• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rate My House

Willow2018

New Kit
Hi All,

New to rabbit ownership (well since i was a kid about 20 years ago)

We now have a family indoor rabbit and have been doing a lot of research

Please see below photos and would be amazing for suggestions/improvements etc.

The rabbit comes out for a run every morning for 20 mins and then at night for a couple of hours

The Cage

3 floor hutch, with sleeping area

rabbit7.jpg

"upstairs" - sleeping area, hay ball, litter tray and waterbowl
rabbit19.jpg

"Downstairs" We have a hay rack, litter tray, water bottle, food bowl, some toys and a tunnel (with some hopping Room)
rabbit2.jpg

And here is Willow

willow2.jpg

thanks in advance

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave:your rabbits house is very pretty, and it’s good that you have provided her with different things to do in there :thumb:however, a hutch is too small on its own for a rabbit I’m afraid, they are very active and need lots of space at all times to be able to binky and run around. If your room is not rabbit proof, you can make a run area for your rabbit with puppy pens or similar.

As a guide, the RWAF recommendation is for a hutch minimum of 6ftx2ft with a permanently attached run of 8ftx6ft, meaning they should have 60sqft of permanently accessible space. https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/why-hutch-not-enough/

Shavings are not recommended for rabbits any more as they release phenols that can cause respiratory problems. Most of us use something like newspaper or wood or paper based cat litter in the litter trays :thumb:

Your bunny is lovely:love:

Willow is beautiful. I agree with Zoobec, there is lots of appropriate enrichment in her cage which is great. Being able to leave the door open permanently & let her explore & interact with you would be fab. I have free roaming house buns (3 of them) - they are a bit messy but no trouble at all
Welcome to RU & the world of bunny ownership

Hello and welcome to you and your bunny!

I have to agree with the other posters, I'm afraid. Lots of space is very important. Could you bunny proof the room and let bunny freerange?

What a pretty hutch. Could you put a puppy pen onto it and leave the door open so that your beautiful rabbit had some running space?

Last edited:
I think the ramp is too steep for your rabbit. Is he/she still a baby? I saw this type in Pets at Home and they shouldn't be sold for rabbits imo. Maybe you could attach a puppy pen to it?

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

Your rabbit is lovely, we have a Willow too :)

If you can, I would suggest bunny proofing a room and use the hutch as a base / place for litter etc, with the door left open.

We have three indoor rabbits and they have full roam of a bedroom. They are very clean and generally (;)) well behaved! With more available space you could think about having her spayed (if not already) and introducing a friend in time.

Are you in the know about vaccinations? x

Back