• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Got Offered A Rabbit!

Beapig

Mama Doe
So you know how last week I was considering rescuing a pair of neglected rabbits from freeads, but I was worried that the doe might be pregnant and decided it would be better to wait for a single bun to come along?

Well we're getting our bathroom renovated and the builder commented on our buns in the garden. He asked if they would fight with another rabbit and I asked why he was interested to know.

Turns out he has a 7 year old unneutered giant male that he wants to get rid of asap. It isn't advertised online but he said his neighbour gave it to him and he never wanted it. Poor thing has lived alone his whole life and apparently is aggressive (probably just never handled?)

He's going to take a photo of him to show me tomorrow.

I don't know if it's cheesy, but this feels like fate. He's a giant albino male and could be the perfect husbun for Plumpkin. I'm imagining this poor rabbit living alone in a hutch for years on end.

If I take him, the plan is to keep him in our spare bedroon until Spring so he can get neutered and hopefully get used to people. Then when the days are warmer and lighter we could bond him with our trio. Do you think it's a bad idea keeping a giant with a nethie?

I feel like this is meant to be and we could give this boy some happiness in his last years. Would appreciate any advice from you lovely lot.

Oh I think this is wonderful, fate must have played a hand. I really hope big bunny settles in well, I'm sure he'll have a wonderful life with you xxx

I always say I don't believe in fate, until something like this happens. And then I do :lol:

The giant buck sounds lovely, although I would be a tad scared as to how aggressive he is, particularly as he is a giant. Some people will exaggerate aggression in rabbits I think. He's certainly doing well to have reached 7 as I think that giants don't generally tend to live as long.

I think your plan of having him inside for the Winter is sensible and you will then have ample time to judge whether it would be a viable option to try bonding him with your trio. Personally, I don't think that size has any impact on a potential bond and large and small rabbits will live very happily together.

Want to hear more!:lol:

I always say I don't believe in fate, until something like this happens. And then I do :lol:

The giant buck sounds lovely, although I would be a tad scared as to how aggressive he is, particularly as he is a giant. Some people will exaggerate aggression in rabbits I think. He's certainly doing well to have reached 7 as I think that giants don't generally tend to live as long.

I think your plan of having him inside for the Winter is sensible and you will then have ample time to judge whether it would be a viable option to try bonding him with your trio. Personally, I don't think that size has any impact on a potential bond and large and small rabbits will live very happily together.

Want to hear more!:lol:

Thanks Omi, I didn't believe in fate either until today hehe!

I'm not 100% sure if he's a Giant Continental but the builder described him as being even bigger than Plumpkin, so it does sound like it to me.

Apparently he bites, but maybe he's just scared of people because he's hardly been handled.

Apparently he survived a fox attack once because he was too big for the fox to carry off :(

I want to spoil him and show him how great it is to be loved and have bun friends!

That sounds absolutely wonderful ... and it is indeed fate!
Poor boy hasn’t been neutered, always lived alone, stuck in a hutch, very little human contact ... and they wonder why he is ‘aggressive’.
I doubt he is vaccinated?

Thanks Omi, I didn't believe in fate either until today hehe!

I'm not 100% sure if he's a Giant Continental but the builder described him as being even bigger than Plumpkin, so it does sound like it to me.

Apparently he bites, but maybe he's just scared of people because he's hardly been handled.

Apparently he survived a fox attack once because he was too big for the fox to carry off :(

I want to spoil him and show him how great it is to be loved and have bun friends!

It may also be that he is an overweight New Zealand White. If he has been stuck in a hutch, it's likely that he'll have had a poor diet and a lack of exercise. I would also think that Arthritis and sore hocks would be a possibility.

Neutering should have a positive impact on his aggression.

Poor chap :(

If he's albino then he probably has poor eyesight and the aggression is actually fear. If he feels safe he may be a completely different rabbit.

Most of the time I curse fate, but every now and again it plays a blinder and I think this is one of those times.

Sounds like he's been through a lot! I agree some people exaggerate aggression in rabbits and don't put the effort in with them, hope it all works for you and for giant bun!

I totally agree with what you guys are saying here. If he's aggressive, it's out of fear and lack of human contact. It makes me want to adopt him more, because taking in rabbits who have had a tough life is very fulfilling. I think he may be a New Zealand White actually Omi, because the builder said he has a brown spot on his nose.

