• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet insurance

SandyBunny

Young Bun
I got Sandy insured by pet plan 2 weeks ago which covers me up to £2,000 of vet fees. My dogs are insured which covers death. I saw this isn't included for rabbits.

So I called and asked why, pet plan told me "we don't cover death and cost of the animal because rabbits die so often at young ages"

Is this true are a load of rubbish?

Sadly rabbits are very fragile and can hide illnesses and pain very well. So maybe that’s why petplan don’t cover purchase or adoption costs. Also rabbit adoption costs are fairly low.

So long as we look after them correctly, feed them a good diet and give them plenty of space, get vet treatment quickly with a rabbit savvy vet when needed, we are doing everything we can to give them a good long life.

I got Sandy insured by pet plan 2 weeks ago which covers me up to £2,000 of vet fees. My dogs are insured which covers death. I saw this isn't included for rabbits.

So I called and asked why, pet plan told me "we don't cover death and cost of the animal because rabbits die so often at young ages"

Is this true are a load of rubbish?
I guess it's what's you believe.

I personally think this is the case, especially from bunnies purchased from pets at home (not saying this is wrong or people shouldn't, I have once) I just feel like there's something fundamentally wrong with their rabbit stock.

When my dog died they refunded the cost we paid for her, it was a lot of money though, not just like £40 for a bun, two of mine were £15 each [emoji38]

As Zoobec says also, rabbits are fragile hide illness, and majority of buns that go to a home are probably purchased as a kids pet, and may not be receiving the proper care. So they probably feel like they'd be forever funding people to get rabbits if they refunded the cost everytime they died..

This probably sounds very bleak, it's just how I feel, doesn't mean I'm right :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

My parent's dog insurance no longer pays out for death, unfortunately the dogs are of the age where changing providers isn't really an option but I guess it can work both ways.

I don't know if I'd want to be refunded for the purchase price of our girls when they finally peg it. Providing they cover the cost of any treatment they had to try and stop that happening, then the initial cost of buying them doesn't really come into it. I can't remember how much they cost anyway, I think it was only about £20 each and to be blunt, they've cost so much over the years through illness (Thumper anyway) - literally thousands - which PetPlan have always paid out for, 20 quid is pennies by comparison so barely worth the claim. And it's not like we're going to rush out and replace them once they're gone anyway because once they're gone that's it, no more pets.

My monthly premium for my bun took a big jump up for this next coming year, wasn't just taxes but payment for each month shot up, I questioned it as he is only 3, just to be told I can cancel of I like
And that it was based on the poses of threat he causes insurance, my by causes no more of threat to insurance claiming as previous year, yet he costs more a month this time round then my old Mabel did when she was almost 6 ,
So it wasn't case of vet fees increasing but the risk he puts on insurance, all I can think of is breed, as he himself is same as previous yeara

My monthly premium for my bun took a big jump up for this next coming year, wasn't just taxes but payment for each month shot up, I questioned it as he is only 3, just to be told I can cancel of I like
And that it was based on the poses of threat he causes insurance, my by causes no more of threat to insurance claiming as previous year, yet he costs more a month this time round then my old Mabel did when she was almost 6 ,
So it wasn't case of vet fees increasing but the risk he puts on insurance, all I can think of is breed, as he himself is same as previous yeara

I have that issue with my staffy dog because of the breeds reputation. He was with Tesco and I argued with them its nothing to do with the breed but the owners and they were taking advantage of the issue. His insurance started off at £35 and shot up to £75 a month.

Well, I can at least say that I have Pandora (8 years 3 months) insured with PetPlan and although her premiums have obviously been going up for the last couple of years they have paid out promptly and without issue. They've also been quick and easy to communicate with on Facebook. Bailey B is too old to be insured with PetPlan but I'm going to book him into Agria during their Age Amnesty, as soon as I can figure out how to word his medical condition without getting him a long list of exclusions.

I have that issue with my staffy dog because of the breeds reputation. He was with Tesco and I argued with them its nothing to do with the breed but the owners and they were taking advantage of the issue. His insurance started off at £35 and shot up to £75 a month.

Yes I tried the same but to no avail either, I dread to think what the cost is going to be for 5 year plus rabbits of certain breeds now

Back