• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've got Myself in a bit of a Muddle

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I have done the most awful thing you could possibly do. I thought it would be a good idea to bond a pair of rabbits, both 7.5 who have always been together, with a single female. The single has a 7 x 5 shed so room for 2 more, giving her company and meaning the pair could live in a shed instead of a hutch. To cut a longish story short, the male of the pair has bonded really well with the single, but the female of the pair was just sitting ina corner and in the end stopped eating. Going to continue in a minute soas not to get logged out.

So I separated Daisy to monitor her and she is now doing fine but of course she is on her own. So, what do you think I should do. I have split 2 rabbits up which have been bonded for 7 years. Rupert seems very happy with his new wifebun but what about poor Daisy.

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm afraid I can't help, as I haven't bonded rabbits, but really hope you can get them sorted, I'm sure someone will come along with some help.

I think I would put the original pair back together by themselves for tonight. Then tomorrow I would give it one more try to bond them as a trio and if that didn't work I would try your single doe with another rabbit or rabbits.

I wouldn't like the thought of splitting up a pair that had been bonded for that long :(

Sometimes rabbits just don't want to do what we think would be best for them :(

I think I would put back together the pair who were already bonded and remove the other girlie. Horrible situation for all of you.
You could perhaps try again in a couple of days?

Cross posted with Omi. I share her opinion.

I agree with Omi and Babsie. So sorry you are in this situation. Sending lots of bonding vibes xx

Thanks guys. I am going to try one last time to get the 3 together. Daisy has always been a shy rabbit and her Husbun Rupert seems so much happier now with Annie.

Good luck.

Part of me says many middle-aged men would love you have you as their marriage counsellor ;)...

I really hope there is a positive outcome whatever happens. Whoever said that bunnies were easy to care for?!

They are very complex creatures! My friend thinks I should try bonding Daisy with Dusty, he's now 10.5. It is so cold at the moment, I can't spend any longer outside than I have to. Fortunately, Daisy is quite chirpy now and eating well.

I was just thinking about your situation and wondered how things have gone since :wave:

Back