• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Painting a Rabbit Shed

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

We have a shed for our rabbits arriving this Thursday and I'm so excited! It has taken us weeks to prepare the space for it but we're finally ready. I'm going to make a thread soon with progress pics :)

My question is, what paint do you recommend for painting it? We used Cuprinol Garden Shades on our greenhouse which still looks pretty good one year on with no flaking.

I'd ideally like an environmentally friendly paint which is not tested on animals and does not contain animal products, but this seems really hard to achieve! There's a brand called 'Earthborn' which are very eco, but their paint contains casein. There's another brand 'Auro' who are vegan but they don't do exterior wood paint :/

I can't find any info on Cuprinol's ethics, but the paint does come in a metal tin (full recyclable) and I know it is safe if the rabbits have a cheeky nibble. I need to order some asap.

Any suggestions always appreciated! Our wooden back door desperately needs painting too, so I'm thinking to paint both in the same colour :)

Generally, to be protective, exterior paint will need to contain some sort of oil to repel water. That's either achieved using petroleum (hard to dispose of) or animal products (ethical nightmare). Cuprinol certainly produce plenty of petroleum-based products, but I don't know what their stance is beyond that.

Generally, to be protective, exterior paint will need to contain some sort of oil to repel water. That's either achieved using petroleum (hard to dispose of) or animal products (ethical nightmare). Cuprinol certainly produce plenty of petroleum-based products, but I don't know what their stance is beyond that.

Yes, I get the feeling that it's going to be impossible to find a paint that ticks all of the boxes :/ I might have to settle with Cuprinol as I know it's safe for the rabbits if they chew it.

Sounds good:thumb: do you know if it is safe if bunnies chew it ?
I tried to find the chemical information but it doesn't appear to be on the website! The FAQ talks about VOCs etc. but I couldn't find anything about hwhy it's environmentally friendly, what's specifically in each finish and the like :(

That's what we're doing - going for the 'Muted Clay' colour :) However, it's nice to know for painting our house that there's a cruelty-free brand available in the UK :)
Yea thanks for flagging that company up ^^ I've gotta paint an entire house inside and out in the near future and I've just been looking at farrow and ball colours, too scared to look if they're cruelty free, but that brand has some really nice colours :D

Sent via carrier pigeon

Back