• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone tried Haygates pellets?

Orenoko

Mama Doe
I was given a free sample this morning, gave the bunnies a tiny handful and they liked it. They currently have excel nuggets, just wondering how the two compare?

I was given a free sample this morning, gave the bunnies a tiny handful and they liked it. They currently have excel nuggets, just wondering how the two compare?

I can't seem to find the actual ingredients online, as this is the only way to compare properly. Are they listed on your sample pack?

Thanks, I just got the sample in a little clear bag with no ingredients so wasn't sure. Think I'll stick with my current food as the nutritional content is better.

This is what the breeder has been feeding the baby rabbits I am to pick up on Tuesday. I found the ingredients online and they don't meet the recommended quantitys. I will only have two really small baby's and as previously stated I can only find it in 20kg bags.
I know rabbits should be kept on the food they were getting before being rehomed whilst they settle in. Is it best I get a bag ( I will be provided a small quintity when I pick them up) and keep feeding them this or can I do it another way?
In my cupboard I have the oxbow junior pellets Timothy hay and alfalfa.
I just asked the breeder what else they were getting hay and veg wise and he said any hay that is marketed for rabbits and tells me they should not be fed the alfalfa until 6 months and no veg till then either.
This mostly contradicts every thing I have read here and on almost every website I have looked at.
So now I'm confused and wondering if any one has any advice?
I want the best for them what ever it is.

This is what the breeder has been feeding the baby rabbits I am to pick up on Tuesday. I found the ingredients online and they don't meet the recommended quantitys. I will only have two really small baby's and as previously stated I can only find it in 20kg bags.
I know rabbits should be kept on the food they were getting before being rehomed whilst they settle in. Is it best I get a bag ( I will be provided a small quintity when I pick them up) and keep feeding them this or can I do it another way?
In my cupboard I have the oxbow junior pellets Timothy hay and alfalfa.
I just asked the breeder what else they were getting hay and veg wise and he said any hay that is marketed for rabbits and tells me they should not be fed the alfalfa until 6 months and no veg till then either.
This mostly contradicts every thing I have read here and on almost every website I have looked at.
So now I'm confused and wondering if any one has any advice?
I want the best for them what ever it is.
I would use what the breeder has been feeding, see how much they will give you as you'll have to gradually change it to something different.

In terms of hay and veg, that's nonsense. Alfalfa isn't that great for adult, healthy bunnies, but a little won't harm them. I'm guessing the breeder won't have been giving them veg if that's their attitude (which does make me question how good a breeder they are?) so it would be best to introduce this very slowly once you get them home.

Also check they've if they've had any vaccinations as they'll need these ASAP.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Here's what I would do.

I would ask the breeder the approx weight of pellets he's intending to give you. I would estimate you will need about 1kg to manage the change-over. If the breeder is giving you less than that, I would ask if you could purchase from him 1kg. You certainly don't want to have to buy 20kgs. Then I would start replacing an increasing amount each day of the Haygates with the Oxbow and aim to have completely changed over by around 10-14 days. You'll need to monitor them for any digestive problems during this time and adjust accordingly. Baby rabbits tummies are quite fragile.

Normal hay should not be a problem and just start giving them the Timothy from day 1. I've never fed Alfalfa, but as far as I am aware he has given you incorrect information. Alfalfa is richer and so should only be given in small quantities to young rabbits or to adults if you want to help them put on weight. So I would feed a small amount of the Alfalfa with the Timothy.

It's a shame that they haven't been given any veg. However, I don't think it's that important and they are quite young. I would wait until they are settled with you and their digestion is OK after the changing over of the pellets. Then I would very slowly start introducing veg or perhaps better still herbs. Start off by giving them only one type and then monitor for any adverse effects, doing the same with any new food after that. Try not to bombard them with new foods too quickly.

Thanks Orenoko and Omi the infomation has been along the lines of what I was thinking of doing but I wanted to make sure it was the right thing.

I don't mind buying a bag if I have to. Would you suggest I start the change over after a few days or should I give them time to settle in first. Im unsure of weather I need to get to know them a bit first to know what they are like personality wise so I can spot if they change their behaviour. Being my first rabbits I don't want them to become ill because of the change and not to notice it starting because I've no experience but I do want what's best for them.

Orenoko I had the same thought when I saw the text about any hay marketed for rabbits then looked up the pellets. The baby's look clean and healthy as does the mum but then it also doesn't sound like he is doing his best for them. And that makes me angry.

