• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burgess excel indoor

Ooh I've not seen these, but would be interested to see if anyone had any opinions on the food

They seem the same as their normal pellets? Both have vit D in them... I'd love to know what the differences are? Currently I'm thinking it's marketing... (but I've not thoroughly looked/compared them)

Sent via carrier pigeon

basically........... (as there was a previous thread and I remember typing a paragraph or 10 :lol:)

the entire thing is just a marketing ploy, same as "grain free for rabbits" or "beneficial fibre" listed on packaging of rabbit food. there isn't any real need for a indoor rabbit. yes they're not as much outside as outdoor rabbit therefore you would think they lack in vitamin D, but they don't. if you're feeding a well balanced diet, handful of veggies, some dried forage, good quality hay then they'll be just as healthy as the outdoor. the pellet (providing it is high quality) will provide everything they already need so anything on top is more just an added bonus.

the price is hefty too for that 1.5kg bag (yikes) so I just wouldn't bother. for that price you can get 2kg of their standard food, but also as they sell the standard in bulk you can get more for less once again.

tl;dr: its not really necessary and is probably just catching onto the market (grain free for dogs and cats, indoor for indoor cats) without much consideration. otherwise, before they came out with this we would be seeing a lot of cases with rabbits who are vitamin D deficient...which wasn't the case.

I wouldn't change your buns current food to it. its it bad nutritionally? no. but the price & the fact to me, it isn't worth it.

they'll be getting all their vitamins from good hay, their pellet ration and a handful of fresh veggies/herbs each day, and any dried forage you may or may not feed.

yeah - here was the previous thread (although there may have been others)
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...t-do-you-think&highlight=burgess+excel+indoor

SarahP also made a good point on that thread, that in the wild rabbits are dawn and dusk animals. so they would not be out in the sun anyhow and would probably receive their vitamin D from the food that they eat. our pet bunnies are still similar, more active around dawn and dusk and you can see that in outdoors usually. during the day they're hidden away, although that isn't to say that they don't come out as they do, just usually a lot less. and then suddenly its dawn/dusk, or night, and they come out to sing the song of their people and wake you up :lol:

indoor rabbits not so much as the lighting inside the home can screw with their ability to know dawn or dusk. but even so, the point from wildies still stands :)

oopsies, the thread didnt refresh so I didn't see the above post :oops:

Back