• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Corn Gnawing Chew Advice

ryanpm

New Kit
Hi there,

We've bought this product for our house rabbits; http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet/rat/rat-chews-toys-and-playthings/corn-gnawing-chew

However they love it perhaps too much and wonder if there might be some negative effects of allowing them to eat the whole thing?

Ingredients: Alfalfa 35%, modified starch 25.55%, propionic acid 15%, sawdust 14.35%, sodium alga acid 10%, potassium sorbate 0.05%, artificial colouring 0.05%

Should we leave in the hutch to eat forever and always, or introduce it now and then to keep their teeth in check and to make sure they're mainly eating hay/grass/veggies?

Any good advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi :wave: I’m sure they are sold as suitable for rabbits, the same as those dried whole sweetcorn, but personally I wouldn’t feed them to my bunny, as I wouldn’t want him eating sawdust, and the dried whole sweetcorn can cause blockages.

I would stick to things like plenty of hay, fibafirst sticks, and natural rabbit safe sticks from pesticide free apple or pear trees or other rabbit safe trees.

I don’t know if your rabbits have tried fibafirst sticks, you might be able to get a sample, or I could send you a few if you PM me your address :thumb:

Hi :wave: I’m sure they are sold as suitable for rabbits, the same as those dried whole sweetcorn, but personally I wouldn’t feed them to my bunny, as I wouldn’t want him eating sawdust, and the dried whole sweetcorn can cause blockages.

I would stick to things like plenty of hay, fibafirst sticks, and natural rabbit safe sticks from pesticide free apple or pear trees or other rabbit safe trees.

I don’t know if your rabbits have tried fibafirst sticks, you might be able to get a sample, or I could send you a few if you PM me your address :thumb:
This... Altho I must confess my buns have these and the peppers (made from same stuff) and love them and I've had no issues so far.. Altho I too was thinking about moving away from them.. The ingredients don't look great tbh

Sent via carrier pigeon

Back