• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding area at home, old house or new?

Truffpuff

Mama Doe
Hi guys.....I know me again hehe!!

So as many of you know I decided to try one more time to bond my boys after their unfortunate fallout etc etc.

They went to the bonder Wednesday morning and I heard nothing (which I was hoping was a good thing) until yesterday evening. They said it’s going fairly good, still a bit of chasing and fur pulling but also there has been sitting together and ignoring each other too....I’m just glad no blood this time!!

Anyway so my question;
I have taken a lot of what awesome advice I’ve had on how to house them at night and we have been doing diy for days to set up a pen in the kitchen. The plan was originally to continue the bond as last time at home using their hutch, starting the first week in just the top part, then top and bottom, then adding space with our puppy pen until free roaming.
BUT if we are planning on ditching the hutch after continued bonding at home, is it better to start the continued bonding in the pen not the hutch as that will be their new night area? Would starting in the hutch then not going in there anymore be to confusing and disruptive to a new bond?

I might be collecting them tomorrow at the earliest and this issue just popped into my head! Pic of hutch and a rough idea of the pen idea for reference, obviously if we have to continue the bond in the pen not the hutch I’m guessing we’d have to section off a small bit to start off with etc. Pen will also have toys and mats in areas when set up properly, a tipi and it has a lid.

Thank you for any advice :) x

ad6f64d83a190c80cb2cf17c9e7f0e40.jpg

8876f80536b03156c46a7be0f0daea40.jpg

4bd93180fe5767fff48e0c76d74e3d36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if it was me I would start off with the pen as it’s brand new and nobunny will have any claim over any territory. I’d probably remove the hides houses until their bond is settled, and just have a big pile of hay and herbs in the middle and scatter feed pellets. You could make it a smaller space to begin with, it’s difficult to see how big it is. I think it looks great btw :love:

If either of them have been in the hutch before then I would just use the pen as Zoobec says. Fingers crossed for you.

I think if it was me I would start off with the pen as it’s brand new and nobunny will have any claim over any territory. I’d probably remove the hides houses until their bond is settled, and just have a big pile of hay and herbs in the middle and scatter feed pellets. You could make it a smaller space to begin with, it’s difficult to see how big it is. I think it looks great btw :love:

Hey zoobec :)

Thank you! I’ll post a proper picture of the finished thing when we are done and they are settled, we’ve completely taken apart their old small outside run swapped panels and the lid about to make it work better for us, it’s about 1.20m sq plus then a bit extra with the the hut sticking out and it has a door which will let them free roam.

Yes I did wonder if it would be better as it’s neutral. Yes definitely I thought the same, it would be a nightmare if they got into the hut and fell out! That’s a good idea with the hay and herbs, they’d like that :-D

If either of them have been in the hutch before then I would just use the pen as Zoobec says. Fingers crossed for you.

Thank you :-D
Getting nervous about calling this morning for an update lol!!

I will add that the hutch was Truffle’s for a year, and I used it to continue their bond last time and they had it together and all was fine. But in the same vein I think your right, maybe that’s too many times now.
Plus if they are going to live in the pen at night it’s maybe best to set that president from the start.

I agree with zoobec. Use the pen, no hutch no hideys. Lots of noms and hay. Maybe cover the floor in cheap hay and a big pile of timothy hay and forage. How exciting good luck everybun xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I agree with zoobec. Use the pen, no hutch no hideys. Lots of noms and hay. Maybe cover the floor in cheap hay and a big pile of timothy hay and forage. How exciting good luck everybun xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hi Loobers :-D
Ok, I’m taking it all in and I think after chatting and the helpful advice we are going to take the hutch upstairs and go for straight into the pen but a small part as you say.
I’ve got a strip of old carpet we had In The kitchen as a hopping stone, so I can put that in part of a section so they can grip on the floor or lay on it. Then just hay and yummies, water bowl etc and litter tray.

Aw thank you [emoji4] xxx

Apparently they were ready today, but because it takes us an hour to get there they’d have closed so we asked to pick them up Tuesday, with he hopes that my OH can get the day off and come with me. Just in case they kick off in the carrier on the way home along roads like the M1, I don’t fancy driving by myself!

So I’ve been playing with our new pen to set up a small area to start in for maybe the first week, seeing how they go. Do you think the size is ok? And shape.

There will be hay plonked in the middle and other nibbles the morning of collection. Is that ok for now, I don’t think you put much in there so they don’t fight over things and concentrate on each other? I’ve done two bowls for water so there’s no possession of one, and the litter will be in the corner....to make it less cornery lol!

Thanks again guys [emoji4] x

6fe12c3bdfcf11d9b5c2728d9af99df6.jpg

Back