• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Late for RHD2 booster

Steph2790

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

So I’ve just received a call from my local vets 4 pets to say that they have run out of rhd2 vaccines (Lily was booked in tomorrow for her booster)

They’ve got a fresh batch arriving Monday morning but they couldn’t fit me in until Tuesday evening :( which means she will go 1 day over the 12 month period since her last vaccination (19th nov 2017)

I’m such a worrier anyway but can anyone advise wether this is really bad? Should I try and get her seen at another practice?

I have a work colleague over the road with a rabbit (unvaccinated) whom i have tried to stress the importance of vaccinations to but as far as I know we haven’t had any rhd2 outbreaks in the close local area.

The closest confirmed case was approx 3 or so miles away which although worries me I’ve always managed to take some comfort from the fact all of my rabbits are up to date with their vaccinations - until now.

Thanks guys for any advice :)

Hi everyone,

So I’ve just received a call from my local vets 4 pets to say that they have run out of rhd2 vaccines (Lily was booked in tomorrow for her booster)

They’ve got a fresh batch arriving Monday morning but they couldn’t fit me in until Tuesday evening :( which means she will go 1 day over the 12 month period since her last vaccination (19th nov 2017)

I’m such a worrier anyway but can anyone advise wether this is really bad? Should I try and get her seen at another practice?

I have a work colleague over the road with a rabbit (unvaccinated) whom i have tried to stress the importance of vaccinations to but as far as I know we haven’t had any rhd2 outbreaks in the close local area.

The closest confirmed case was approx 3 or so miles away which although worries me I’ve always managed to take some comfort from the fact all of my rabbits are up to date with their vaccinations - until now.

If it is Filavac it is licenced to provide immunity for 12 months.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

The immunity does not just suddenly stop on the exact day that the booster is due, there is likely to be some residual immunity remaining after that time. So I would not worry too much about waiting until Tuesday for the booster. But I would continue to emphasis how irresponsible it is of your colleague to not vaccinate her Rabbit.

Maybe you could print this info off for her to read :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/rabbit-vhd/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/rvhd-further-reading/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/myxomatosis/

If the last RHD2 Vaccine your Rabbit had was Eravac then the duration of immunity is only 9 months

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/eravac-uk-datasheet-0.pdf

Hi everyone,

Hiya Steph :wave:

If it was Filavac that she had (and in my experience it seems to be the one that most vets stock) then it's duration of immunity is 12 months. In that case I really wouldn't worry, as immunity doesn't suddenly drop off, but it tapers off so there is very likely to be some residual immunity to RHD2 from her previous vaccine.

I really wouldn't worry at all and just keep the appointment at your normal vet practice :)

Thank you for the reassurance Jack’sJane & MightyMax :D

It was indeed Filavac that she had last year.

It’s a little annoying that I rang over 2 weeks ago to try and book her in and they could only fit me in tomorrow to then be told someone had took the last vaccine today :roll: but at least it’s another bunny vaccinated I suppose.

The work colleague situation is frustrating. Up until a few months ago she thought it would be a good idea to bring her rabbit to the nursery where I work to live there permanently.

Well that caused so much upset for me. The poor thing stayed in a tiny indoor cage, was fed rubbish food & not fed anywhere near enough hay. She became so stressed by the kids and also got really territorial over the tiny space (was also upspayed) she would bite & lunge when you put your hands in her cage.

It absolutely broke my heart. She would have a full bowl of food left on a Friday and then would be on her own until Monday morning :cry: I tried my hardest to care for her as much as a could by stuffing her cage with hay, changing her onto burgess excel and convincing one of the parents to build her a run for outside :)

I would get her out first thing in the morning before the kids arrived and generally just try and make it known that I was there for her (as silly as that sounds) but I just loved seeing her little face waiting to jump out that tiny prison cell first thing in the morning.

Why can’t people see that they can’t treat any animal like this?

