• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disinfecting a Large Tunnel

zarathustra

Warren Scout
I have taken the boys hutch apart, and that will be getting treated with Virkon before it goes to the skip, they the patior will get cleaned and disinfected, followed by their run (it's one of the Run-A-Round binky box type things so is entirely comprised of weld mesh) and the roof cover.

Hopefully a couple of treatments with virkon will ensure that the risk posed from cross contamination will be miniscule, and obviously ensuring our new rabbits are fully, and correctly vaccinated will help.

One question I have is whether there is a good way to disinfect the large Run-A-Round tunnel that connected the old hutch to the run? It's 6ft so while I can spray it through with the pressure washer and run Virkon through it it is too long for me to reach all the way through to make sure theres nothing trapped in the ridges etc.

We don't have anything large enough to fill with disinfectant and soak the tunnel, but I'd prefer not to get rid of it if possible.

Does anyone have any ides?

I would get it as clean as possible outside, then leave it soaking in the bath. Put a towel or a long bathmat underneath it to stop it scratching the bath. Or use a wheely bin? You only need it for a short time, so it shouldn't be too inconvenient. You can rotate it or do each end separately if it's not quite big enough to dunk the whole thing in at once.

I would get it as clean as possible outside, then leave it soaking in the bath. Put a towel or a long bathmat underneath it to stop it scratching the bath. Or use a wheely bin? You only need it for a short time, so it shouldn't be too inconvenient. You can rotate it or do each end separately if it's not quite big enough to dunk the whole thing in at once.

I was going to suggest doing it in two halves.

Back