• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is grain-free food better/worse for rabbits?

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
We've noticed more and more grain free rabbit foods popping up.

My OH has coeliac disease, so if we aren't very careful with Burgess food, we can risk getting crumbs of gluten around the flat, that can make OH sick. We thought we'd try some of the new grain-free alternatives, so we can be a bit less paranoid, but the question is, are they best for bunny?

We've noticed more and more grain free rabbit foods popping up.

My OH has coeliac disease, so if we aren't very careful with Burgess food, we can risk getting crumbs of gluten around the flat, that can make OH sick. We thought we'd try some of the new grain-free alternatives, so we can be a bit less paranoid, but the question is, are they best for bunny?
Idk... I don't think grain free is necessary for buns...

However, I feed the SS grain free and I think it's a very good food :) Idk if its any better or worse than normal ss though.

Considering your OH I'd probably try them on the grain free :)

Sent via carrier pigeon

Grain-free food is usually higher in fibre, which is obviously great. It's usually a fair bit higher in calcium though, so may or may not be a concern for that reason.

Grain-free food is usually higher in fibre, which is obviously great. It's usually a fair bit higher in calcium though, so may or may not be a concern for that reason.
Ooo I didn't know that!

Sent via carrier pigeon

Yes, just looking at the SS website, 1% calcium in grain free against 0.6% calcium in the regular. And this is similar to what you find in all grain free pellets. May or may not be a problem, and the grains may cause a greater problem than the calcium, but it's just part of the picture to consider, I think.

Thanks! I've been transitioning them over, and noticed a few extra uneaten cecals around, so that explains that! They seem to prefer the old stuff - they eat it first, then come back later for the new stuff... But if it's not harming them, it would be preferable for us...

really imho its one of those fad things, really just jumping onto the wagon of grain free cat & dog food, which is totally different. rabbits don't seem to have any issue with digesting grains compared to that of a dog or a cat. I don't really think there is any evidence for grains causing harm, or a lack of causing harm.

I do remember back along being told that the only reason they created it was because people kept asking for it, otherwise they had no intention too.

mostly in comes down to ingredients, the grain free has a lot more ingredients in it to make up for a lack grains in it. I can't comment on whether they are bad or good as a whole, but I always prefer simple over more. I expect these ingredients are purely just to bulk out and bind the pellet, adding little nutritional value, but I could be wrong.

grain free: Timothy hay, soya bean hulls, pea flour, flaked peas, ground soya bean meal, ground dried locust beans, whole brown linseeds, soya bean oil, calcium carbonate, hydrolysed yeast, Yucca extract.

normal: Alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, wheat, wheat feed, flaked peas, linseed, beet pulp, soybean meal, soya oil, monocalcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate.

the grain free is not any higher in fibre, in fact lower. its also not any higher in calcium.

grain free: Crude Protein 14.0%, Crude Fibre 22.0%, Crude Oils and Fats 4.0%, Crude Ash 5.0%, Calcium 0.6%, Phosphorus 0.4%.

normal: Crude protein 14.0%, Crude fibre 25.0%, Crude oils and fats 4.0%, Crude ash 8.0%, Calcium 0.6%, Sodium 0.3%, Phosphorus 0.4%.

really, there isn't a lot of difference other than slightly lower crude fibre, and more ingredients to bulk out where the wheat is lost.

unless there are multiple grain free foods which in that case I'm sorry :oops:

https://supremepetfoods.com/products/grain-free-rabbit-food/
https://supremepetfoods.com/products/science-selective-rabbit/

Ok that webpage makes no sense. The figure for calcium if you zoom in to the bag (which is what I did) is different to what they list in the text.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Ok that webpage makes no sense. The figure for calcium if you zoom in to the bag (which is what I did) is different to what they list in the text.

Uh oh...

So I have this one, this bag is new I bought it a week ago. Idk if this helps x

Sent via carrier pigeon
bd67943a8084b67753e0379533406a41.jpg
e6dfee0d0be27c7a7371d8135ef939ce.jpg

Last edited:
really imho its one of those fad things, really just jumping onto the wagon of grain free cat & dog food, which is totally different. rabbits don't seem to have any issue with digesting grains compared to that of a dog or a cat. I don't really think there is any evidence for grains causing harm, or a lack of causing harm.

