• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blocked tear ducts and sore skin

clarebear

Mama Doe
Bungee has blocked rear ducts. I've spoken to the vet on a few occasions about this. They don't seem overly worried, as it doesn't seem to bother her. I dry her fur out most evenings, but have noticed over the last week that her skin is looking very sore. Is there anything I can put on this or would I be better returning to the vets? I thought about using Sudocrem, but was worried incase she injested it.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Chester had exactly this (blocked duct & hence sore skin) & it turned out worse than i thought.
Basically the sore attracted flies in the summertime with asscociated flystrike problems.
later, it may've been a tearduct infection that he died from.

it was ongoing for a couple of years before the vets sugested flushing it out, but (i think) due to the time it had been going on it was very difficult to clear by flushing.
i would really suggest trying to get this resolved at as early stage as possible.

edit:
forgot - sudocreme was good for the sore.

Last edited:
Bungee has blocked rear ducts. I've spoken to the vet on a few occasions about this. They don't seem overly worried, as it doesn't seem to bother her. I dry her fur out most evenings, but have noticed over the last week that her skin is looking very sore. Is there anything I can put on this or would I be better returning to the vets? I thought about using Sudocrem, but was worried incase she injested it.

Hi there

I've had rabbits with ongoing tear duct issues, and it's often a case of managing them.

The vet really ought to flush it out, at least once anyway, and find out if there's infection in there. Some vets require a rabbit to be sedated for this, but mine never did and in fact I was shown how to do this at home and I have the equipment here. My rabbit had his tear ducts flushed every six weeks.

As MikeK says, that area around the eye is attractive to flies in summer and they can indeed have flystrike around the eyes. But doubtful at this time of year.

Personally I just bathe twice daily with cooled boiled water and a soft cotton pad. Anything applied near the eye has a chance of going into the eye and causing irritation.

Best to tackle the source of the problem - the blocked tear duct.

(And thank you for your good wishes for my sick bunny Clare)

Thank you both.

The vet didn't want to do a flush before unless it was really necessary. However it's definitely got worse over the last couple of weeks and looks sore and is a bit smelly, so worried about an infection. I think I will make an appointment for Bungee this week and just get it checked out.

Thank you both.

The vet didn't want to do a flush before unless it was really necessary. However it's definitely got worse over the last couple of weeks and looks sore and is a bit smelly, so worried about an infection. I think I will make an appointment for Bungee this week and just get it checked out.

Some vets, after flushing the tear duct with saline, will then flush with Baytril

Thank you both.

I think that would be the best thing, especially as it sounds as though there is active infection present. Blocked tear ducts can be associated with Dental problems-ie tooth root elongation. If the tooth roots elongate they can occlude the nasolacrimal ducts (tear ducts). This then causes runny eyes and sometimes leads to secondary bacterial infections. To diagnose tooth root elongation skull radiographs are required. It is not possible to diagnose the condition just from looking at the crowns of the teeth within the Rabbit's mouth.

tB8kdlE.jpg

Whilst tooth root elongation cannot be 'cured' there are various things that can be done to manage the condition and minimise it's rate of progression.

Sometimes flushing the tear ducts can help to get an infection under control. But if the primary problem is tooth root related flushing the ducts may have to be done again and again over the Rabbit's lifetime.

The following links contain information which may be helpful to take a look at :

http://veterinarymedicinejournal.usamv.ro/pdf/vol.LVIII_4/Art16.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/DacrocystitisRabbit.htm

Nasolacrimal Duct Flushing Technique (Tear Duct flushing)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00M...annulation.htm

Thank you both.

Welcome - good luck at the vets x

A little update on Bungee..
We went to see the vet, who has given Bungee a course of eye drops and we have to return in a week for him to check.
He gave her a thorough health check, particularly her eyes. I was very impressed. He said they wouldn't flush her tear ducts unless they really had to. Her skin does seem a little bit better. I think the thing is to just keep it as dry as possible.
Thanks for all your help. X

We went to see the vet, who has given Bungee a course of eye drops and we have to return in a week for him to check.
He gave her a thorough health check, particularly her eyes. I was very impressed. He said they wouldn't flush her tear ducts unless they really had to. Her skin does seem a little bit better. I think the thing is to just keep it as dry as possible.

You're welcome Clare :)

Yes, keeping skin dry prevents it from degrading x

I hope that the treatment helps :)

Hi there,

I would keep an eye on it (sorry no pun intended!), and keep checking the area around the eye for any small lumps and bumps. As one of mine had a blocked tear duct on and off for a few years with lots of flushing and eye drops, and eventually my Vet and I found the beginnings of an abscess forming just below the eye which had been caused by a elongated tooth root.

Hope Bungee is feeling a little more comfortable since your Vet visit.

Back