• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mega Vibes for Nancy tomorrow please Update 18.12.18 p53*

Den

Mama Doe
First, so sorry for asking for thoughts etc when I've not been around for anyone for months. I really can't wait for this year to end. It's been awful - but that is another thread for general chat one day.

This is for my poor big bunny, not me.

Please spare a thought for Nancy tomorrow. An abscess has appeared on her face/jaw. She's been to the vet this morning and is going in for a dental tomorrow and to have the abscess drained. She'll also have a skull x-ray to check her roots as the abscess is on the side her tear ducts get blocked.

Although she's not stopped eating she's had pain relief injection and antibiotic injection at the vets earlier so we didn't have to worry about giving them to her via syringe.

Nancy's also an EC bunny so I'm really worried about her having a GA.😥 She was sedated for her first ever year duct flush but that was 3 years ago before the EC. She is now 6 yrs old.

I've no experience of dentals so any spare vibes or advice for afterwards will be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Sending loads of vibes for gorgeous Nancy for tomorrow. I hope that her op goes to plan and that she's soon home again recovering with you and Will.

I’m sorry things have been so hard :cry: sending lots of vibes for Nancy tomorrow xx

Sending loads of vibes for Nancy's dental. I've always found offering favourite herbs, or a little bit of grated carrot and apple tends to get Treacle nibbling. Hope all goes well, I know how worrying it can be xxxx

Poor Nancy :cry:

I expect the Vet will prescribe analgesic cover and antibiotics after the procedure. Syringe feeding may be needed in the initial recovery period. I apologise for not having time to type out a lengthy response right now, but you know my PM box is always open to you and these links may be useful to take a look at :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_..._dentistry.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...sesRabbits.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_...abs_dental.htm

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc...E/615.pdf?LA=1

https://avianandexoticvets.com/manag...es-in-rabbits/

http://www.medirabbit.com/Radiograph...ical_lines.pdf

Sending millions of vibes xx

I really hope that Nancy is okay!

I don't know if this is helpful, but my bunny Plumpkin had an abscess drained very recently and it was the 4th or 5th dental she's bad since March when I rescued her. I gave her blended greens and Fibafirst sticks and she found them really easy to eat. She actually recovered relatively quickly and her bun friends helped by licking her wound clean.

I know how scary it is and you might be a bit disturbed by how sore/gorey it looks on the outside. Plumpkin's fur has all grown back now and she's doing really well. I wish Nancy all the luck in the world xxx

Update

Nancy didn't have her procedure until this afternoon as an emergency came in.

Vet was initially concerned by the location of the abscess - upper jaw and to the back. However he was more optimistic once she was under GA and could have a proper look.

My poor girl! One of her teeth was bad and so loose it couldn't be burred so out it came, together with the one next to it. She also had a piece of grass/hay stuck between them which vet thought may have caused the abscess/infection.

The only positive (apparently) was the fact the teeth and grass in question were not as far back as initially thought on conscious examination and vet was able to drain the abscess on remove the whole capsule.

We brought her home around 7.30. She's still quite lethargic- she was under for over an hour which I gather is quite long for rabbits. She has had a small amount of critical care and has eaten some carrot tops but she hadn't wanted anything else.

I'm hoping she'll have more of an appetite tomorrow once the GA has worn off. Currently we have emeprid, metacam and baytril. The capsule has been sent to the lab to make sure Baytril is the correct antibiotic. We just have to hope now that all this stress doesn't lead to an EC flare up.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words and thoughts - Beapig- thanks for the warning about her wound site.

Update

Nancy didn't have her procedure until this afternoon as an emergency came in.

Vet was initially concerned by the location of the abscess - upper jaw and to the back. However he was more optimistic once she was under GA and could have a proper look.

My poor girl! One of her teeth was bad and so loose it couldn't be burred so out it came, together with the one next to it. She also had a piece of grass/hay stuck between them which vet thought may have caused the abscess/infection.

The only positive (apparently) was the fact the teeth and grass in question were not as far back as initially thought on conscious examination and vet was able to drain the abscess on remove the whole capsule.

We brought her home around 7.30. She's still quite lethargic- she was under for over an hour which I gather is quite long for rabbits. She has had a small amount of critical care and has eaten some carrot tops but she hadn't wanted anything else.

I'm hoping she'll have more of an appetite tomorrow once the GA has worn off. Currently we have emeprid, metacam and baytril. The capsule has been sent to the lab to make sure Baytril is the correct antibiotic. We just have to hope now that all this stress doesn't lead to an EC flare up.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words and thoughts - Beapig- thanks for the warning about her wound site.

It sounds as though your Vet has done a great job. Removing the entire abscess capsule along with the offending teeth gives the very best prognosis. And getting MC+S testing done to ascertain the most suitable abx is again the very best thing to do.

I am sure that Nancy will be very sore for a few days. So her eating may take time to pick up. Try not to panic about this. Tempting her with softer foods such as chopped up fresh herbs, grated carrot + apple. Some Rabbits will eat their normal pellets when they have been softened and mashed up with some Veg Baby Food. You can buy these from most supermarkets. Brands such as Ellas Kitchen and Hipp are available, but Supermarkets do their own label varieties now too.

Sending Nancy lots of healing vibes xx

Your Vet sounds to be very thorough so hoping Nancy recovers well albeit perhaps slowly over the next few days. Beapig has given you some good tempting tips.

I hope that Nancy is soon feeling lots better. Your vet sounds really good:thumb:

I imagine she will be feeling very sore for a while and she might not fancy to eat her usual favourite foods. Topping up the vibes for her xx

Back