I do remember back along being told that the only reason they created it was because people kept asking for it, otherwise they had no intention too.

mostly in comes down to ingredients, the grain free has a lot more ingredients in it to make up for a lack grains in it. I can't comment on whether they are bad or good as a whole, but I always prefer simple over more. I expect these ingredients are purely just to bulk out and bind the pellet, adding little nutritional value, but I could be wrong.

grain free: Timothy hay, soya bean hulls, pea flour, flaked peas, ground soya bean meal, ground dried locust beans, whole brown linseeds, soya bean oil, calcium carbonate, hydrolysed yeast, Yucca extract.

normal: Alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, wheat, wheat feed, flaked peas, linseed, beet pulp, soybean meal, soya oil, monocalcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate.

the grain free is not any higher in fibre, in fact lower. its also not any higher in calcium.

grain free: Crude Protein 14.0%, Crude Fibre 22.0%, Crude Oils and Fats 4.0%, Crude Ash 5.0%, Calcium 0.6%, Phosphorus 0.4%.

normal: Crude protein 14.0%, Crude fibre 25.0%, Crude oils and fats 4.0%, Crude ash 8.0%, Calcium 0.6%, Sodium 0.3%, Phosphorus 0.4%.

really, there isn't a lot of difference other than slightly lower crude fibre, and more ingredients to bulk out where the wheat is lost.

unless there are multiple grain free foods which in that case I'm sorry :oops:

https://supremepetfoods.com/products/grain-free-rabbit-food/
https://supremepetfoods.com/products/science-selective-rabbit/

That's interesting, thanks! It looks like the ingredient list is pretty much the same length though 11 ingredients (grain free) Vs 12 ingredients (normal). Slightly less fibre, and no sodium.

As I say, we're considering it for our health, rather than a belief the world needs to be grain free, so I want to be sure we're not sacrificing our bunnies' health for our own.

That's interesting, thanks! It looks like the ingredient list is pretty much the same length though 11 ingredients (grain free) Vs 12 ingredients (normal). Slightly less fibre, and no sodium.

As I say, we're considering it for our health, rather than a belief the world needs to be grain free, so I want to be sure we're not sacrificing our bunnies' health for our own.

oh yeah - I get that. I was just pointing out that there isn't a real need in regards to the bunnies health. but for you & your partners health, I don't believe it would do any harm. but there aren't any studies that show any benefits for grain free (or negatives), its just more of a "fad" thing that was picked up from dogs/cats it would seem at least.

I made a booboo, the ingredients aren't much different re how much, I was very tired when I wrote my post :oops: I think I was thinking of something very different. I need to pay more attention when I write things :lol:

Last edited:

Uh oh...

So I have this one, this bag is new I bought it a week ago. Idk if this helps x

Sent via carrier pigeon
bd67943a8084b67753e0379533406a41.jpg
e6dfee0d0be27c7a7371d8135ef939ce.jpg

yeah, what :? that doesn't really seem too useful. my eyes are too poor so I didn't zoom in on the bag, just read what they have on the webpage. I guess its varying and they just put the middle average? I'm not sure.

I tried my two on the grain free SS and they didn't like it at all. I thought it would be 'better' for them, so am pleased to read that there would be no real benefit in me persevering and they can stay on the usual SS. They will be happy!!!

I used to feed grain free to piggies. I now think that for both piggies and bunnies, it probably makes little difference as long as a really small amount is fed per day.

I used to feed grain free to piggies. I now think that for both piggies and bunnies, it probably makes little difference as long as a really small amount is fed per day.
Yea I think so too, my 4 have excel and the grain free ss daily, a tiny amount though, I didn't seek out the grain free I was trying it because my boy bun has gut issues and I've tried so many things and he actually does the best on it..and excel tbh [emoji38] so I've just continued to buy both. I don't really like feeding ss pellets though as I worry about chocking :(

Sent via carrier pigeon

Graciee, that ingredient list does look pretty long! A lot of it looks like mineral additives though.

We've got Woodlands stuff, but I might also look at SS, just to see if they prefer that one. They seem to prefer Burgess, but that doesn't mean they're choosing it because it's better for them!

They'll still get gluten treats I guess, but treats are less crumby.

Back