickenham I guess would be quite a hike??

No it wasn't you Grace!

I was told the service was no longer offered by Twickenham Vets, which I found rather odd given what I had been told by the surgery :D

BTW, I know of other places closer to you that offer acupuncture - Twickenham I guess would be quite a hike??

Ntb m25 anticlockwise wouldn't take thaaaat long, I mean it's not on my doorstep obviously. But would be good to know of places closer to me if you know some! Just incase :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

It's ok Jane
I have a vet in practice who does acupuncture regularly Priscilla will be the first rabbit she has done but the vet in question is confident and I'm happy to try in all honesty Priscilla might not tolerate acupuncture all that well she is incredibly fiesty and inquisitive and getting her to stay in one place even with her mobility issues is a challenge first session is scheduled for next Tuesday
My little lady is as usual not bothered in the least by the stress she is causing me I've honestly never met a rabbit like her

Oh I'm so sorry to hear of Priscillas xray results. You've been through so much together already too. I have a huge soft spot for her. Really hoping the acupuncture & other treatment allows you lots more happy times together xx

It's ok Jane
I have a vet in practice who does acupuncture regularly Priscilla will be the first rabbit she has done but the vet in question is confident and I'm happy to try in all honesty Priscilla might not tolerate acupuncture all that well she is incredibly fiesty and inquisitive and getting her to stay in one place even with her mobility issues is a challenge first session is scheduled for next Tuesday
My little lady is as usual not bothered in the least by the stress she is causing me I've honestly never met a rabbit like her

She certainly sounds to have a very determined character !! She is obviously loving life despite all her problems. To her they are probably not 'problems' at all. It's poor you that has to do all the worrying.
Hope the Acupuncture goes well and the Vet lives to tell the tale ! :lol:

It's ok Jane

I really hope it'll help her. She is such an amazing bun, she reminds me of one of mine with everything you say to describe her behaviour [emoji7] honestly buns have no idea sometimes, and we end up doing all the worrying [emoji38]

Sent via carrier pigeon

Back