Omi thank you for the suggested weight of pellets I will need and the infomation on the alfalfa. I will be introducing one change or new food at a time in very tiny quintitys to make sure I can look out for any adverse reactions for their sakes and my piece of mind.

I've always been a bit nervous over owning animals so it's been really nice to find a comunity I can put questions to and see people's advice and opinions.

I think I would give them a couple of days to settle and then start to supplement some of their old pellets with the new. That will also give you time to get used to what their droppings look like normally and also obviously to allow them to feel OK in their new home. Things to watch out for would be a change in consistency of the droppings or the rabbits leaving their cecotropes. The fact that they will be together should be helpful to them. Are they living together now at the breeders? I think you said they are from different litters.

I wouldn't be too critical of the breeder if the litters and their Mum look clean and healthy. Regarding the veg there will certainly be people who would not advocate giving veg to very young rabbits and as long as they have plenty of hay I wouldn't be too concerned about that. It would appear that the breeder's adult rabbits are also not getting fed with veg either, otherwise the babies would be nibbling it as well. The only thing I would take issue with really is the wrong advice about the alfalfa.

Thanks Omi. I will keep my eyes open for any changes in behaviour and droppings.
Mum and babies were brought out from another room separately so I didn't see and I didn't think to ask at the time. I definantly will do tonight when I know he is home though. If they aren't together already I will devide up the hutch so they can see and smell each other and see how it goes.

I know some don't feed veg and to be honest it's not that that gets my hackles up. It's that he doesn't seem to do his best feeding them and I now get the impression it's what ever is the cheapest for him.
When I asked about the reason for no alfalfa until six months he brushed me off just saying he would talk about it all when we pick them up.
I'm not going to say any thing ( except about the amount of pellets I will need) as I doubt it would change any thing and I don't do well with any sort of confrontation giving or receiving.

Thanks Omi. I will keep my eyes open for any changes in behaviour and droppings.
Mum and babies were brought out from another room separately so I didn't see and I didn't think to ask at the time. I definantly will do tonight when I know he is home though. If they aren't together already I will devide up the hutch so they can see and smell each other and see how it goes.

I know some don't feed veg and to be honest it's not that that gets my hackles up. It's that he doesn't seem to do his best feeding them and I now get the impression it's what ever is the cheapest for him.
When I asked about the reason for no alfalfa until six months he brushed me off just saying he would talk about it all when we pick them up.
I'm not going to say any thing ( except about the amount of pellets I will need) as I doubt it would change any thing and I don't do well with any sort of confrontation giving or receiving.

and this lack of advice and care is why it is always best to adopt froma good rescue!
We use Heygates mixed in with other pellets and they are fine.
Baby rabbits should have large bowl of pellets to help growth.
Remember that once a rabbit is grown the amount of pellets fed should be small and hay should be biggest part of diet. So aslong as one of the branded ones there really isn't enough difference in small amount that should be fed to matter. Do offer them small amounts of veg as they should have been having some, forage is best and although bad time of year for it you can buy bags of dried forage stuffs. Hope they settle well :)

and this lack of advice and care is why it is always best to adopt froma good rescue!
We use Heygates mixed in with other pellets and they are fine.
Baby rabbits should have large bowl of pellets to help growth.
Remember that once a rabbit is grown the amount of pellets fed should be small and hay should be biggest part of diet. So aslong as one of the branded ones there really isn't enough difference in small amount that should be fed to matter. Do offer them small amounts of veg as they should have been having some, forage is best and although bad time of year for it you can buy bags of dried forage stuffs. Hope they settle well :)

After seeing the way he kept them and the advice he gave makes me want to adopt in the future. My daughter knows more and she’s only ten and been researching for only a couple of weeks.

They have just had their first health check and seem ok which is surprising for the way they were kept. They are settling in nicely after bonding. I am going to change over food slowly in the next two days and after that is done I will introduce veg in tiny amounts as well as some forage Iv seen on a rabbit website that comes dry. I’m just going to take it slow as I don’t want to upset their stomachs.

They seem to have settled into the environment nicley and are starting to come and sniff us when we replace water and clean their hutch. They have also started playing with toys which in the begging they were completely preplexed by. We have also seen them binkying and playing with each other. Christmas Day they will also get the run of a large hallway then the living room once it is rabbit proofed properly.

I feel so bad for all the little ones I couldn’t bring home but also for putting money in his pocket to help him carry on what he is doing. I will not buy from breeders again!

200936bc4f80020ec5a6068e79b26cd3.jpg
f0a7bf9688d6bc028a32a52b4c87649f.jpg
a487ab477a29c4103f2ad8b2c423e4e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back