• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Liver problem: prognosis? treatment? Worried

Thumper98

Warren Scout
Dear RU,

So my girl Lilou hasn't been putting on weight since her dental op (removal of 3 teeth) and has in the past week or so been pooping lots of soft caecotrophs and generally lots of soft poop, mainly in the morning. The general amount of hard poop is also decreasing. The vets are puzzled, as am i, since she is eating OK on her own, doesnt seem to be in discomfort or pain and is getting lots of protexin pellets to help with fiber. I am also giving her critical care 3x a day. So it's not a classic case of low fiber.

Yesterday they took blood samples again and it turns out there is something going on with her liver. She has been put on liver supplements and an anti biotic for coccidia (just in case). This is surprising to me as her results before the op came out OK. Why has her liver suddenly declined??

The vet says that in order to find out exactly what is wrong with her liver, they would have to do an ultrasound but would like to see if the liver supplements work first.

I don't feel good about this. I started her on the liver supplements and new meds last night and ok, its only been 2 doses, but i dont see any change. I have done a bit of sleuthing on the internet of my own and it seems there is something called hepatic lipidosis? Apparently it is very serious and if not treated immediately, can lead to death by liver failure. I don't want to wait to see if it is that or not. Would prefer to just find out and treat the condition immediately. Rabbits can go quickly and i really dont want to wake up one day to find her gone.

Has anyone had any experience with hepatic lipidosis? What is the prognosis, what is the treatment?

To anyone who knows, here are her liver results::cry:

ALT - 72 HIGH
AST - 35 LOW
ALKP - 33 LOW

I am really worried. She is gaining weight (i weigh her 2x a day) but doesn't seem to be absorbing the nutrients or helping her overall condition.

thank you!!

I don’t have any experience so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes for her xx

Hepatic lipidosis is usually associated with long periods ie more than 24 hours of not eating, therefore the liver becomes fatty and then isn't able to perform as it should. Unless you know that your rabbit has not eaten at all for that period of time hepatic lipidosis seems unlikely.

I have had a rabbit that had severe liver problems and he was more poorly after general anaesthetic (the liver needs to process the anaesthetic and if it is compromised then it can't do this as well). In Shadow's case he lost weight and condition and needed a lot of support. In his case it turned out for be a birth defect, we were only able to find that out on PM but it was extremely rare.

I'm hoping you see some improvement soon in your rabbit, whatever the cause.

Hepatic lipidosis is usually associated with long periods ie more than 24 hours of not eating, therefore the liver becomes fatty and then isn't able to perform as it should. Unless you know that your rabbit has not eaten at all for that period of time hepatic lipidosis seems unlikely.

I have had a rabbit that had severe liver problems and he was more poorly after general anaesthetic (the liver needs to process the anaesthetic and if it is compromised then it can't do this as well). In Shadow's case he lost weight and condition and needed a lot of support. In his case it turned out for be a birth defect, we were only able to find that out on PM but it was extremely rare.

I'm hoping you see some improvement soon in your rabbit, whatever the cause.

Thank you Bunny Buddy. She had a dental op about 3 weeks ago and did go under GA for this. She was also not eating well the period before her op, although I highly doubt there was ever a period where she went 24 hours without food, since she was still nibbling and I also intervened with critical care feeding.

Dear RU,

So my girl Lilou hasn't been putting on weight since her dental op (removal of 3 teeth) and has in the past week or so been pooping lots of soft caecotrophs and generally lots of soft poop, mainly in the morning. The general amount of hard poop is also decreasing. The vets are puzzled, as am i, since she is eating OK on her own, doesnt seem to be in discomfort or pain and is getting lots of protexin pellets to help with fiber. I am also giving her critical care 3x a day. So it's not a classic case of low fiber.

Yesterday they took blood samples again and it turns out there is something going on with her liver. She has been put on liver supplements and an anti biotic for coccidia (just in case). This is surprising to me as her results before the op came out OK. Why has her liver suddenly declined??

The vet says that in order to find out exactly what is wrong with her liver, they would have to do an ultrasound but would like to see if the liver supplements work first.

I don't feel good about this. I started her on the liver supplements and new meds last night and ok, its only been 2 doses, but i dont see any change. I have done a bit of sleuthing on the internet of my own and it seems there is something called hepatic lipidosis? Apparently it is very serious and if not treated immediately, can lead to death by liver failure. I don't want to wait to see if it is that or not. Would prefer to just find out and treat the condition immediately. Rabbits can go quickly and i really dont want to wake up one day to find her gone.

Has anyone had any experience with hepatic lipidosis? What is the prognosis, what is the treatment?

To anyone who knows, here are her liver results::cry:

ALT - 72 HIGH
AST - 35 LOW
ALKP - 33 LOW

I am really worried. She is gaining weight (i weigh her 2x a day) but doesn't seem to be absorbing the nutrients or helping her overall condition.

thank you!!

My PC is not playing nicely at the moment so I am unable to post a lengthy reply, but maybe these links would be useful to take a look at

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Hepatic_coccidiosis_rabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HepaticLipidosisRabbit.htm

https://rabbit.org/liver-hepatic-disease-in-rabbits/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Man/LagomorphOverviews/Clinical Pathology_Rabbits.htm

*Warning some graphic images on these links*

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/RO-Spring-17-Megacolon.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Mega/mega_en.htm

Back