• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best way to use Virkon

I’ve only used the Virkon powder, it’s very good and a little powder makes a lot of disinfectant. I’ve used that and Ark-klens to mop a waterproof laminate floor, and it didn’t damage it in any way. The spray will be ready to use and although it’s convenient they aren’t such good value for money normally.

Hi the link I posted is Virkon tablets that you dissolve in the spray bottle, it's not a ready made spray if that makes sense.

Is it a case of wiping on and wiping off using Virkon or do you need to leave it for a few minutes ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi the link I posted is Virkon tablets that you dissolve in the spray bottle, it's not a ready made spray if that makes sense.

Is it a case of wiping on and wiping off using Virkon or do you need to leave it for a few minutes ?

Ah I see, yes I’ve just had a look.

I’ve not got the tub with me, it’s outside in the shed, but mine was Virkon S powder, I don’t know if it’s different to what you have linked,it looks different so I don’t know if it’s effective against the same things, I seem to remember I wet mopped it with lots of the liquid, then left for a while (I can’t remember what the contact time was but 10mins seems to ring a bell) and then mopped off.

Thanks, just need to find out what rhe difference between the Virkon and Virkon S is now.

it used to be called Virkon and then they brought out VirkonS as a new replacement, but I think it’s been called VirkonS for a good 5 years or more.

it used to be called Virkon and then they brought out VirkonS as a new replacement, but I think it’s been called VirkonS for a good 5 years or more.

Yes, I remember standing in the farm supply shop being thoroughly confused at the change-over!
I used to use it in the rabbit hutches and runs but now I no longer have rabbits I use it to clean Bella-cat's litter trays and put it in the washing machine when washing her blankets etc.

Virkon is the trade name. There are a few different varieties. Virkon S is the one you need. You can get sachets, tablets or tubs of it. I got a tub a while ago as we had a stray kitten with ringworm in isolation in a house full of furries (and us). I also used it in a microbiology lab to clean the worktops. The full usage info is here:

http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/VirkonBrochure.pdf

Basically, you need a 1:100 dilution for most applications.
A 50g sachet makes 5 litres of disinfectant, or 2 x 5g tablets in a litre.
Tubs come with a measuring scoop.

Disinfection is effective if concentration and contact time are followed. Contact time isn't very clear, but 10 mins is quoted for parvovirus. So leave the floor wet (damp) for 10 mins, or soak items for at least 10 mins at the recommended dilution. FHB (rabbit vet) said RHD was similar to the cat Calicivirus which is listed on the info sheet. Air drying is always best to maximise the disinfectant effectiveness - uv / sunshine also helps the effect. If it leaves a slightly gritty film on the floor, it can be wiped off after, although the formulation is much better than I remember when we used it in the lab.

You can soak bowls, toys, etc in it in a bucket. It can be used in the washing machine for bedding, clothes, etc in with the washing powder.
If you make up a spray bottle, it will keep for a week - which is pretty good for a disinfectant, and handy for random daily cleaning. It does lose its colour and degrade to chlorine compounds, so starts to smell of bleach if you keep it too long.

It's quite nice stuff considering how effective it is - a pink solution with a slight lemon scent and it doesn't wreck your hands - but gloves should really be worn by the user.

Virkon is the trade name. There are a few different varieties. Virkon S is the one you need. You can get sachets, tablets or tubs of it. I got a tub a while ago as we had a stray kitten with ringworm in isolation in a house full of furries (and us). I also used it in a microbiology lab to clean the worktops. The full usage info is here:

http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/VirkonBrochure.pdf

Basically, you need a 1:100 dilution for most applications.
A 50g sachet makes 5 litres of disinfectant, or 2 x 5g tablets in a litre.
Tubs come with a measuring scoop.

Disinfection is effective if concentration and contact time are followed. Contact time isn't very clear, but 10 mins is quoted for parvovirus. So leave the floor wet (damp) for 10 mins, or soak items for at least 10 mins at the recommended dilution. FHB (rabbit vet) said RHD was similar to the cat Calicivirus which is listed on the info sheet. Air drying is always best to maximise the disinfectant effectiveness - uv / sunshine also helps the effect. If it leaves a slightly gritty film on the floor, it can be wiped off after, although the formulation is much better than I remember when we used it in the lab.

You can soak bowls, toys, etc in it in a bucket. It can be used in the washing machine for bedding, clothes, etc in with the washing powder.
If you make up a spray bottle, it will keep for a week - which is pretty good for a disinfectant, and handy for random daily cleaning. It does lose its colour and degrade to chlorine compounds, so starts to smell of bleach if you keep it too long.

It's quite nice stuff considering how effective it is - a pink solution with a slight lemon scent and it doesn't wreck your hands - but gloves should really be worn by the user.

Great post ^^ :thumb:

Back