• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Stasis advice needed for a newbie owner please

New bunnies

Young Bun
Hi this morning our 4 month old mini lop Luna had GI stasis, huddled up ignoring food & treats & then collapsed in a corner - I thought she’d died. We rushed her to our local vet as by then it was 8am & we would have taken ages to get to our vet & I was so worried she was dying.

The vet gave her Metacam & something to get her gut going & another injection. She has perked up & has been eating lightly (grass dandelions & raspberry leaves) but not drinking & no poop I think (she is with a neutered male so not 100% sure).

Should I stress her out & take her to our vets or just monitor for now? How long before I have to worry about lack of poos? Thanks!

Hi this morning our 4 month old mini lop Luna had GI stasis, huddled up ignoring food & treats & then collapsed in a corner - I thought she’d died. We rushed her to our local vet as by then it was 8am & we would have taken ages to get to our vet & I was so worried she was dying.

The vet gave her Metacam & something to get her gut going & another injection. She has perked up & has been eating lightly (grass dandelions & raspberry leaves) but not drinking & no poop I think (she is with a neutered male so not 100% sure).

Should I stress her out & take her to our vets or just monitor for now? How long before I have to worry about lack of poos? Thanks!

Hello

Did the Vet rule out a full GI tract obstruction ? This would include a full abdominal examination, a blood glucose test and possibly an abdominal Xray ? Were you given medication to continue to administer at home ie pain relief (Metacam) and prokinetics (Gut motility stimulating meds-Metoclopramide and Ranitidine).

Fluids are very important as part of the treatment for gut stasis. Did the Vet administer any fluids subcutaneously ? Were you advised to syringe feed Luna ?

If she has not had any fecal output all day personally I would want to have her re-examined by a Rabbit Savvy Vet this afternoon/evening. Especially if the Vet you saw earlier did not prescribe any ongoing medication.

This link provides good information about Gut Stasis

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

I hope that Luna will feel better soon.

Thanks Jack’s-Jane, no treatment for home & no mention of fluid really just told to get her eating so gave her pellets which probably wasn’t the best. He did exam her tummy but no x-Ray etc. Have seen from further reading about fluids so washing grass etc & put water bowl in but i’m not sure she’s touching it or the bottle. I’ve now made an appointment for this eve with our vet who told me can pick up some food for syringe feeding. Feel awful she’s so little to have this.

Thanks Jack’s-Jane, no treatment for home & no mention of fluid really just told to get her eating so gave her pellets which probably wasn’t the best. He did exam her tummy but no x-Ray etc. Have seen from further reading about fluids so washing grass etc & put water bowl in but i’m not sure she’s touching it or the bottle. I’ve now made an appointment for this eve with our vet who told me can pick up some food for syringe feeding. Feel awful she’s so little to have this.

I think you are doing the right thing by taking her back to the Vets. I hope that he/she will be a bit more proactive with providing ongoing treatment. Good luck x

Sending lots of vibes for her, hopefully the vet will be able to find the cause of the stasis, and give medication for ongoing treatment.

Yes wet veggies are good :)

If this continues, you might want to ask your vet about doing a blood glucose test ...

Blood glucose is measured in mmol/ml (millimoles/litre)

Normal: 4-8 mmol/ml

2-4 mmol/ltr – needs food – rabbit is experiencing gut stasis
If less that 2 mmol/ltr, call vet

8-15 mmol/ltr Rabbit is stressed, but can stay at home
More than 15mmol/ltr, less than 20 – Call vet, start to worry…
More than 20 mmol/ltr, needs surgery.

The other thing you could add in, which won't do any harm as it doesn't interact with other meds, is Infacol.
If you've not come across it, you can google and see it's infant gas meds.
People on here have found it highly effective for rabbits in stasis.
You can give one ml every hour for three doses.

Some info here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

I give rose leaves, bramble leaves and fresh picked grass for stasis. Also herbs can sometimes whet the appetite .. coriander, parsley and dill are faves.

Are you syringe feeding? I mix mashed pellets or Recovery food with organic baby food pouches such as Ella's Kitchen - fruit or veg whichever is the preference.

Good luck at the vets x

Hi everyone, thanks for all your advice. Our vet said he could feel quite a bit of fecal matter in her & nothing that would suggest a blockage. He gave her more Emeprid & Ranitidine plus Fibreplex & some to take home.

She was quieter last night but ran over for breakfast this morning & is drinking again & has done some small dark poos. I guess she was having lots of greens, grass & raspberry leaves & dandelions so that the colour is normal? She was also digging in her favourite corner again so I think on the mend! Phew!!

Hi everyone, thanks for all your advice. Our vet said he could feel quite a bit of fecal matter in her & nothing that would suggest a blockage. He gave her more Emeprid & Ranitidine plus Fibreplex & some to take home.

She was quieter last night but ran over for breakfast this morning & is drinking again & has done some small dark poos. I guess she was having lots of greens, grass & raspberry leaves & dandelions so that the colour is normal? She was also digging in her favourite corner again so I think on the mend! Phew!!

This looks like positive progress. Dark & mishapen poo, small in size is totally normal for a bun who has been through stasis. It can take a few days or more to resolve. As you say forage often makes poo darker too

Glad to hear that she seems to be on the mend :)

You're welcome :)

Definitely on the mend and I'm happy things are getting better!
Improvement can be slow, but whilst there's input and output, that's good :D

It is good to hear that Luna has improved and is acting more like herself. Your prompt action in getting her treatment was key to her recovery. Luna is lucky to have you.

great news :D

Back