Well to cut a long & upsetting story short after having many a disagreement over the care she was getting my colleague was told to take her rabbit home because of the risk of the children getting bit. But I bet the poor things not getting treated any better, I just wanted to take her to a rehoming centre where I know she would be treated a million times better.

I will definitely give her some advice on the importance of vaccination - she obviously understands to some extent as her new puppy is fully vaccinated :roll: but it’s the ‘it’s only a rabbit’ attitude that makes me really mad. I gave her my old 5ft double hutch when we upgraded to the 6ft chartwell doubles and got it out the pathetic excuse of a hutch it was living in and always give her my old toys, litter trays and thing when mine have been spoilt rotten but short of taking it myself to be vaccinated or at least registered with a vet I feel powerless to help.

It’s so sad saying it but I don’t think she would even care if her rabbit did die, whereas I live in absolute fear of anything ever happening to my 4 babies x

Last edited:

It’s a little annoying that I rang over 2 weeks ago to try and book her in and they could only fit me in tomorrow to then be told someone had took the last vaccine today :roll: but at least it’s another bunny vaccinated I suppose.

The work colleague situation is frustrating. Up until a few months ago she thought it would be a good idea to bring her rabbit to the nursery where I work to live there permanently.

Well that caused so much upset for me. The poor thing stayed in a tiny indoor cage, was fed rubbish food & not fed anywhere near enough hay. She became so stressed by the kids and also got really territorial over the tiny space (was also upspayed) she would bite & lunge when you put your hands in her cage.

It absolutely broke my heart. She would have a full bowl of food left on a Friday and then would be on her own until Monday morning :cry: I tried my hardest to care for her as much as a could by stuffing her cage with hay, changing her onto burgess excel and convincing one of the parents to build her a run for outside :)

I would get her out first thing in the morning before the kids arrived and generally just try and make it known that I was there for her (as silly as that sounds) but I just loved seeing her little face waiting to jump out that tiny prison cell first thing in the morning.

Well to cut a long & upsetting story short after having many a disagreement over the care she was getting my colleague was told to take her rabbit home because of the risk of the children getting bit. But I bet the poor things not getting treated any better, I just wanted to take her to a rehoming centre where I know she would be treated a million times better.

I will definitely give her some advice on the importance of vaccination - she obviously understands to some extent as her new puppy is fullly vaccinated :roll: but it’s the ‘it’s only a rabbit’ attitude that makes me really mad. I gave her my old 5ft double hutch when we upgraded to the 6ft chartwell doubles and got it out the pathetic excuse of a hutch it was living in and always give her my old toys, litter trays and thing when mine have been spoilt rotten but short of taking it myself to be vaccinated or at least registered with a vet I feel powerless to help.

It’s so sad saying it but I don’t think she would even care if her rabbit did die, whereas I live in absolute fear of anything ever happening to my 4 babies x

I was so very sad reading your account of your colleague's rabbit :(

Good on you for trying to help and at least providing some better accommodation than she had.

Yes, it's shameful that rabbits are 'disposable' to so many people. A prison cell is about right for what most of them endure :cry:

Regards your vaccination, when I ring up for a vaccination appointment, I ask the nurse to actually put my name on the required vaccines so that they won't be used for another rabbit. The vets I see have plenty of Filavac in stock now, but that wasn't the case last year.

I will definitely give her some advice on the importance of vaccination - she obviously understands to some extent as her new puppy is fullly vaccinated :roll: but it’s the ‘it’s only a rabbit’ attitude that makes me really mad. I gave her my old 5ft double hutch when we upgraded to the 6ft chartwell doubles and got it out the pathetic excuse of a hutch it was living in and always give her my old toys, litter trays and thing when mine have been spoilt rotten but short of taking it myself to be vaccinated or at least registered with a vet I feel powerless to help.

oh my goodness. this rabbit needs rescuing - and your colleague should pay for the vaccinations to be up-to-date beforehand.

Back