• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plumpkin's Palace UPDATE

Beapig

Mama Doe
I'd love to share with you guys what we've been working on the past few months. My OH and I decided back in July that we wanted to get the bunnies a shed in time for winter. Last winter we had to bring them inside on several occasions because of extreme weather. We also want to reclaim our greenhouse because we've become really interested in growing our own food (which will also benefit our trio of course!)

We discovered that with some severe hacking back, there was much more space behind our greenhouse than we initally realised. This is the space before we went to town on it. The ground was really really sloped, full of plastic and other debris. We had to hack back the privet a lot and get some stumps removed. You can see in the first photo that there's also some really tall privet running along the back of the run. We completely removed this and gained a good metre of space, which will mean more run space for the rabbits and we're going to replace it with a bed of lots of lovely plants and shrubs:

20180630_205630 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20180812_104011 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Fast forward to today - after months of clearing whenever we could, and digging the ground every darn weekend, today my OH finally laid the paving slabs for the shed:

20181125_154445 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20181125_154438 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

It still looks like a bit of a building site at the moment, but I hope next Spring we can start planting things and make it lovely for the rabbits.

The shed we have bought is the 'Penthouse' by Tiger Sheds (8x6). We love that at the moment we can see the bunnies in the greenhouse from our dining room, and we don't want that to change. So the big windows on this shed will mean we can still see them when we're eating breakfast. We're going to build a second level with a ramp so they can look out of the lower set of windows:

penthouse_02 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

I'll share more photos when I have updates to show. We're hoping to have it all done before the end of December :)

Last edited:
It looks lovely, I’ve not seen a shed with windows like that before :love: I like the stable door too :thumb: you could use mesh instead of the glass for some of the windows in summer if it gets too hot, or in the stable doorway :thumb:

It looks lovely, I’ve not seen a shed with windows like that before :love: I like the stable door too :thumb: you could use mesh instead of the glass for some of the windows in summer if it gets too hot, or in the stable doorway :thumb:

Yes, we're thinking of making some of the windows on the side mesh so they still get good ventilation :) And also we'll be adding some sort of door flap at the bottom too (which can be locked at night) so they can go in and out of the run.

Sadly we didn't go for the stable door option because it was quite a lot more expensive, but we could try turning our cheaper door into a stable door ;) I think it's meant to be like a potting shed, hence the many windows. We love being able to watch them from inside the house, so it's perfect!

Yes, we're thinking of making some of the windows on the side mesh so they still get good ventilation :) And also we'll be adding some sort of door flap at the bottom too (which can be locked at night) so they can go in and out of the run.

Sadly we didn't go for the stable door option because it was quite a lot more expensive, but we could try turning our cheaper door into a stable door ;) I think it's meant to be like a potting shed, hence the many windows. We love being able to watch them from inside the house, so it's perfect!

Sounds good :thumb: if your run is predator proof then you won’t need to shut them in :thumb:

Ah, sorry I thought it was a pic of your shed! You could make a mesh inner door rather than try to make a stable door, although if you are meshing some windows it wouldn’t be necessary:thumb:

I do love a bunny building project so I’ll be avidly following your progress! [emoji3]

That looks a lovely big shed and it’ll look amazing once you’ve got everything sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, you've both worked incredibly hard with clearing that area and it looks a fantastic space now. I love the design of the shed with the windows :) We've got an 8x6 Tiger shed (just a normal one). We've had it in place 7 years now and have (touch wood) never had any problem with it. It looks as though the slabs have been laid well :thumb:

Will be interested to see updates.

It's going to be amazing for them. I've looked at those types of sheds, but couldn't afford it, it will be lovely for them to be able to climb up and see out x

Thank you for the love everyone! :love: Unfortunately we have heavy rain forecast for the next week, so waiting for the weather to ease up and then we'll be assembling the shed :D

Update!!

It isn't 100% finished yet, but we're due snow tonight, so we decided to speed up getting the bunnies into the shed. Right now we have the hutch that came with Jellybean as a temporary sleepy den in there, but in the long run we plan to build a custom L-shaped walkway level with the lower windows which will have sleep spaces/litter tray spaces underneath and also a built in hinged hay storage box.

So far they seem to love it, and I'm very excited that this means I can have a greenhouse for the growing season. I look forward to sharing more photos when the interior is properly finished :)

20190131_153508 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20190131_153832 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20190131_152250 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20190131_152300 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

20190131_153554 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

Wonderful :love: You've worked really hard and it will be so reassuring to have them in there tonight. They won't know it's not 100% finished and it looks as though they really approve :)

Back