• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honeys eye again

lucy24

Mama Doe
😥 suddenly lookig swollen and infected. I really thought we'd fixed everything. On way to vets now. 😪

Thanks everyone. She's got an infection in both eyes. Unrelated to the surgery. Most likely tooth roots. Id noticed the other eye looking weepy too. She's had her tear ducts flushed but her bad eye didn't flush. I need to give eye drops every day and massage the eye. She's going back Tuesday to see the rabbit vet. Just feel bad she's gone through so much I just wish she was ok. Hate her being poorly.

I really hope that the treatment helps. I can understand how you miss having her indoors. I cant imagine not having Bunnies all around me in my home. I am lucky in that I dont have to consider any other humans in the matter. I doubt many people would be happy to live as I do !

This is going to sound horrible but when do you say enough when it comes to conditions that don't clear up ? Honey isn't particularly happy I don't think. Her eye is completely shut. She just sits in the dark alone mostly. She's eating but she gets so stressed going to vets all the time. Obviously I'm going to give the meds a good chance but I don't have a lot of money either at the moment. So at some point I fear it wont end well. But I'm worried it will be my fault because of lack of funds.

This is going to sound horrible but when do you say enough when it comes to conditions that don't clear up ? Honey isn't particularly happy I don't think. Her eye is completely shut. She just sits in the dark alone mostly. She's eating but she gets so stressed going to vets all the time. Obviously I'm going to give the meds a good chance but I don't have a lot of money either at the moment. So at some point I fear it wont end well. But I'm worried it will be my fault because of lack of funds.

For now can you try to focus on one day at a time. Give the eye treatment some time to have a beneficial effect. What did the Vet prescribe ? Also, did he/she prescribe some Metacam as a systemic anti-inflammatory analgesic ?

Perhaps your Vet will agree to setting up a payment plan- ie you pay an agreed amount each week/month if the Bill really starts to add up. Most Vets will help owners who are struggling to afford treatments in some way. I have yet to meet a Vet who will PTS an animal just because the owner cannot afford the treatment needed.

Thanks everyone. She's got an infection in both eyes. Unrelated to the surgery. Most likely tooth roots. Id noticed the other eye looking weepy too. She's had her tear ducts flushed but her bad eye didn't flush. I need to give eye drops every day and massage the eye. She's going back Tuesday to see the rabbit vet. Just feel bad she's gone through so much I just wish she was ok. Hate her being poorly.

Oh dear, sorry to hear this :(

I hope it clears up quickly x

Sorry for my panic stricken post before. Just been a tough month as my gran passed away too. Honeys eye is already less swollen as it's open today after a few doses of her drops.

I do have a question about tooth roots. What is usually the treatment?

Sorry for my panic stricken post before. Just been a tough month as my gran passed away too. Honeys eye is already less swollen as it's open today after a few doses of her drops.

I am sorry to hear of your Gran's passing :cry:

There is no 'cure' for tooth root elongation. Skull radiographs would be needed to ascertain if this is the cause of Honey's blocked tear ducts. If ETR are confirmed then it is a case of management of a longterm condition. This may include regular Dentals, if the crowns of the teeth become overly long this will increase the pressure on the roots and thus potentially increase the rate of progression of the tooth root problems. A good hay based diet would obviously be the best way to try to keep her teeth in good shape in general and obviate the need for frequent Dentals. The eyes may need daily bathing to remove any 'gunk'. If furter infections occur more abx treatment would be needed.

Some more detailed information here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/DacrocystitisRabbit.htm

Oh Lucy I'm so sorry to hear about your Gran :(

There's no treatment for tooth roots, if they are causing a problem.

If the eye won't flush at all (and sometimes with gentle management a good vet might make it work) then holding things at bay is the most you can do. It's very common in rabbits, and keeping the eyes clean by bathing in cooled boiled water using a cotton pad twice daily will help alleviate things.

I'm glad to hear her eye is looking a bit better.
Make sure you look after yourself too x

Thank you.

She doesn't actually have any spurs but I'm thinking there's something going on underneath. I have some metacam still so going to give her some as she looks very sore.

I think with her it's unfortunately bad breeding. It was very overcrowded where she came from and no matter what her diet...mainly hay as she's a great eater...Her teeth have always had problems.

So her appointment today with my rabbit vet was a bit sad. She's lost condition and weight. Not her very happy self.

It's 1 of 3 things. Most likely tooth roots pressing on the nasal passages and eye sockets. Then there's kidney failure or tumour.

We decided not to put her under ga or sedation for xrays as she is too poorly. I chose to go down metacam route to see if it improves over the next 7 days. He said if it's teeth she should perk up if not it's likely one of the other two.

I just don't want her stressing out even more in her state. Either way she probably doesn't have long left but I'm going to fuss her as much as I can. My parents are even considering keeping her inside for the remainder of her life.

There's no infection but she's clearly not happy and I won't prolong her suffering if she stays the same.
Bit heartbroken but was preparing myself.

So her appointment today with my rabbit vet was a bit sad. She's lost condition and weight. Not her very happy self.

It's 1 of 3 things. Most likely tooth roots pressing on the nasal passages and eye sockets. Then there's kidney failure or tumour.

We decided not to put her under ga or sedation for xrays as she is too poorly. I chose to go down metacam route to see if it improves over the next 7 days. He said if it's teeth she should perk up if not it's likely one of the other two.

I just don't want her stressing out even more in her state. Either way she probably doesn't have long left but I'm going to fuss her as much as I can. My parents are even considering keeping her inside for the remainder of her life.

There's no infection but she's clearly not happy and I won't prolong her suffering if she stays the same.

Hi Lucy

Remind me whether she's had a full blood profile recently?

Hi Lucy, imho you are doing the exact right things.
wishing you and Honey all the best here. xxx

Back