I've had a chat with my OH and he agrees that we should take the bunny. I feel like we were impulsively offered him when the builder saw our rabbits outside, and as he isn't advertising him online, we might be his only hope of living a happy life before he dies.

When I see the builder tomorrow I'll tell him that we accept and arrange a collection date once our bathroom renovation is complete (the spare bedroom is next to the bathroom so don't want to move him into a noisy, scary house)

I think he may be a New Zealand White actually Omi, because the builder said he has a brown spot on his nose.

Aww, he could have some Californian in him then, like our Tui :love:

I haven't even met him yet and I'm already thinking of name ideas :lol: Big fella is in for lots of loving in his new home :love:

Beapig - you're already a massive heroine as far as I'mconcerned with what you have done with Plumpkin - and that was such a magnificent and beautiful story which I hope continues to grow. My expertese is limited I'm afraid as I don't regard myself as having much in the way of expertese so all I can do is offer my own support and advice and that is pretty much echoing what those before have said. Forstly, what a magnificent sub plot there is here and I must say that part of me does hold some credence in fate. You have stated concern for Plumpkin regarding age and stuff and that at times she's been a bit distant but what a marvellous opportunity you are presented with to give her a very special bun-friend. I agree with what others have said regarding the agression - it may be due to poor eyesight or perhaps more likely, the lack of human interaction - and one thing I know you have is bundles of interaction and patience with your rabbits. Your love and dedication for them is so admirable and if anyone can make a bond work, I am sure you can. I am sure that this new rabbit would feel excited for a while, new surroundings and smells and I'm sure a whole lot of attention and I believe that would make him feel much more part of a group, a family and he will get all the love in the world from you. I'm sure he would settle down and although there may be some initial squabbles, patience and care will win over and I would love to see a happy bond not just for Plumpkins sake, but for this new bun. Plumpkin I'm sure, would adore a close hus-bun - I'm sure she would have her huge rabbit heart bursting with love from a new friendship and there is nothing but positives from this. I'm envious of this oportunity - I miss my big bunny Ben and the bond he had with his bun-wife, so I hope so much that this oppotunity can develop and blossom. You are an amazing person and I hope that there is more to this story. Good luck. xx

I’m so pleased this bunny is going to get the chance to have the wonderful life he deserves [emoji3]

For a name, how about Alan Twitchmarsh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your kind comments everyone! You're very kind Craig.

Builder showed us photos of him this morning and he looks sooo sweet :love: It's pretty clear he doesn't know much about bunnies because upon chatting again, he isn't sure if it's a doe or a buck :shock:He said it's pulling out fur to put in the nest which is more of a female behaviour? But also that it grunts and headbutts him when he tries to touch it. He/she will also burrow when let out into the run. Right now he/she is living in one of those small chicken coop things :(

It looks like a New Zealand or Californian - albino with brown ears and nose tip. So excited to meet our new bunny! Not sure when we will be having him/her yet, probably after the bathroom renovation is finished next week. Will keep you all updated!

Thanks so much for your kind comments everyone! You're very kind Craig.

Builder showed us photos of him this morning and he looks sooo sweet :love: It's pretty clear he doesn't know much about bunnies because upon chatting again, he isn't sure if it's a doe or a buck :shock:He said it's pulling out fur to put in the nest which is more of a female behaviour? But also that it grunts and headbutts him when he tries to touch it. He/she will also burrow when let out into the run. Right now he/she is living in one of those small chicken coop things :(

It looks like a New Zealand or Californian - albino with brown ears and nose tip. So excited to meet our new bunny! Not sure when we will be having him/her yet, probably after the bathroom renovation is finished next week. Will keep you all updated!

Sounds more like an uneutered girlie!

I agree with Lily - the new bun might be an un-neutered female. I can't wait to see photos of this beautiful sounding rabbit. From my seat, it's took us about 3 months or so to bond Hillian and we took it extremely slowly because Lillian was such a nervous rabbit and Henry was quite the opposite. Lillian is still very much afraid of us hoomans but she will accept a nose rub and a stroke first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening but Henry has made the difference. I really really hope you can get this new bun and start a slow and successful bond. Maybe you can use some blankets that Plumpkin lies on as comfort for the new bun so he/she gets to recognise the scent and smells. Oh, this new rabbit is so going to get the most wonderful second chance in life where his/her spirit and soul are re-energised with all the warmth and love from you. xx

Back