• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets fees - how much have you spent??

Hiya

I was actually just thinking about this earlier on today before I even looked at these posts!! Often dread lookin at credit card bill!

I think so far this year I have spent approx £400 on my bunnies - about £380 of that on just the one bunny!! It has been an expensive year for her!! Pippa (my oldest, most expensive bun!) had one of her mammary glands removed in May which cost me £200, then 6 weeks ago she had an abcess on her foot removed which was £100. Last week it was another £34 as she had a very snuffly throat. And the rest of that amount is vaccinations, additional trips to vet to look at foot, lump etc! Must admit I did get a very good price for the abcess on foot - she stayed in overnight, had painkillers, antibiotics etc. Was very impressed with that, was expecting nearer £150!! It's good using vets connected with work :)

Had Amy (my little bun) vaccinated and I'm off to the vets again in an hours time with Amy as Princess (my foster bunny) has bitten her nose through the wire!! So I expect the bill will be another £20 - £30!

I think most of what I earn goes on my bunnies - but I would spend any amount as long as my babies are ok :) I have thought about insurance but I think I am prob saving more over their lifetime so prefer to save it and use it as and when it is needed.

Don't you just love them - always getting into scrapes!! :D

Nicola

vets fees

Over the past 7 years when I came down with this wonderfull bunnylove disease myself it has cost me approximately spay/neuter £45.00 x10. Vaccinations only done this year for Mxyi on my surviving 11 buns £165.The vet didnt charge the call out fee of £45 and my Dad took pity in me and paid the bill for me as a oneoff. Several appointment/consulation fees at £10 a time and several courses of antibiotics by jab and orally £5. Longer stays in at the vets for head tilt/pasteurella(!!) £65, even longer treatment for tear duct flushing and skull x-rays £75.My darling Fudges treatment when he lost the use of his rear legs £70.Teeth trimming every 4-6 wks at £4 a time.Mite injections of Invermectin£20.Stitching of bite wound £15. De-matting of a rescue bun and removal of a breeders ring£30 Thats it so far altho Iknow it will not be all as my buns have come to me mostly from unwanted homes so they are afew years old when I get them. Lets not forget the specially made hutches at £35-60 EACH to fit my shed £300 with lights£25 and heating£30. Food bills of £6 FOR A&P AND bale of hay£2.50 every 6 weeks. Thank goodnes s I get free wood shavings and loads of newpapers given me.
I WOULDN'T SWAP THEM FOR THE WORLD
bunnylove- Lynne :roll:

Wow that is lots! But as you said, wouldn't swap them for the world!!

I've added another £30 to my total courtesy of this evening! Baytril for 5 days .... little monkey sticking her nose in others houses!! Vet said she has a cheeky look about her - u can say that again! :D

Nicola

Have just looked back, and since October 03, including vacs and neutering, Evo has cost me £474.43. Have had £215 of that back from Petplan.

I did add up my total costs last year, it ran into several thousand just for vet bills :shock: :shock: . A nice glass of Baileys got me over that shock and I refuse to total up the entries in my book now :? . As Jay says, it's only money.
I canceled my rabbit insurance as I found that taking in so many rabbits that already have problems, it was pointless.

Dorothy said:
I did add up my total costs last year, it ran into several thousand just for vet bills :shock: :shock: . A nice glass of Baileys got me over that shock and I refuse to total up the entries in my book now :? . As Jay says, it's only money.
I canceled my rabbit insurance as I found that taking in so many rabbits that already have problems, it was pointless.

Well flip Dorothy - I don't even touch alcohol - a packet of wine gums and I'm anybodys :shock: :lol: :lol: I have never totalled the bills up but I know that they run into thousands. Oh well, who needs new carpets, curtains, woodwork etc ...... Pointless really, the buns would only eat them again :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As for rabbit insurance - Pet Plan phoned us and when they heard how many buns we had they must have thought that they had died and gone to heaven :) Soon as they heard the ages and disablities of the buns they where off the phone before you could say "Rabbit" :roll: :lol: :lol: It really isn't worth me getting insurance for the buns - no-one would touch half the stuff they have wrong with them.
Hey, perhaps someone out there could total up how much it would be a month for 30 rabbits to be insured - or dare anyone want the shock :shock:

After thinking about it for a long time and discussing it with my husband, I have now decided to cancel the rabbit insurances and put the £60/month aside instead. The dogs remain insured.

Vera

£9/month (PetPlan) - if you live in certain areas it comes in a bit cheaper but the RG postcode (where I live) is one of the more expensive!!

For 30 rabbits = £270 a month = £3240 a year - :shock: ouch!!

Don't know if they do discounts for more than one rabbit.

Also £50 excess each time you claim, and if bunnys are already over 5 you can't get insurance, they won't cover existing problems - there are many problems with insuring rabbits. If I had a dog it would be insured - I saw the bill when my mother-in-laws dog got ill - and it is always doing stupid things like trying to jump barbed wire fences (it is 14 for gods sake - not a puppy)!!

Caz

I think if you are paying for a lot of pets each month, it is better to put the money to one side than paying the insurance companies.

I have just moved my rabbit insurance as the company I originally joined would only pay for an illness within that year, and when the policy was up for renewal it would possibly be excluded.

So I have joined PetPlan and they cover each illness and injury for life.

I am hoping though that I wont have to use it, but I prefer to have insurance for peace of mind.

Carole

My 3 aren't insured, and I don't think I'll be getting them covered - too many exclusions of all the expensive/usual problems to justify it. I put a bit away each month, so I would find the money to treat them if and when they need it.

I haven't dug out my receipts, but I know my last 2 cost me a bit - just a shame it didn't help in the end. :( Molly was a rescue, so I didn't really know how old she was (the centre found her in a field by some houses, where her owners had let her go on purpose as they no longer wanted her). She had an abcess (sp?) near her cheek once, which was dealt with and healed, but then later we found a lump under her dewlap. She had it removed, and was spayed to remove a lump growing inside her. She tried to get over it, but didn't make it, and in the end we had to have her put to sleep. My other bun Kevin (The Teenager - was a teenage grump when we got him) came from an auction where they sold live rabbits to be eaten (no joke) - he was the only one there that day, and I just couldn't let him go in a pie! £1.10p he cost me, and that was all (except vaccs) until he went into shock when Molly got ill. Took them to the vets together, and they tried to help him with a drip, heat pad and so on, but he didn't pull through. Still feel bad about leaving him there. :(

Sorry, enough sad story! (can you tell I still miss them?) So I think that lot came to around £500 (more if you're counting their jabs), and for 3 1/2 years with those 2 that was well worth it. I just think I can always earn more money, but I'll never have the same bunnies back, so I have to give them every chance. They mean too much to me not to!

Jo

Well, the Sanctuary rabbits vaccinations cost 1000 pounds as basic a Year.
To Buy medicines for rabbits with ongoing medical problems, around 8o pounds a Month.
, so thats 1960 pounds Annually before anything else.
Taking into account surgery that is required, castrations, sorting out absesses and teeth, then
I estimate its in the region of 3500 pounds Total (with the vaccinations, medicines inclusive) a year..big gulp :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: fainting fit..but this is just the average year, and does not account for one rabbit running up a 600 pound bill which can happen!

Absolute financial nightmare, , but a critical part of the rabbits care.... :roll:

Back