Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adopting 3 year old bun - new to rabbits

Default Adopting 3 year old bun - new to rabbits

Hi! Iím new to rabbits. Iíve had rats and lots of other animals (cats, dogs, chickens, ducks, etc) and Iíve cared for rabbits, but never had my own. Iíve been slowly acquiring things to get my first bunny, and now a local is rehoming their 3yo lop. She is 3, not spayed, and the owner says, isnít very friendly, but isnít mean. Just tolerates people.

I donít know a ton about rabbit behavior. I would prefer a bunny who I already know the temperament of as opposed to a young rabbit who could develop into anything. But I know her personality could also change after sheís spayed too, right? Does spaying typically make them more friendly or could it be anything?

Also, could she become more friendly in a home with lots of TLC and time and attention? Or are rabbits personalities pretty set? Iím not sure if theyíre dependent on environment or set as they age.

In short, there arenít good rabbit options around here. Just pet and feed stores. Iíd much rather give a rabbit a home who needs it. But I also donít want a standoffish bun who doesnít like people. What are my options?

Wise Old Thumper

Bump!

Wise Old Thumper

Have cross-posted in Rabbit Chat

Her temperament could improve after she has been spayed, but she may never really want much human company. All of my rabbits apart from my current bunny Frosty, and my bridge house bunny, Boots have been pretty indifferent to humans and were happier doing their own thing. If she is an outside rabbit she will really need the company of another rabbit, and if her temperament remains the same, she will also need another rabbit to keep her company if she is indoors.

I think maybe once she is spayed and becomes used to a caring owner she may be more accepting of humans, however I wouldnít think she would ever become a cuddle bunny.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Wise Old Thumper

It is a gamble whenever you take on a rabbit as to what they are like. Female rabbits are quite territorial so maybe she doesn't like people going into her space, but if that rabbit was allowed more space and time to grow in confidence, she might well become very lovable. All my Does are lovely really, and if you are kind to them they learn to trust you and treat you the same way.

Thanks!
    I'm fine with her being indifferent. I like the idea of getting an older bunny who I know isn't aggressive. She seems to be being really up front with me about what she's like and what her needs are (she has some minor dental needs). I like the idea of giving her a good home and knowing what I'm getting into. She does say that she goes through cycles of being friendly and being secluded. I think that likely has to do with her hormonal cycle, which will change after she's spayed, yes?

She's an indoor bunny and would be indoor here too.

I would love to get her a companion bunny at some point, but I need to do a lot more learning about bunny bonding before I embark on that.

One thing she said was that she needs her teeth trimmed often. She said her original owner who bought her as a baby never gave her things to gnaw on and she never learned to chew down her own teeth. I don't mind getting that done. But I was wondering if that's a skill I could help her acquire? I also thought it might be an underbite or something they weren't aware of, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    It is a gamble whenever you take on a rabbit as to what they are like. Female rabbits are quite territorial so maybe she doesn't like people going into her space, but if that rabbit was allowed more space and time to grow in confidence, she might well become very lovable. All my Does are lovely really, and if you are kind to them they learn to trust you and treat you the same way.
    Thank you. My sister had a very territorial doe when we were growing up and she became quite a biter. Though looking back I don't think she got the care and interaction she really needed.

Does spaying tend to help with the territorial behavior some? Or is that just the norm regardless?

Oh, I also think maybe it's possible she isn't offered enough hay to keep her teeth trimmed and too much feed. Is that a possibility? The pics she's sent show a lot of pelleted and minimal hay.

On further inspection, she may not have any hay at all. What I thought was a pile of hay appears to be a hay hut.
    Last edited by Elieb; 20-11-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elieb View Post
    Oh, I also think maybe it's possible she isn't offered enough hay to keep her teeth trimmed and too much feed. Is that a possibility? The pics she's sent show a lot of pelleted and minimal hay.

On further inspection, she may not have any hay at all. What I thought was a pile of hay appears to be a hay hut.
    It is possible that if you can wean her on to eating less pellets gradually, and get her eating lots of hay, that she won’t need dentals so frequently, but it could be the shape of her jaw and her alignment of teeth might mean that regular dentals will still be necessary.

You could offer her rabbit safe wood such as apple tree twigs to gnaw on too

I’m sure she will be very happy with you

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    It is possible that if you can wean her on to eating less pellets gradually, and get her eating lots of hay, that she won’t need dentals so frequently, but it could be the shape of her jaw and her alignment of teeth might mean that regular dentals will still be necessary.

You could offer her rabbit safe wood such as apple tree twigs to gnaw on too

I’m sure she will be very happy with you
    Thank you! I don't mind taking her for dentals when she needs them I just hope it's an easier fix for her sake. Getting her teeth trimmed that frequently must not be fun.

I'm excited to meet her! I'm gonna go out and grab hay and some safe chewies today.